The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone tried the herbs Bitter Melon and Banaba leaf for diabetes. I'd be interested in any feedback on your experiences.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in Oct 2010. I take Metformin 500 mg 2 X day and 300 mg ALA. as well as vitamins.

I've lost some sensation in my legs and hands. My legs are cold a lot which I find very distressing and occaisional nmbness in my hand. very distressing symptoms.

What really freaks me out is I felt fine and able to walk in Sept 2010. But after my diagnosis on Oct 6 2010, I've gone downhill very rapidly. I've lost muscle tone in my legs, gotten very weak. I'd had the "tingling in my legs" the first weks I was on Metformin. I couldn't figure out if the weakness was due to high sugar or the metformin. I don't have the tingling any more but my doctor thinks I may have sufferes some neuropathy. How could all this have happened in 12 weeks ?It's very distressing. thanks

·
Registered
930 Posts
scardino58

Hi does anyone tried the herbs Bitter Melon and Banaba leaf for diabetes. I'd be interested in any feedback on your experiences.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in Oct 2010. I take Metformin 500 mg 2 X day and 300 mg ALA. as well as vitamins.

I've lost some sensation in my legs and hands. My legs are cold a lot which I find very distressing and occaisional nmbness in my hand. very distressing symptoms.

What really freaks me out is I felt fine and able to walk in Sept 2010. But after my diagnosis on Oct 6 2010, I've gone downhill very rapidly. I've lost muscle tone in my legs, gotten very weak. I'd had the "tingling in my legs" the first weks I was on Metformin. I couldn't figure out if the weakness was due to high sugar or the metformin. I don't have the tingling any more but my doctor thinks I may have sufferes some neuropathy. How could all this have happened in 12 weeks ?It's very distressing. thanks
i think you might be better off starting your own thread rather than hi-jacking someone else's thread.

Bitter Melon is one of the many toxins used to screw up your digestion so you absorb glucose slower.

lowering your blood glucose after being high can have several unpleasant effects, some people recommend bringing your BG down slowly to reduce this effect.

just as "you are what you eat", when you enter the shock of finding out that you have a life long illness many people panic and imagine the symptoms even when they don't have them so it may be that "you are as sick as you think you are". with time when you accept yourself as a diabetic this may pass.

milk thistle is used by many people as a liver detoxifier.

Welcome to the club that you never wanted to join.

ColaJim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think you might be better off starting your own thread rather than hi-jacking someone else's thread.

Bitter Melon is one of the many toxins used to screw up your digestion so you absorb glucose slower.

lowering your blood glucose after being high can have several unpleasant effects, some people recommend bringing your BG down slowly to reduce this effect.

just as "you are what you eat", when you enter the shock of finding out that you have a life long illness many people panic and imagine the symptoms even when they don't have them so it may be that "you are as sick as you think you are". with time when you accept yourself as a diabetic this may pass.

milk thistle is used by many people as a liver detoxifier.

Welcome to the club that you never wanted to join.

ColaJim
sorry. I did not mean to high jack the thread. I am new to this. I guess I did not understand how it works. pls accept my apology.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Aside from the Metformin my Dr. prescribed, I take the following daily:

Fish Oil, Milk Thistle, 81mg Aspirin, Men's Multi-vitamin, 1000iu Vitamin D and Cinnamon.

I don't take cinnamon capsules, I sprinkle mine daily in pancakes, yogurt, smoothies or whatever it will work with ...

I hadn't heard of bitter melon for diabetes before you mentioned it. there's a very short article here and more here though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
ok it is clear know as I was thinking Scardino was the origanal poster not knowing it was moved frome somewhere else.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks, A, for prompting me to explain . . . and it definitely needed to be explained! Mea culpa!

(I think after this - if I can remember - I'll title the new thread as a spin-off from, and then give the old thread's title too.)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Per chance are you taking any other meds like statins. I had something similar happen to me last Spring and Summer. It got so bad that it felt like someone was ripping my muscles out. It turned out it was a bad reaction to a statin I had been on for a year. Once I stopped taking it within a few weeks 80-90% of the symptoms disappeared. But I have been left with very weak muscles which I am trying to rebuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts