The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just stumbled upon some research that I wanted to share. And also to say, I think anecdotally it has possibly worked for me!

So I was Vit D deficient for over a decade. I was at a 6 which is critical but no doctor said it was a big deal. WRONG.

I had crippling anxiety and panic attacks. A decade later, after enduring this for that entire decade, just on a whim I decided to get my Vitamin D levels up. within a month my energy was high and the anxiety started to go away. Years later I have read research on this and there is a correlation. Then one day it started to return. I called my doctor and said I think my Vit D level has slipped. They told me it was impossible to feel this. I insisted they test and I had been right.

So I took 2,000 a day and my level was 30. the LOW end of "normal". This was like this for a few years.

Started getting neuropathy in my lower legs. Nails went white ( a sign of diabetes called Terry's nails), started getting dizzy after desserts and peeing a lot.

Doctors missed all this for years until recently my A1C came back 5.7. Just at the beginning of diabetes.

For the last few YEARS my fasting blood glucose has been 90-92. The last few months since diagnosis I have tracked blood sugar religiously after all meals. I know my levels. Was anywhere from 120-177 an hour later and 150-110 after 2 hour mark. Never going down to 90s unless fasting.

A few weeks ago (maybe a month now?)I upped my Vit D intake after reading research that optimal levels is around 50 (not 30 which I was). So I raised intake to 5,000 a day.

Now this week, despite eating the identical portion and identical meal my blood sugar is SO much lower it's bizarre. Now fasting was around 77. I thought maybe it was odd test strips but no. Got identical readings from two different test strip boxes and still using my very accurate meter.

Also after meals it hasn't gone above 108 or so. Tonight 2 hours post meal: 77!

I believe that Vit D has more than likely brough this down. Here is some research on it. I wanted to pass this along in case there is anyone else out there that has low or even "normal" low Vit D, this is worth a shot! Even for those with Diabetes it may help a little!

Vitamin D - Diabetes Self-Management

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140623092052.htm

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Yes, thanks for sharing. There's definitely a link between vitamin D and blood glucose regulation. Getting your VitD values into a good range (as you've noted that range and what the labs say are "okay" usually differ!) can improve your blood glucose control.

It's not a cure, but every little bit helps!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Oh I just remembered that when taking Vitamin D, it is advisable to also take Vitamin K2. Just D alone can contribute to calcium buildup in arteries (sorry I don't have a study link at the moment, will add it later). The K2 helps ensure that it goes into your bones where it belongs.

I take 5,000U of D a day along with 180mcg of K2. Honestly I had to wing it on the dose for K2, since there isn't a strong recommendation that I am aware of. I based that off of reading Chris Kresser and a few other sites.

Also I've heard that you need to be aware of how much calcium you are ingesting from food and supplements combined. This may be out-dated info, but years back when I looked into it, I remember that people cautioned about taking a blanket high dose of calcium with Vitamin D. I'm not sure if the K2 mitigates all of that concern, but it's definitely looking into further and understanding how much you need before adding in more vitamins into the mix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I read this post and had to create an account to respond. Even though this thread is older, I had to share my recent experiences with vitamin D supplementation. For the past decade I have been losing a lot of hair. No one in my family had lost hair so I had always wondered why I was going bald on the crown of my head. Six months ago I began to take vitamin D supplements after noticing that it was low on a test that my doctor performed. Incredibly, my hair is starting to fill in… and it only took a few months.
I am also a type two diabetic and I noticed an immediate drop in my blood sugar levels a few weeks after taking 5000 units of vitamin D daily. In fact last night I had quite an episode of low blood sugar even though I was taking the same exact amount of medication that I always take. My fasting blood sugar has come down 30 points and my blood sugar after meals has come down 40 points.
I just wanted to share this experience in case it helps someone else. Of course I’m not a physician but I hope this may assist someone even if they only research the benefits of vitamin D.
So I just stumbled upon some research that I wanted to share. And also to say, I think anecdotally it has possibly worked for me!

So I was Vit D deficient for over a decade. I was at a 6 which is critical but no doctor said it was a big deal. WRONG.

I had crippling anxiety and panic attacks. A decade later, after enduring this for that entire decade, just on a whim I decided to get my Vitamin D levels up. within a month my energy was high and the anxiety started to go away. Years later I have read research on this and there is a correlation. Then one day it started to return. I called my doctor and said I think my Vit D level has slipped. They told me it was impossible to feel this. I insisted they test and I had been right.

So I took 2,000 a day and my level was 30. the LOW end of "normal". This was like this for a few years.

Started getting neuropathy in my lower legs. Nails went white ( a sign of diabetes called Terry's nails), started getting dizzy after desserts and peeing a lot.

Doctors missed all this for years until recently my A1C came back 5.7. Just at the beginning of diabetes.

For the last few YEARS my fasting blood glucose has been 90-92. The last few months since diagnosis I have tracked blood sugar religiously after all meals. I know my levels. Was anywhere from 120-177 an hour later and 150-110 after 2 hour mark. Never going down to 90s unless fasting.

A few weeks ago (maybe a month now?)I upped my Vit D intake after reading research that optimal levels is around 50 (not 30 which I was). So I raised intake to 5,000 a day.

Now this week, despite eating the identical portion and identical meal my blood sugar is SO much lower it's bizarre. Now fasting was around 77. I thought maybe it was odd test strips but no. Got identical readings from two different test strip boxes and still using my very accurate meter.

Also after meals it hasn't gone above 108 or so. Tonight 2 hours post meal: 77!

I believe that Vit D has more than likely brough this down. Here is some research on it. I wanted to pass this along in case there is anyone else out there that has low or even "normal" low Vit D, this is worth a shot! Even for those with Diabetes it may help a little!

Vitamin D - Diabetes Self-Management

Raising low vitamin D levels lowers risk of prediabetes progressing to diabetes

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
HI Helowork and welcome out of Lurkdom. I hope you continue to find posts to respond to now that you broken the ice and are here.

I've been taking 5000iu D3 daily for the past 5 or 6 years. That may be why I'm not bald, although my hair has thinned on top and it doesn't seem to be growing. I think it is breaking off about as quick as it grows. My dad had thinning hair too, so I might not be able to fight heredity.

Reactions: itissteve

·
Registered
2 Posts
The differences I’ve seen since taking vitamin D have been really dramatic. That’s why I wanted to share them. Thank you.

HI Helowork and welcome out of Lurkdom. I hope you continue to find posts to respond to now that you broken the ice and are here.

I've been taking 5000iu D3 daily for the past 5 or 6 years. That may be why I'm not bald, although my hair has thinned on top and it doesn't seem to be growing. I think it is breaking off about as quick as it grows. My dad had thinning hair too, so I might not be able to fight heredity.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Thank you for sharing, many people are deficient on vitamin D and don't even know it. They may even need to request the test added to their next blood work.

Reactions: etherea
1 - 8 of 8 Posts