The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about falling fast. I was told that I have type 2 diabetes on Thursday. My doctor told me my glucose was 357 (fasting) in which he gave me Janumet twice a day. Monday morning (2:30am) I was at work I about blacked out. I was soaking wet from sweating, i couldn't stand up. They had to rush me to the hospital. My blood pressure was really low. They had to pump 10 liters in me over 24 hours. It turned out that I had Ketoacidosis. i found out that I was close to going into a diabetic coma. While I was in they show had to use the insulin pen and pit me on Lantus and Humalog. They started me on low dosage to see how I would react. i went back to my family doctor and talk about a cold shoulder. I ask me what dosage should I move up to. He said that if were up to him I would go from 5 units of lantus to 50. I went to a diabetes class here in town threw St Mary's. Outstanding Course! When the class was over the nurse downloaded the info from my meter and fax the results to my doctor on the best way to increase my dosage. Two days now and I haven't hear back from him. My numbers are still high. I think It's time to find another doctor.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Its time alright. When I was on Lantus after my heart surgery I started at 20 u and then moved up 2u every 3-5 days until I saw the numbers I wanted. I then split the dose morning and evening. Once there I started to reduce the evening dose until my morning numbers started to rise. The biggest battle I had was finding the sweet spot, the amount that gives you the results you want with out driving you insane with hunger.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Such unprofessional behavior from the one you've been paying for medical care. If he doesn't want your business, he could at least give you a referral.

Do you have insurance & would they be any help finding a new doc in their network?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not only would I be looking for a new doctor, but I would report the 'old' doctor's conduct to your county medical board. This man doesn't know squat about treating patients with diabetes. I wouldn't take my dog to see him.

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I wouldn't take my dog to see him.
That makes me smile, LOL.

To the OP - there are some free dot com sites like RATEMDs and HEALTHGRADES that review doctors in your area, it might be a good place to start.

Good Luck, you certainly deserve better treatment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I printer out the doctors list from Aetna. Time to go shopping for a new Doctor. It was like when he told me that i had Type 2 diabetes, he did with an attitude. It was like I ruin his record. He threw me some pills, and said take care of it. When I got out of the hospital, I went to see him about how much insulin to take and again the attitude. I still see my BG has been in the upper 100's to the low 200's at times. All I want is to know how much insulin to take.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You may want to look for the endocrinologists on your list, and then check the 'ratemds' or 'healthgrades' reviews to narrow it down...

Again, good luck!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
561 Posts
Diabetic ketoacidosis is extremely rare in Type 2 diabetics because there's usually enough insulin production to keep ketosis in check. I only mention this because Type 2 medications may have absolutely no effect on you. Also, if you don't have insulin resistance, you're not going to need to take the same amount of insulin as an IR Type 2.

I really don't know much about insulin because I am a Type 2 on oral meds, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
DKA is not that rare in T2D.

HOWEVER, I would suggest the OP demand antibody testing -- specifically GAD-65autoantibodies.

There is absolutely no practice guideline recommending antibody testing after DKA, so most docs never bother.

I had to fight to get tested and sure enough, there they were. If you already have insulin, that is a step in the right direction. You want to rest your beta cells and permit as many of them as possible to recover and resume / continue producing insulin.

Don't let anyone give you any oral meds other than metformin, too!

·
Registered
561 Posts
My understanding is that it's extremely uncommon and that most Type 2s who get DKA have probably been misdiagnosed. DKA can happen in Type 2, of course, but it's much more likely to happen in Type 1. A Type 2 usually has to worry more about a hyperosmolar coma than DKA.

I do agree with you that some antibody testing is in order because the type of diabetes could possibly affect the treatment. Also, it's just nice to know.

·
Banned
158 Posts
My understanding is that it's extremely uncommon and that most Type 2s who get DKA have probably been misdiagnosed. DKA can happen in Type 2, of course, but it's much more likely to happen in Type 1. A Type 2 usually has to worry more about a hyperosmolar coma than DKA.

I do agree with you that some antibody testing is in order because the type of diabetes could possibly affect the treatment. Also, it's just nice to know.
I'm a Type 2 and I've wrestled with DKA. Ketones have been running 40+ for a long time now.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

I respectfully disagree with you. My DIL who is a type 2 and uses insulin was DKA and ended up in the hospital a very sick young woman. If there is one thing I've learned since diagnosis is - never believe a doctor or health care professional when they say "Oh....it can't happen to a Type 2". Yeah right, tell that to my DIL !

Diabetic ketoacidosis in type 1 and type 2 d... [Arch Intern Med. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

·
Registered
5,911 Posts

You could be right, considering statistic run one in 5 to one in 10 actually having LADA and not T2 ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hopefully found a doctor who (on his web site) works with diabetics. I see him Thursday. It's going to be 1 month since my last doctor told me that I have diabetes and I still don't know how much of my insulin to take to control my glucose, you might say that I've been shooting blind. Then I found out yesterday that I was injecting myself wrong. They syringe they show me in the hospital was different from the one I took home with. I was taking off the outer cap from the syringe, but not taking the inner cap off (my eyesight is still a little blurry), So I was wasting the insulin for 5 days. i went back to the wellness clinic where i took a diabetes class and the nurse pointed out where I was going wrong (in a very nice way).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts