The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have slipped a bit (expected as last 4-5 months went for walk only for ~15 -18 days) ...

HbA1C
~Week 11 : 5.0
~Week 35 : 6.0 (Nov 5, 2011)

FBS was : 78 (Lab report and not meter).
Meter always shows higher by ~15%. Time to pull up socks.
No meds so far ... only herbal supplements. Hunting for good reliable source of banaba leaves extract in India.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rusticguy, can you share your experiences with those herbal supplements? Initial googling reveals some pretty promising information.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NotBubba:

Have been religiously regular with following:

Gymnema 250mg (Capsules) bid (before meals)
Bitter Gourd 250mg (Capsules) bid (before meals)

above 2 for bg control

Ashwagandha 250mg bid
Shuddha Gugulu 250mg bid (Lipid Control)
Triphala 250mg bid (would be stopping this)

It's really difficult to quantify benefits directly but i have been in the pretty much ok range PPBS and FBS even with sedentary lifestyle after initial burst of walks morning/evening (when dx'd). I do have noticed a better sleep, almost negligible tinnitus (which always plagued me). I have noticed Eosinophills drop from 7(2/14/2011) to 4 (11/5/2011).

I am using product of a company which has been in business since 7 decades and it has worked fr other things in family. Now i am looking for going through a Ayurvedic Detox program someday.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Step it up!

Reactions: Shanny
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First anniversary as a diabetic today for me ... entire journey was nice due to spending time here and trying to emulate ...

Got latest blood report and ...

HBA1C 5.2 % (was 6 in Nov 11 and 5 in May 11)
ABG (Avg Blood Glucose) CALCULATED 87 mg/dl

Still going through other details (7 pages to report) as just got report over email. I must have lived a life of ~100 gms carb/day max for last full year on an average reducing it gradually (very slowly .. not to my liking).

I know if i try and explain everything that i managed to learn here to the person and a friend 2 floors below me (we live in same building) who is also diabetic he wouldn't listen as his doctor has put him on some PILLS already ...

Thanks (raised to the power of infinity) to everyone :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey RG? What is the formula by which your ABG is calculated? Here's the one I use: eAG(mg/dl) = (28.7 X HbA1c) – 46.7 It turns up a different number than what you've posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey RG? What is the formula by which your ABG is calculated? Here's the one I use: eAG(mg/dl) = (28.7 X HbA1c) – 46.7 It turns up a different number than what you've posted.
I was expecting this question :)

I am unaware as they have just mentioned following on the report for ABG (ignore CAPS as it is a plain Copy/Paste from the pdf file that i recd short while back):

AVERAGE BLOOD GLUCOSE (ABG) CALCULATED 87 mg/dl

Reference Range :
90 - 120 mg/dl : Excellent Control
121 - 150 mg/dl : Good Control
151 - 180 mg/dl : Average Control
181 - 210 mg/dl : Action Suggested
> 211 mg/dl : Panic Value
(Note: Average Blood Glucose value is calculated from HBA1c value and it indicates Average Blood Sugar
level over past three months.)
Technology : Derived from HBA1c values
But let me ask them and see if they would come up with a reply/answer. If they do i shall update this post.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I used the Thyrocare lab for my last tests in Nov & their estimated average was differing from the formula that I use (the one Shanny has posted) but it was not way off as you have mentioned. For A1c 6.0 it should be around 130 mg/dl.

But do take heart 6.0 is no cause for alarm. Hope you are using the same lab (same equipment) as a few points difference can crop up from lab to lab.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I think it's better to choose one lab and continue with that lab for a long time. I have been doing my tests at SRL labs in Delhi

By the way Congrats RG !

I am also thinking of starting some of these Herbal supplements that you use

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's better to choose one lab and continue with that lab for a long time. I have been doing my tests at SRL labs in Delhi

By the way Congrats RG !

I am also thinking of starting some of these Herbal supplements that you use

Thanks Tony.

Yes i agree on lab part but I switched to Thyrocare as all the tests that i got done this time would have been 2.5 times as expensive at SRL and other places. Had my wife taken to SRL (as it was Insurance company sponsored health checkup so no choice). First test last year was all doctor recommended this time i was my own doctor :)

As for herbs after end of this month i am going to stop all these herbs (they seem to have served their purpose) and take a more convenient formulation from same company (i use only one company products) and see how it goes wrt general adaptogenic and sugar control. I can afford to do all these experiments as i am still not on any allopathic medicines so drug interactions are ruled out.

All my parameters are all within acceptable limits (LFT/KFT/Thyroid etc) except for HDL/LDL which is still a mystery. HDL lowered from 40 to 33 and LDL went up from 97 to 110 total chol being 5 points less at 160.00. So more adjustment on this. Maybe time to look at (and possibly dump them) these so called "low cholesterol" & "heart friendly" cooking oils that are sold :(

But glad that SGPT has moved in ok range from 49 (last year) to 30 :)

My 25-OH VITAMIN D is borderline at 21.84ng/ml so looks like time for more dairy products and walk in sunshine ... if this doesn't work then a supplement for VIT D.

This is a life of continuing adjustments & corrections ... but interesting to see how body really behaves well if out of a state of "being abused" for years. Wish had this awakening few years back :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a pretty fast reply from a doctor at the diagnostic center for eAG:

Nathan Formula:

ABG [Average blood glucose (mg/dl)] = [HBA1c (%) X 33.3]-86.

87.16 floored to 87.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Got a pretty fast reply from a doctor at the diagnostic center for eAG:

Nathan Formula:

ABG [Average blood glucose (mg/dl)] = [HBA1c (%) X 33.3]-86.

87.16 floored to 87.
Interestingly enough I find that using the Nathan formula I get a better match to my meter readings than when I use the DCCT or the ADAG formulae. For that reason, it's my default calculation method but I do the other two as well (well the computer does the math:))

My last reading (getting a new test this week - snow willing) was 5%. My average Blood glucose was 83.
Nathan gives me 5.1%, the other 2 take me down to 4.5%.

I'd prefer to have the DCCT value - but the truth will out! Perhaps this suggests that my meter is reading 15% low?

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think it's better to choose one lab and continue with that lab for a long time.
Always best to use same lab IMO if possible otherwise readings can vary slighly from lab company to lab company. Lab company I use have collection centre nearest my home & office. I do find that my A1C seem's to be 0.2-0.3 higher than the lab company my GP would normally use but I just stick to my lab company as I'm just comparing like for like and keeping a copy of all my labs allows me to spot any trends. Either way here you can chhose any lab company so I choose mine for convience and have them send my GP the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Always best to use same lab IMO if possible otherwise readings can vary slighly from lab company to lab company. Lab company I use have collection centre nearest my home & office. I do find that my A1C seem's to be 0.2-0.3 higher than the lab company my GP would normally use but I just stick to my lab company as I'm just comparing like for like and keeping a copy of all my labs allows me to spot any trends. Either way here you can chhose any lab company so I choose mine for convience and have them send my GP the results.
My lab has a special section online where diabetics can input their meter results and monitor them, and also see cholesterol and HbA1c result as soon as they've been processed. My doctor has always used this lab and it's also the closest to home for me, so although another one has opened in the area, we are sticking to this one for my tests.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Thanks Tony.
Maybe time to look at (and possibly dump them) these so called "low cholesterol" & "heart friendly" cooking oils that are sold :(
Not being funny - "low cholesterol /heart friendly" means - "uses hydrogenated fats" rather than good honest saturated fat.

Dump them soon and replace them with walnut oil, sesame oil or butter (not olive oil - that doesn't do well at high temperatures)

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dump them soon and replace them with walnut oil, sesame oil or butter (not olive oil - that doesn't do well at high temperatures)
John
Thanks John.
That's where all my attention is now because last 10 months or so I haven't really had anything that could upset the readings so cooking Oil is in firing line now ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts