The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a 30yr old, 5 '10", 210lbs guy who was recently diagnosed of having diabetes (390.49 mg/dl). I was experiencing the symptoms (dry mouth, blurred vision, weight loss, etc.) and decided to have my blood sugar examined and I was right. My world came crashing down when I heard the bad news. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me with medications and told me to change my diet and lifestyle. After a week of medications, low fat/sugar diet and plenty of water, the symptoms where gone. My vision is back, I don't have dry mouth anymore, even my weight is starting to come back. My life before that is sedentary and I drink a lot of sodas and almost no plain water a day. And recently (that time) powdered juices. The symptoms started when I drank these powdered juices. My questions are:

1. Is it possible that my body was just overwhelmed with all these sugar which made my blood sugar result to be high and have these symptoms?

2. Do the drugs really act that fast?

3. Does that mean I'm only Pre-Diabetic?

Sorry if my questions sounds stupid. I'm really hoping that I don't have diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I really hope you don't have diabetes too, but having clocked a 390 mg/dl, I think you are. Have you had a blood test since diagnosis?

It would be good if you maintained your new regimen, and purchased a meter. They have cheap ones at Walmart & other chains like Kroger & Walgreen - just keep in mind the cost of the strips is the kicker . . . I use the ReliOn Confirm from Walmart & it's as accurate as any but the strips are half the price of many others.

Start checking yourself and see if you can keep your blood sugar under 140 at all times. Going over 140 frequently or staying over 140 for long periods is what causes damage to our bodies, and that damage can add up to the complications you hear about.

This is not the end of the world, and we're happy to help you get adjusted to the lifestyle if you continue visiting with us. Many of us feel that our diagnosis was to our benefit, because it woke us up & we live healthier happier lives as a result. It requires discipline & vigilance, but it is not a death sentence.

take care, PDG . . . and welcome to DF.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello,

I am a 30yr old, 5 '10", 210lbs guy who was recently diagnosed of having diabetes (390.49 mg/dl). I was experiencing the symptoms (dry mouth, blurred vision, weight loss, etc.) and decided to have my blood sugar examined and I was right. My world came crashing down when I heard the bad news. I went to the doctor and she prescribed me with medications and told me to change my diet and lifestyle. After a week of medications, low fat/sugar diet and plenty of water, the symptoms where gone. My vision is back, I don't have dry mouth anymore, even my weight is starting to come back. My life before that is sedentary and I drink a lot of sodas and almost no plain water a day. And recently (that time) powdered juices. The symptoms started when I drank these powdered juices. My questions are:

1. Is it possible that my body was just overwhelmed with all these sugar which made my blood sugar result to be high and have these symptoms?

Sorry if my questions sounds stupid. I'm really hoping that I don't have diabetes.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your blood test of 390, puts you in the diabetic class. You had the usual symptoms of someone with diabetes. Insulin acts fast, some of the oral medication can take a few weeks to start to work. Your blood glucose reading of 390 takes you out of the pre-diabetic class. I hope you have time to visit the forum often, there is plenty of support here to help you through the initial phase of becoming a diabetic. Take care.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello,

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes, changing your diet drastically and starting your meds can bring your blood sugar down that quickly. Even though you were eating poorly before diagnosis, if you were not diabetic, your blood sugar would still be normal. My husband eats enough junk food to put me into a coma and his blood sugar is always perfectly normal :)

As far as "pre-diabetes" goes, I dont put much stock into that label. Mainly for the reason that people tend to think if they are pre-diabetic then its not a real problem..and that is so untrue. It is still a problem. Being pre-diabetic is in my opinion something like being a little bit pregnant :) You either are...or you arent. I think docs are doing a great disservice to their patients by giving them a diagnosis like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Shanny, breezeonby & onaughmae:

Thank you for the response. I've read somewhere that a Pre-Diabetic should have 120 mg/dl or something (correct me if I'm wrong). That puts me way over the limit. I guess I'm still on the denial stage. The reason why I was hoping it to be Pre-Diabetic because there's a 50/50 chance I can reverse the condition back to normal. I like the odds. SH:mad:T!!!!. I really hope I took care of myself better before, so I don't have to live with this disease. We have a family history of being diabetic but I was hoping that it will come at least when I'm 50 or 60. sigh!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@Shanny, breezeonby & onaughmae:

Thank you for the response. I've read somewhere that a Pre-Diabetic should have 120 mg/dl or something (correct me if I'm wrong). That puts me way over the limit. I guess I'm still on the denial stage. The reason why I was hoping it to be Pre-Diabetic because there's a 50/50 chance I can reverse the condition back to normal. I like the odds. SH:mad:T!!!!. I really hope I took care of myself better before, so I don't have to live with this disease. We have a family history of being diabetic but I was hoping that it will come at least when I'm 50 or 60. sigh!
Its ok...really. It isnt a death sentence! :) Many diabetics I know are more healthy than people without diabetes. Once you learn to control your monster and not let it control you, There is absolutely no reason to not live a long and healthy life with diabetes. Many of us have had it since we were young and are still here kicking :)

What is important now is to learn how your diet affects your blood sugar. We are all different, and not all react in exactly the same way. One thing is universal though....carbohydrates increase your blood sugar. It isnt just sweet food. All carbohydrates convert into sugar starting from the moment you start chewing them. This means that plain baked potato that most people think would be just fine, is no different from a serving of chocolate pudding...it is going to do the same thing.

It is important to start being aware of how many carbs you are consuming and how your body is handling those carbs. Some diabetics are able to control their blood sugar with diet and exercise. They may have to be more carb constricted than someone else. It is all very individual. If you need medication, thats ok too....it isnt a failure to need medication...it all depends on how your disease progresses. For myself, I probably eat more carbs than many of the diabetics here that are diet controlled because I am an insulin user. But, I still need to be aware of my carb counts in order to properly dose my insulin.

If you have not met with a certified diabetes educator or a dietitian, I would highly recommend it. There is much info to be found around this site as well. :)

Please, ask anything you like. We are here to help each other out, and you will find that we all have an opinion about just about anything! :)

*hugs* It will be ok...really...you can do this :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am a full blown Type 2 and my levels are down to upper 70's- 110 or so after meals. I am not a prediabetic, I am still a Type 2 and will always be so. The reason my numbers are in a normal range is because I am on medication and I do a strict diet. My endocrine system is still compromised. If you stopped your medication and went back to your old diet your bgs would quickly start climbing. None of us like to be diabetics but disease has to be managed on a daily basis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts