The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my memory is weak and I mistakenly ordered the wrong things my last order from Netrition so I want to verify for my next order and I 'think' I need High Maize Starch and WPI...are those the new to me ingredients MCS has mentioned using? There have been several recipes he has mentioned and someone else mentioned at least one other that I'd like to try, but as you know these ingredients are not cheap!

A troubling report I heard this afternoon on Doctor radio while driving (Serius Radio) was the information that having diabetes doubles your chances of developing ALZ...have y'all read that? The doctor was named Gary Small. He went on to say he believes it is because we can't utilize glucose in the brain cells.

Also, what is the newest Relion meter called? I thought it was a mini, but all my WM has is the Micro.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I have that one, but I've read where the newest one is more accurate, and I was wanting to find it. I need another one for keeping in my desk and so I thought I'd buy it for that. I so like the cheaper strips for Relion.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't know of a newer ReliOn than the Prime, and they would really be rushing things if they had a new one, because the Prime has only been out since July. Unless they're having to do some fancy footwork because they priced Prime strips too low to make any money . . . :rolleyes:

I don't think Netrition carries high-maize, because I just ordered from them last week & I'd have put it on the order if they had it. Maybe they have another product that is a reasonable facsimile, but if they do, I don't know which one.

I surely get the part about forgetting things like this, and I now keep lists for specific vendors that I use regularly.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't have any yet - I didn't order from Netrition, but I didn't search Netrition either. MCS or Darbro will be able to tell us if this is the same product or not. I know the Honeyville site sells hi-maize & prob'ly others do too.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
APOE-4: The Clue to Why Low Fat Diet and Statins may Cause Alzheimer's

Abstract

Alzheimer's is a devastating disease whose incidence is clearly on the rise in America. Fortunately, a significant number of research dollars are currently being spent to try to understand what causes Alzheimer's. ApoE-4, a particular allele of the apolipoprotein apoE, is a known risk factor. Since apoE plays a critical role in the transport of cholesterol and fats to the brain, it can be hypothesized that insufficient fat and cholesterol in the brain play a critical role in the disease process. In a remarkable recent study, it was found that Alzheimer's patients have only 1/6 of the concentration of free fatty acids in the cerebrospinal fluid compared to individuals without Alzheimer's. In parallel, it is becoming very clear that cholesterol is pervasive in the brain, and that it plays a critical role both in nerve transport in the synapse and in maintaining the health of the myelin sheath coating nerve fibers. An extremely high-fat (ketogenic) diet has been found to improve cognitive ability in Alzheimer's patients. These and other observations described below lead me to conclude that both a low-fat diet and statin drug treatment increase susceptibility to Alzheimer's,

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I don't have any yet - I didn't order from Netrition, but I didn't search Netrition either. MCS or Darbro will be able to tell us if this is the same product or not. I know the Honeyville site sells hi-maize & prob'ly others do too.
I got mine at honeyville. I think king arthur sells a small 1-2 lb bag. King arthur calls it 5in1 flour.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
608 Posts
Netrition has the High Maize its, called resistant corn starch 260. They also have the WPI both the 8000 and 5000, 8000 is the one MCS, myself and some others have been using, it help bind everything togther, the 5000 is supposed to make things fluffier, I am going to order some of that and order some resistant wheat starch also, all are sold be life force on Netritions site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts