The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had lunch around with carbs...(I guess trying to test the waters and have proof when I talk to my dr next Monday) and the result was about 3 hrs after eating was 158. Granted it was about 80-90 carbs with a standard bowl of fruit. Can a normal persons bs level get that high after lunch? Or do I need to be emotionally prepared for my dr visit (I have yet to be diagnosed in any way)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jchase said:
I had lunch around with carbs...(I guess trying to test the waters and have proof when I talk to my dr next Monday) and the result was about 3 hrs after eating was 158. Granted it was about 80-90 carbs with a standard bowl of fruit. Can a normal persons bs level get that high after lunch? Or do I need to be emotionally prepared for my dr visit (I have yet to be diagnosed in any way)
Whoops! Supposed to include around noon filled with carbs...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You'll get better results to prove to the doc by checking at one hour after eating. If you were at 158 three hours later, you might well have shot past 200 in the hour immediately after the meal. And if you test before you eat, then all the cards will be on the table: you'll know exactly how high you went on what you ate.

Keep a food log, and your BG log . . . that will show him exactly how your sugars respond to the specific foods you eat. My opinion is that our postprandial numbers tell a lot more and a lot sooner than fasting readings. By the time fasting levels begin to elevate - the postprandials have been sending signals for MONTHS, but nobody usually listens! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left my meter at the house *cringe* so I used hospital equipment. I will start tomorrow checking religiously. The bad part is I feel ok. Kinda sleepy but that's it. Can you be diabetic with normal fasting numbers?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Can you be diabetic with normal fasting numbers?
O yes! Look at the morning fasting thread . . . many of those registering 70s, 80s, 90s are assuredly diabetic. Some were diagnosed in DKA in fact. But diligent attention to diet/exercise/weight loss helps them maintain "normal" fasting levels. But they're still diabetic - it never goes away.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before our official D diagnosis most of us felt fine. Our bodies get used to the higher bgs and that becomes normal. I never felt anything and was dx'd when I went in for new glasses and the eye doctor saw some specks in my eyes. She sent me for further tests. The first thing the opthamologist said was are you diabetic. He says sometimes damage occurs in the eyes before other symptoms happen. When he sent me for blood tests my fasting was 240. I felt fine and was not overweight and exercised 2-3 hours most days. So it was a shock to me. A normal, non diabetic that has a functioning pancras has a good phase 1 insulin response that kicks in the minute they start to eat to prevent them from going too high. Whatever is not taken care of with the Phase 1, is taken care of within the next 2 hours with the Phase 2 response. Most diabetics are asked to keep bgs below 120-140, at 2 hours after meals. A lot of us manage our bgs with lower carb diets. I usually eat 10-15 carbs per meal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i was pregnant I was about 135, gained 40 lbs. At 24 weeks I did the check and I was sure to pass because I didn't "fit the criteria" they checked and rechecked levels but they stayed the same. After I gave birth I had to beg for another test. Again I was just being a pest until I failed again and the nurse said well I can't ask you to lose weight just check your numbers. Well that was 2 years ago and last week I started getting all my old symptoms back, the blurry/spots in my vision, extreme fatigue after eating, dry mouth, shakes, and i wouldn't really get thirsty. But I'd feel claustrophobic like, kinda like bloated and suffocating. I've lost 10 pounds as well hoping to have some sort of good luck but now I just feel stuck.

When I was younger certain foods made me sick. Especially juice, and I still can't eat cinnamon buns. I was always the problem child, picky eater who just needed to suck it up and be normal. Ha...ha...

I'll check out that fasting thread, I am turning into a sponge with all the info I am learning on here. I can't tell you how much I appreciate some support and views on my questions. Thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts