The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am 25 year old male and I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I am 6ft tall with a BMI of 36. Primary reason for my diabetes was that I used to eat alot of sweet stuff e.g. I used to drink 1 litre fruit juices in one go and 1.5litre soft drink bottles in one go. My daily calorie intake for the last 2 years must be around 4000 calories.

Anyways, since last 2-3 months, I was experiencing frequent urination and since last month blurred vision so I visited a doctor who advised some tests. My first blood sugar, after 12HR fasting came 314 and my HB1AC at 12.

Anyways, since my diagnosis, 5 days back, I have drastically cut my calories and changed my lifestyle. I am not walking 4km each day for 30-40 mins. I am taking a maximum of 1500 calories each day, basically small meals after every 3-4 hours and I am only eating healthy foods as advised by doctor. I am also taking twice a day dose of Sitagliptin 50/1000mg dose as advised by doctor. Anyways here is my blood sugar record. I would be thankful if anyone can comment on my progress.

15th August 2011 3:00PM 314 12HR Fasting
16th August 2011 Visited Dr. Khurhid @ Doctors Hospital
17th August 2011 11:00AM 214 12HR Fasting - Dawn Syndrome?
17th August 2011 10:30PM 148 15mins after dinner and Medicine
18th August 2011 11:00AM 202 12HR Fasting (2Hrs after waking up) and before medication
18th August 2011 9:00PM 180 2Hrs after meal and before medication
19th August 2011 11:00AM 176 12HR Fasting (2Hrs after waking up) and before medication
19th August 2011 6:30PM 102 Immediately after exercising
20th August 2011 10:00AM 144 12HR Fasting (1Hrs after waking up) and before medication
20th August 2011 6:30PM 107 Immediately after exercising

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome to our group of experienced and new to Diabetes folks. As some say, the group you'd hoped to never join. Looks to me like you are clearly on the right path to getting your diabetic life under control. Congratulations on that! Good for you.

One hint I'd like to make is that not just sugary things cause your BG go up, but many things affect it like bread, rice, fruits, and more by far. For suggestions have you read Blood Sugar 101? It's very helpful to a newcomer. Just google to find it.

You are doing very well, so keep it up and tell us more about your journey or feel free to ask anything of us.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congratulations on your progress in 5 short days! That's wonderful - you're headed in the right direction :)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good improvement in five short days. For the long term you will prob'ly need more than 1500 calories, and you can get more calories by what Pat has mentioned - reducing the potatoes, rice, fruits, etc. Your doctor is prob'ly recommending whole grains too, but those have great capacity to spike you as well. Then you can safely increase the fats in your diet - fats do not raise blood sugar and they give you energy. You can keep your blood sugar low & lose weight too, all without starving your body or feeling hungry all the time.

Good luck - I'm glad to have you with us . . . thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for your words of support! Yes I am reading bits and parts of 101. This is the diet I am following nowadays

Breakfast: 2x Whole grain rusks + 100gm-200gm Yogurt
Lunch: Salad comprising of some chicken chunks, tomatoes, capsicum, onions, red beans and macroni
Supper: 1x Apple
2nd Supper: A sandwich of cabbage/cauliflower
Dinner: Bread with lentils

Another progress

I forgot to take my medicine last night and despite this, my fasting blood sugar this morning showed another improvement and was 127!

My current weight is around 250 pounds (120kg) and I am planning to bring it down to 80kg in 1 year-1.5 years. I have a question. Is it possible to reverse type 2 diabetes? Is it possible that if I maintain a healthy lifestyle for the next 1-2 years, regularly exercising. eating healthy and reducing my weight, I don't have to worry about diabetes for the next 10 years? I am just not comfortable with pricking myself every day multiple times and checking my blood sugar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys there has been another progress. Today at 4:00PM I ate red beans mixed with chicken chunks. Then at 4:30PM I ate an apple. Then I went for a walk and walked 2.5km (in 25 minutes). Then came back home and checked my blood sugar at 6:30PM. It came 75!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have a question. Is it possible to reverse type 2 diabetes? Is it possible that if I maintain a healthy lifestyle for the next 1-2 years, regularly exercising. eating healthy and reducing my weight, I don't have to worry about diabetes for the next 10 years? I am just not comfortable with pricking myself every day multiple times and checking my blood sugar.
If by "not worry about it" you mean return to your old eating habits as though the problem were "fixed", the answer is a resounding "NO". There is no cure for diabetes, regardless of what you read in the tabloids. Testing is the least of your worries. If you decide it's just too uncomfortable to test, you risk blindness, amputation, kidney failure and other very serious complications.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If by "not worry about it" you mean return to your old eating habits as though the problem were "fixed", the answer is a resounding "NO". There is no cure for diabetes, regardless of what you read in the tabloids. Testing is the least of your worries. If you decide it's just too uncomfortable to test, you risk blindness, amputation, kidney failure and other very serious complications.
Not at all. I would never ever drink colas or juices in my life again and I would avoid sweets of all kinds including deserts. Basically what I meant was that I want to eat what I want within the daily calorie range, e.g. eat as many carbs as I want. For the rest of my life I would definitely maintain my weight so I would also be exercising.

As far as testing is concerned, is it okay to test once every week? i.e. once my blood sugar is under control, as checked by multiple daily testing for 3-4 months. Also what do you think about my C-peptide results?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1)Is my pancreas producing insulin in adequate levels?
2)Should I stop taking medication for night? I stopped last night and still my BG showed improvement?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The c-peptide can show high normal levels in very insulin-resistant diabetics because it's having to pump out more insulin than it would for a non-diabetic. While it's doing this, it's borrowing from the future if you will - in the long run reducing the pancreas' insulin-producing capacity. The insulin-producing capability of the pancreas is not infinite.

Your c-peptide does not tell you how many beta cells you have left. A diabetic's goal is to preserve as much pancreas function as possible, which is why we strive to help our pancreas not work so hard by reducing the carb load it has to deal with.

I'm not a doctor, but in your shoes I personally wouldn't stop my medication. It's great that your fasting number is down - 127 - but there is still room for improvement.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The c-peptide can show high normal levels in very insulin-resistant diabetics because it's having to pump out more insulin than it would for a non-diabetic. While it's doing this, it's borrowing from the future if you will - in the long run reducing the pancreas' insulin-producing capacity. The insulin-producing capability of the pancreas is not infinite.

Your c-peptide does not tell you how many beta cells you have left. A diabetic's goal is to preserve as much pancreas function as possible, which is why we strive to help our pancreas not work so hard by reducing the carb load it has to deal with.

I'm not a doctor, but in your shoes I personally wouldn't stop my medication. It's great that your fasting number is down - 127 - but there is still room for improvement.
Thanks for the great explanation! Your post leads me to this point:

If I continue maintaining my BG below normal levels for a week (or a month if you must) and then go have my C-peptide again, and if the results come again 3+, would this mean that my pancreas is producing insulin in adequate amount? because at that time, it wont need to work hard/borrow from future as my BG at that time would already be decent enough?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fasting blood sugar this morning came out 91! However I must mention that I couldn't sleep properly tonight (due to some other reasons) and woke up at 3AM and then at 5 AM and then at 7AM.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Terabyte, I'm unfortunately not able to help with more information on c-peptide and exactly how they calculate remaining pancreas function. My personal journey ended when I learned the numbers weren't revealing in my case beyond the fact yes, I'm producing insulin, and no, I'm not Type 1.

This isn't answering your question, but my personal approach is to be as kind to my pancreas as possible in an effort to preserve its functioning as well and for as long as possible. Whatever you can do to keep your numbers in low range will be doing that.

Your pancreas would certainly be producing adequate insulin if via diet and exercise, and no medication, you were able to keep your blood sugar within range. Is that what you mean by 'adequate'?

Great fasting number - good going :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMPORTANT UPDATE

I was not exercising since last 2 days (as I went on both days to see different Doctors). Last night I visited another doctor (who I liked the most as he gave me time and established a proper baseline unlike others before who hardly gave me 5-10 mins) who put me off Sitagliptin 50/1000 (which was prescribed by both my previous doctors) and said its a 'harsh' treatment in the beginning and put me on Metformin 850mg (3 time a day). Also instructed me to immediately reduce weight (obvious).

Anyways, today in the morning my fasting 12HR BG was 109. Then I exercised for 15 mins on elliptical trainer, something which I hadnt done before so I was hoping my BG would improve. I took my normal breakfast (2x wholegrain rusks with 200gm yogurt) and then took Metformin 850mg and took my BG reading one hour after....BIG SURPRISE....190! I was literally shocked because I had even exercised and still this reading :mad: Took a reading again after 1 hour (2 hour after breakfast and Metformin) and it came a better 119. I am still sort of amazed and perplexed and slightly depressed. Keeping in view my record and discipline, I wasnt hoping this. Can someone explain please? Is it due to me going off Sitagliptin or can it be a meter error? I'll check multiple times today and also update here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another surprise :confused::confused:
I ate 7 almonds, 1 apple and a plate of cooked lentils. Didn't take any Metformin (I was supposed to after lunch) and checked my BG after 1 hour and it came 82. WTH? Why so much variation? all in one day

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
12HR Fasting at 10:45AM (woke up at 10:40AM) came out 92. Had the same breakfast as yesterday but couldn't check after 1 or 2 hours. Just checked at 2:00PM and BG is at 59. Still perplexed about posts # 16 & 17. Would be grateful if someone can explain

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm not going to be very helpful I fear, but some people find exercise causes their blood glucose to run high for a bit. Even tho' it's good for you, and you should keep it up, consider that.

Also, what are your rusks made from? I know I just can't eat wheat toast and especially in the morning when I am very carb sensitive. Bacon with 2 eggs is my safest b'fast, but I do vary it as I'm absolutely sick of them every day!

Good luck,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not going to be very helpful I fear, but some people find exercise causes their blood glucose to run high for a bit. Even tho' it's good for you, and you should keep it up, consider that.

Also, what are your rusks made from? I know I just can't eat wheat toast and especially in the morning when I am very carb sensitive. Bacon with 2 eggs is my safest b'fast, but I do vary it as I'm absolutely sick of them every day!

Good luck,
Thanks for your post. At the time any information I get is helpful :) The rusks are made of bran wheat I guess. I also eat sandwiches now and then made of bran bread. I havn't again checked my BG 1 hour after breakfast but I'll do in a couple of days and post here. In the meanwhile, I have replaced the normal yogurt with low fat one.

Anyways, todays readings were

12 HR Fasting Morning - 92
Random before lunch - 59
20 mins after evening exercise (3.5km walk) - 79
10 mins after dinner comprising rice!! - 90

1 - 20 of 27 Posts