The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I am a 28yr old male. I have been having some symptoms that cause me a little concern. I get really light headed, my hands get real shaky, and I notice some mental clarity issues if I do not eat on schedule. I have to eat something every few hours or I get these symptoms. My weight is not too bad, I am 5'-10 and weight 190#. I notice too that after I eat, my heart tends to beat a little faster, and I get headaches almost daily. Could these symptoms be a pre-cursor to diabetes?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello There: :) Welcome!

You are right to be concerned about any symptoms that are not your norm. Many of the symptoms you mention: light-headedness, shakiness, lack of mental clarity, headaches, due to lack of food are on the Diabetes symptom list. The fast heart beat after you eat and stable weight though throws it off. You also didn't mention fatique which is a Biggie. Granted, some People have few or no symptoms. We are all different.

The headaches may be due to a need for glasses(or migranes or a caffeine headache) and or if your eyesight is a bit blurry. I would suggest that you have your eyes checked(if you haven't already)preferrably by a Very Good Optometrist or Ophthalmologist. More often than not these Professionals can tell if a Person has Diabetes. No, I'm not saying that you do.

Determining if you have other Family Members with Diabetes can also be important. Purchasing or borrowing a blood glucose meter with strips and testing your blood a few times a day before and after meals and logging it, is Very useful.

You could have Hypoglycemia which can turn into Diabetes later on in Life. I would definitely suggest that you see your Dr. and have an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test(OGTT)done and have 2 Fasting Blood Glucose(FBG)tests done also. That will tell your Dr. the story.

Some go straight for the hbA1c test(3 month blood sugar level average)which can be deceiving. A Person could have high and low blood sugar levels and still come out with a shining normal A1c.

I hope that you do not have any serious conditions and we'd be Happy to hear from you again especially when you've heard back from your Drs. If you have any other questions, please ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts