The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I just wanted to say "hey I'm dealing with the same things too" and to encourage you to keep at it. Just started Novolog last month and timing my dose has been a crapshoot. :D Sometimes it kicks in before my food (because I ate something with more fat, slowing the BG rise) and other times, it isn't fast enough.

Heh, I don't have any advice just sharing that even on the low-carb diet everyone here is encouraging you to try, it takes getting used to how your body responds and adjusting accordingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Daytona, thanks, I appreciate all encouragement and shared experience! It's definitely a test-and-tweak phase for me, for now.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I can only comment based on the information you provided. My comments are based solely on that.

If you continue to eat the high carb meals you have listed, you will absolutely suffer diabetic complications! We all understand that we cannot be cured of diabetes, best we can do is control it and by doing that we can avoid or minimize future complications.

You 'write' a good story, but your actions, as you describe them, do not back up what you say!

I see I can be of no further help...so I move on....

Best of luck to you! And God Bless

·
Registered
10 Posts
every morning I check sugar and my glucose meter is always like "Its 15ml agaaain :vs_smirk:"

Have no idea how to sort it out :plain:

·
Registered
801 Posts
every morning I check sugar and my glucose meter is always like "Its 15ml agaaain :vs_smirk:"

Have no idea how to sort it out :plain:
If it is the same thing - check with another meter. To get the same reading a couple of days in a row is reasonable, but if you keep getting the same thing, it is likely the strips or the meter not working. Just the way humans work.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Taso, here are some thoughts on your actual diet. Most bananas sold in the grocery store are TWO SERVINGS! In addition, fruit seems to be absorbed by the body much faster than other foods so match your bolus timing to your banana, not the rest of your meal. Unless you are getting those very tiny bananas, I would instead split it and have half at one time and half at another. I'm fortunate that I have someone to share my banana with. I have frozen bananas in the freezer that I use for smoothies (occasional snack) or banana muffins (take-along for when mid-day appointments). Finally, I just find that fruit of any kind before lunch is problematic. Doesn't matter what it is.

I've been on insulin for a month now and it's still a yo-yo game with just one serving of carbs (a piece of toast). Having 2 (or more) servings just isn't going to work for you. It sucks, but that's the way it is. That said, use your meter. I was thinking this morning that I should do my exercise videos for 10 minutes a little after breakfast and see if that doesn't prevent a rise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
after persisting for a few months, you will surely see lower readings

I am less than a year into this diabetes journey, so still experimenting. When I first started out, my morning blood sugar levels were always significantly above the levels before going to sleep. So if I went to sleep at 100, I would wake up at 130. I have tried everything from drinking vinegar to eating snacks (a little cheese) at night. For the past month I have been experimenting not eating after 7 PM and now I wake up with exactly the same number I went to sleep with. So if I went to sleep with 85, I wake up at 85 + maybe 3 or 4 points. Does this mean I beat the dawn phenomena? Is it because after 6 or 7 months on LCHF diet I am finally seeing the morning levels normalize? Or maybe overall I consume less calories and therefore carbs if I stop at 7 PM? I have never seen my levels so low. I am afraid to jinx it. :laugh2:
Yeah, I went through that period. Was frustrating and desperate.
But after persisting for a few months, you will surely see lower readings next morning. Just remember to reduce total calories daily.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Mine is lower at noon than it is when I wake up. Is that normal?
Perfectly normal. Activity uses up glucose in the blood. I take less insulin at lunchtime because of that.

135 this morning. Had a snack rather late last night and debated whether to use a bolus or not since I take Levemir at 8:30 pm.. Should have taken the Humulog. I was in the 160s at 4 a.m. so high all night. :sad2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Perfectly normal. Activity uses up glucose in the blood. I take less insulin at lunchtime because of that.

135 this morning. Had a snack rather late last night and debated whether to use a bolus or not since I take Levemir at 8:30 pm.. Should have taken the Humulog. I was in the 160s at 4 a.m. so high all night. :sad2:
Seriously, I wonder if your reading would be significantly better without that late night snack. Sometimes I have a late night snack and my morning fasting reading is still good. However, there are times when I get high reading without a late night snack too...:sad2:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts