The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, I can't wait for the holidays to be over. I have been fighting a constant battle since Thanksgiving and can now admit that I lost... I started out pretty good but with all the parties, dinners, family drama, driving to everywhich place, having house guests... Kill me now! :(

At first I would hold strong and be the odd one out eating my normal way. The past few weeks I got tired of the questions, hurt feelings and explanations. Even when I don't explain myself, and just do my thing everyone's reaction wears on me. So I have been adding a small portion of potato, or not refusing the "small slice" of cake thrust in front of me, etc. The results have been ... predictable.

Since Thursday I have had my husband's friends from out of town staying with us. They stay up until 3-4 am, get up at noon and in general have thrown my entire life out of whack. I feel like such a poor host, going to bed before them (stayed up till 1am when normally I am in bed at 9pm), eating meals without them but enough is enough. There is nowhere in the apartment I can go to just relax and not be "hosting". I just do not have the right personality for this stuff, I need my alone time to recharge.

It's also frustrating that I can't even have a discussion with my husband. We are never alone! I went to the endo on Thursday and was referred to a cardiologist and still haven't told him. Since I'm feeling hurt, underappreciated, petty and vindictive, maybe he won't find out for awhile!

Anyhoo, the guests are leaving tonight, thank god. I can't wait to clean my house, hug a cat, eat some salad and start over.

Sorry, I'm done whining and ranting now. :D I know what I need to do, I give people pep talks all the time for the same complaints... :violin: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Boy, do I know how you feel. I was trying to be good most of the time but we just got back from a week's stay with my sister. Even though I brought a cooler of LC food I felt awkward cooking my own meals. So I ended up eating things I normally wouldn't eat because everyone was enjoying them. Plus there was more snack food around and definitely more drinking wine than I normally do. The big thing for me being on the east coast was it got dark so early which cut into my exercise time and seemed to make me hungrier than I am at home. Here in Ohio we are on the western end of the time zone and it stays light until 5:15-5:30 while in Maine it seemed to get dark before 4:00. It could have been all the forests surrounding their house. I am so happy to be back at home. Now we just have to get through Super Bowl and play off games. I think I will stocking my fridge with LC safe snacks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ugh, I can't wait for the holidays to be over. I have been fighting a constant battle since Thanksgiving and can now admit that I lost... I started out pretty good but with all the parties, dinners, family drama, driving to everywhich place, having house guests... Kill me now! :(

At first I would hold strong and be the odd one out eating my normal way. The past few weeks I got tired of the questions, hurt feelings and explanations. Even when I don't explain myself, and just do my thing everyone's reaction wears on me. So I have been adding a small portion of potato, or not refusing the "small slice" of cake thrust in front of me, etc. The results have been ... predictable.

Since Thursday I have had my husband's friends from out of town staying with us. They stay up until 3-4 am, get up at noon and in general have thrown my entire life out of whack. I feel like such a poor host, going to bed before them (stayed up till 1am when normally I am in bed at 9pm), eating meals without them but enough is enough. There is nowhere in the apartment I can go to just relax and not be "hosting". I just do not have the right personality for this stuff, I need my alone time to recharge.

It's also frustrating that I can't even have a discussion with my husband. We are never alone! I went to the endo on Thursday and was referred to a cardiologist and still haven't told him. Since I'm feeling hurt, underappreciated, petty and vindictive, maybe he won't find out for awhile!

Anyhoo, the guests are leaving tonight, thank god. I can't wait to clean my house, hug a cat, eat some salad and start over.

Sorry, I'm done whining and ranting now. :D I know what I need to do, I give people pep talks all the time for the same complaints... :violin: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I feel your pain. :hug:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Whine and rant well-earned. Lessee - houseguests smell like fish in 3 days, is it? Thursday, Friday, Saturday ... right on schedule, though it sounds like maybe a bit of odor wafting right about Friday already :)

Glad you're getting your home back Real Soon Now.

Reactions: jwags

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily my husband is a Bears fan, so I don't have to worry about the SuperBowl! :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Daytona at least you guys have a decent football team .I'm a Rams fan.Playoffs?Playoffs? What you mean Playoffs!
I also feel your pain.I did:Cry: exactly what you said. Its a tough time of the year to be a diabetic. Good Luck everyone in the new year.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good land! I'd totally forgotten about the Superbowl! :eek: Now if my Broncos could only pull off a trick like my Cardinals did this year! :D :D :D

(sorry Clebo . . . I lived too many years in Colorado to ever leave the Broncos . . .)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Luckily my husband is a Bears fan, so I don't have to worry about the SuperBowl! :D

Well, since we are in Cleveland we don't have to worry about Super Bowl, either.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
298 Posts
jwags said:
Boy, do I know how you feel. I was trying to be good most of the time but we just got back from a week's stay with my sister. Even though I brought a cooler of LC food I felt awkward cooking my own meals. So I ended up eating things I normally wouldn't eat because everyone was enjoying them. Plus there was more snack food around and definitely more drinking wine than I normally do. The big thing for me being on the east coast was it got dark so early which cut into my exercise time and seemed to make me hungrier than I am at home. Here in Ohio we are on the western end of the time zone and it stays light until 5:15-5:30 while in Maine it seemed to get dark before 4:00. It could have been all the forests surrounding their house. I am so happy to be back at home. Now we just have to get through Super Bowl and play off games. I think I will stocking my fridge with LC safe snacks.
That was one thing I hated about this time of year there. It gets dark so early there...of course it is the same way here

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am so with you, Daytona.

I don't have food pushers around me, but I do have a ton of sugary holiday treats in the house and a not-so-little voice in my head saying, "Just a little of this will be okay. You did fine with a single cake ball yesterday. Try two today; I'm sure it won't be a problem."

I love the holidays, but I need to get back to my office and my regular routine.

Reactions: Shanny and Daytona

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm with all of you on the holidays and being diabetic at this time of year. It sucks. I did pretty good, or at least better than I have in the past, but still putting something in my mouth that did not belong there. Happy New LC/HF Year to all my fellow forum friends!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Happy New Year all! I thought I was doing OK and then without thinking, had cream of wheat this morning with brown sugar. It's kind of a "holiday" feel-good breakfast. I had cream of wheat in the past without spiking, but I think the brown sugar helped spike me to 9.4. Whee. Of course then I was logey and my BG is still higher than normal. Also forgot the Metformin yesterday. I'm just batting 1000 in 2012... not! :p

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I've actually done quite well this holiday season since it was just wifey and mom-in-law for christmas dinner and they are both low carbing with me. However, we still had a few guests and I politely say hello etc... before hiding myself away. I'm just not a people person even though I have always been thought of as being one. I can understand the need to restore order to your life, Daytona. We are all on this forum talking about our ability to maintain control of our diabetes yet we have lost control over the rest of our lives during the holidays. I hope you're able to get your life back to a semblance of normality.

On a side note, I'm a Dolphins fan.... Need I say more?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good land! I'd totally forgotten about the Superbowl! :eek: Now if my Broncos could only pull off a trick like my Cardinals did this year! :D :D :D

(sorry Clebo . . . I lived too many years in Colorado to ever leave the Broncos . . .)
Teeeeeeeeeebowwwww!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Our lives got derailed in October with my husband's stroke. I did quite well for the first 2-3 weeks without turning to "comfort food." But then we ran smack into Big Family Anniversary followed immediately by Hallowe'en-Thanksgiving-Christmas-New Year's. In the midst of which, a huge life-changing decision (retirement) had to be made.

Oh, yeah. It was my first diabetic holiday season, too.

Let's just say I confirmed that I'm human. I could've done better. But, hey, I could've done much, much worse.

Right now, I relish the lovely, celebration-free months betwixt now and Easter.

Reactions: Shanny and Daytona

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to say that I did pretty well this holiday season...lots of temptation, but my will is stronger. All three averages (7-day, 14-day and 30-day) on my meter are all ready to drop below 100 soon, and each time I nail a good 88 or so I feel vindicated and even more motivated to avoid the carby bad guys.

Happy New Year, all! Let's make 2012 WAY better than 2011 was! :thumb:

Reactions: Shanny and moon
1 - 17 of 17 Posts