The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the thread regarding coconut oil and its many benefits. Are there more benefits from coconut oil than from raw coconut meat. I love fresh raw coconut and try to eat one every week or two. Other than the added 1 or 2 net carbs and 1 protein is there any other differences between two.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, we eat the oil every day - not just every week or two - and it's unlikely that you'll want to add coconut meat to your coffee/tea/cocoa as many of us do - making what we refer to as bullet proof coffee, et.al.

I also think the extra macronutrients do count for something - a lot of us are on ultra low carb and fairly low protein, so the fat in the coconut oil is one big reason for using it - it doesn't screw up our macro nutrients ratio but it provides incredible benefits.

Is there any reason you can't do both? Why not incorporate coconut oil into your daily regimen, and still enjoy a fresh one every week or two? They aren't mutally exclusive, you know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am try to keep my carbs to 5% (<30) of my daily cals. but I have only been on LCHF for about 7 weeks and still trying to get it right. The raw coconut is my go to snack. I eat some every day. It takes about a week or so to go through a whole one. and it does not raise my BS at all. In fact I believe it lowers it. I am going to get some CO tomorrow and give it a try. You are right there is no reason I can't do both.

·
Registered
800 Posts
As always test with your meter.
The carbs in coconut flesh spike both John and myself.

Reactions: grammaB and Shanny

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I think there are so many good things (and so many ways to use them) in coconut oil that I need more than I can get by just eating coconut meat. But, I do plan to buy and test what happens when I eat coconut. It has always been one of my favorite foods.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Sounds good!

Do you have any tips for getting out coconut meat? I see them in the store and ponder getting one, but usually don't because I have no idea how to eat the darn thing!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
When I was young we sterilized a screw driver then hammered it through the eyes at the end of the coconut. Poured the liquid into a bowl for future use. Then put the coconut on a clean cloth on the sidewalk and hit it with a hammer until we could all grab pieces and dig in.

There may be a better tool these days. Will have to check Amazon.

Oh, in case any of you have missed this and need cheering up, I encourage you to read the reviews of this banana slicer.

·
Registered
801 Posts
When I was young we sterilized a screw driver then hammered it through the eyes at the end of the coconut. Poured the liquid into a bowl for future use. Then put the coconut on a clean cloth on the sidewalk and hit it with a hammer until we could all grab pieces and dig in.
Wow. You sterilized? I recall we used an awl stright off the tool bench, and hammered directly onto the nut, no towel. When performed properly by Papa-San, the shell came off rather neatly, only occasionally needed to be pried from the meat.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I suspect my father got a thrill handling a blow torch in front of a crowd of coconut-starved children.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use to use the hammer and drill method for coconuts as well, but I have recently found an easier way to open them. I hold the coconut in the palm of my hand and strike it along the center with THE BACK EDGE of a heavy bladed kitchen knife. I strike it once, rotate around a few inches and strike it again. I do this for the whole circumference of the coconut. Continue to do that and the coconut will split in two along the center. I do this over the kitchen sink because I don't save the water, but if you want to save it, you can hold it over a bowl while your striking it. Works like a charm. I was amazed how easy it is.!!! I put the two half's in plastic ziplock bags and then squeeze each half in my shop vise to break it up further. The plastic bag keeps from making a mess and having to chase pieces all over the place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts