The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to test my two hour lunch and it's crazy high... BUT just minutes before my youngest opened an umbrella in the house and then broke it, so I was extremely pissed off to say the least, considering I'd told him 5 times already not to touch it!

So, I'm guessing the stress and burst of adrenaline caused my number to spike?

I've got a dr's appointment tonight and want to make sure I don't need to talk to him about upping my meds, b/c there is no way I should have a 138 at two hours after lunch. Same lunch yesterday gave me an 86.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just went to test my two hour lunch and it's crazy high... BUT just minutes before my youngest opened an umbrella in the house and then broke it, so I was extremely pissed off to say the least, considering I'd told him 5 times already not to touch it!

So, I'm guessing the stress and burst of adrenaline caused my number to spike?

I've got a dr's appointment tonight and want to make sure I don't need to talk to him about upping my meds, b/c there is no way I should have a 138 at two hours after lunch. Same lunch yesterday gave me an 86.
yes stress can affect your sugars sometimes w/ a spike and sometimes w/ a low. I usually eat the same stuff every day and can have dramatically different numbers cause there are so many factors that go into it. could be I'm getting sick, could be stress, could be insulin insensitivity due to not working out lately, or a million other things OR could be even a bad reading our portable little meters are not 100% accurate. sometimes Diabetes just like to [email protected]#$ w/ our heads and give us strange reading for no good reason at all.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... generally I'm a very laid back person... but in the past two days he's wreaked havoc - broke the snowman he gave me for Christmas yesterday, kept going in the oven when my bread was rising & causing it to fall, not listening to anything, made a mess in the bathroom, and the umbrella was the last straw. So I was ticked off and yelling, and I can feel my heart pounding.

I'm assuming it caused the spike. I tested twice immediately, got 138 & 135.. then 10 minutes later a 125...

All that adrenaline made my son-in-utero start bouncing around too.

I'll try to calm down and I'm sure it'll go back down... just have to explain it to the doctor tonight though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks... generally I'm a very laid back person... but in the past two days he's wreaked havoc - broke the snowman he gave me for Christmas yesterday, kept going in the oven when my bread was rising & causing it to fall, not listening to anything, made a mess in the bathroom, and the umbrella was the last straw. So I was ticked off and yelling, and I can feel my heart pounding.

I'm assuming it caused the spike. I tested twice immediately, got 138 & 135.. then 10 minutes later a 125...

All that adrenaline made my son-in-utero start bouncing around too.

I'll try to calm down and I'm sure it'll go back down... just have to explain it to the doctor tonight though.
I can see how that'd stress you out. got no advice except two words - military school

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, definitely considering it for this one... he was climbing things before he could walk... at 7 months old he'd scale whatever he could...and he's been nothing but trouble since then. This child has no fear.

Love him to pieces... but sometimes.... !!!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember those days. I have 3 sons and 2 daughters ( now all grown). I am glad I didn't have D back then because I'm sure my bgs would have been through the roof. Today I ate lunch and tested at an hour and was 98. Went for a 3 1/2 mile walk, came home and tested and was 135. So yes, hormones can spike you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes stress can affect the glucose numbers. Rest and exercise helps to reduce stress. Doing things you enjoy can also help reduce stress.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes Forum app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts