The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that was mentioned to me is I need to eat considerably more vegetables than I do, so I started eating raw carrots, celery and broccoli everyday.

I usually have some dip and/or peanut butter with them. Sometimes I munch them with other foods too (I'll eat a burger patty and raw veggies, for instance...)

Interestingly, my best BG numbers come after meals/snacks with the raw veggies. Do other people find this too?

Also the next question ... since I started eating the veggies (2-3 times a day I have 'em) my ... um... bowels have been extremely active. I'm wondering if the combination of Metformin and increasing my veggie intake is the culprit...

So I gotta ask... how do you deal with this situation? Cut back on veggies? Or does the body adapt and go back to a more regular schedule eventually?

Thanks for any advice,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
One of the things that was mentioned to me is I need to eat considerably more vegetables than I do, so I started eating raw carrots, celery and broccoli everyday.

I usually have some dip and/or peanut butter with them. Sometimes I munch them with other foods too (I'll eat a burger patty and raw veggies, for instance...)

Interestingly, my best BG numbers come after meals/snacks with the raw veggies. Do other people find this too?

Also the next question ... since I started eating the veggies (2-3 times a day I have 'em) my ... um... bowels have been extremely active. I'm wondering if the combination of Metformin and increasing my veggie intake is the culprit...

So I gotta ask... how do you deal with this situation? Cut back on veggies? Or does the body adapt and go back to a more regular schedule eventually?

Thanks for any advice,
I would just wait for your body to adjust. It might take a couple of months.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think your body will adapt and get back to a more regular schedule eventually . . . it's just a little shocked right now at the influx of all that wonderful raw healthy fiber! :D :D :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I was first placed on metformin I did have loose and more frequent bowel movements.
But the looseness disappeared after a brief period. Perhaps 1 to 2 weeks.
Still not certain if if was the metformin OR the abrupt change to a proper diet.

The more I learned to get off the Standard American Diet (SAD) and eat more raw vegetables.
The more I learned that frequent bowel movements; approximately one for each main meal eaten every day; is healthy.
Bowel movements is one of the main ways in which our bodies rids its self of toxins.
BTW; my bowel movements are soft but firm. And come easily.
If you have to struggle or force them. Then you are probably eating the SAD.

My main meals are centered around a HUGE salad. ie 3 to 4 quarts huge.
And my salads are not what most Americans consider to be a salad. ie a bowl of iceberg lettuce with a few pieces of other things sprinkled on top.
MY salads are maybe 1-quart spinach and the remaining 2 to 3 quarts are other raw fruits, raw vegetables, and nuts.

Hope this is helpful.

--ET

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
When I was first placed on metformin I did have loose and more frequent bowel movements.
But the looseness disappeared after a brief period. Perhaps 1 to 2 weeks.
Still not certain if if was the metformin OR the abrupt change to a proper diet.

The more I learned to get off the Standard American Diet (SAD) and eat more raw vegetables.
The more I learned that frequent bowel movements; approximately one for each main meal eaten every day; is healthy.
Bowel movements is one of the main ways in which our bodies rids its self of toxins.
BTW; my bowel movements are soft but firm. And come easily.
If you have to struggle or force them. Then you are probably eating the SAD.

And my salads are not what most Americans consider to be a salad. ie a bowl of iceberg lettuce with a few pieces of other things sprinkled on top.
MY salads are maybe 1-quart spinach and the remaining 2 to 3 quarts are other raw fruits, raw vegetables, and nuts.

Hope this is helpful.

--ET
Good Information ett. Welcome back, I missed your book reviews!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good Information ett. Welcome back, I missed your book reviews!
Thanks Breezeonby.
Since I started working again this past July. I've haven't had much time for reading.
BUT I do have a new book; The Okinawa Program; coming to me in the next week or so.
After I read; I'll post my thoughts about it.

--ET

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, thank you to everyone that replied. I guess I won't worry about things too much. Looks like I'm in for a few weeks of annoyance until my body adapts. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

And ett...

... that is one HUGE salad. I can't imagine eating that much, lol. I usually have like a soup bowl of salad at most... But then again, I never imagined making a meal of raw carrots, broccoli and celery either.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I love a huge salad, but I can't eat that big a bowlful at once. And iceberg lettuce has been off my menus for years - besides being short on nutritive values, it upsets my stomach.

During garden season we have all the colorful loose leaf lettuces, plus butterhead & the brassica crops as well, but right now we just use a lotta romaine & spinach. I do love a big spinach salad with scallions/radishes/bacon/diced egg/etc., and I just use my regular wilted lettuce dressing for it . . .

My main meals are centered around a HUGE salad. ie 3 to 4 quarts huge. And my salads are not what most Americans consider to be a salad. ie a bowl of iceberg lettuce with a few pieces of other things sprinkled on top. MY salads are maybe 1-quart spinach and the remaining 2 to 3 quarts are other raw fruits, raw vegetables, and nuts.

Hope this is helpful.

--ET

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Beefy,

This was my "salad" last night for dinner:
  • 6 cups spinach
  • 1 broccoli crown
  • 4oz sliced mushrooms
  • 3oz baby carrots
  • 1oz blueberries
  • 1oz chopped onions
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 3 tbsp flaxseed meal
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 large cucumber
  • 1 can (14oz) black olives rinsed very well
  • 1 large Poblano pepper
  • 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 1 large red bell pepper
  • 1 avocado
  • 1oz walnuts
  • 1oz almonds
  • 1/2 bottle (6oz) Walden Farms zero carb Thousand Island dressing
And for sides I had 6oz raspberries and 1 medium banana.
It took me about 1/2 hr to eat all that.

I'm 6'3" and my weight fluctuates between 175lbs and 180lbs.

--ET

1 - 9 of 9 Posts