The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have high blood pressure and I am also hyper sensitive to a number of medications. In an effort to reduce my blood pressure the NP at my DRs office has prescribed potassium supplements pending the outcome of lab work done yesterday.

These potassium pills are HORSE pills as they are quite large. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the rda for potassium is and is it possible to achieve this while trying to stay low carb? I am discouraged by this addition to my list of meds not only because it means 'another pill' but because even IF I can convince the Dr. to allow me to try a dietary approach, it is going to mess up my LCHF eating plan.

I am on an insulin pump and my last A1C was 5.8%. I would like to continue the LCHF, but not sure how to do it while trying to maintain the potassium level also. :confused:

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
My wife damaged her kidneys carrying her last child, toximia. She has to replace potassium every day, her body will not hold on to it at all. She takes the giant horse pill 20meq daily, I split it between lunch and dinner, it has a tendency to burn your stomach. Been a while since I did the math but if the doc put you on 20meq its like 25-30 of the potassiums you can get at WalMart, quite the pill load.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marty,
Does your wife feel ok taking the huge pills? Do the pills do what they are supposed to do for her? I never considered taking a half pill at one meal and the other half at the next meal. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: MCS

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I believe the RDA for potassium is 3.5 grams. Though most supplements are a fraction of that usually 100mg.

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
I saw that RDA was raised to 4.7 grams somewhere. I just started taking potassium bicarbonate. Doing 5 grams @39% K twice a day so that's about 2 grams of supplemental potassium.

Average intake is 2-3 grams verses 10-11 grams that Paleolithic man reportedly ate daily.

Edit for addition. Also read most if not all vitamins limit K to 99 mg.

Reactions: foxl and Daytona

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Keep in mind the 20 meq would be waaaay to much for a person with normal renal function that can hold potassium. Potassium is sold in small mg doses to prevent over dosing. Wife's potassium has been dead center on all her blood tests. We ran into a lot of trouble when she tried to go with out them, heart rythum problems, etc.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Keep in mind the 20 meq would be waaaay to much for a person with normal renal function that can hold potassium. Potassium is sold in small mg doses to prevent over dosing. Wife's potassium has been dead center on all her blood tests. We ran into a lot of trouble when she tried to go with out them, heart rythum problems, etc.
Is it safe for me to assume that while taking Potassium, a person should have regular lab work done? Also, is having to take potassium tablets a 'life-long' problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts