The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Everyone I was just recently diagnosed with type 2. I'm 46 years young!! LOL! The biggest thing I have a issue with is figuring how many complex carbs and sugar am allowed. I have bought so many books, and have read myself to sleep every night. My brain is in overload. I have a appointment next week to see a dietitian but just wanted to get a head start on things my self. I started taking METFORMIN 500mg once a day, and already lost 10 lbs. I exercise everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The biggest thing I have a issue with is figuring how many complex carbs and sugar am allowed. I have bought so many books, and have read myself to sleep every night. My brain is in overload.
When you ask how many COMPLEX carbs and sugar your are allowed, that tells me even though you have read a lot of books, they might not be the right ones. And even though you are tired of reading, I highly recommend you go to the bloodsugar101 website and do some reading there. And believe me, it won't just be a repeat of what you have already read. It is eye-opening.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dito to Gizmo on That one. Just to give u a head start, mostly all. Carbs and sugar is a diabetic's enemy.

Good luck and do read on this forum, these people have a wealth of info, and help me drop my A1c from 14 to 5.9 in 3 months.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Gizmo gave you a good place to start! Here is the URL Blood Sugar 101
For me the lower carb approach helped reduce my A1C from 6.9 (early this year) to the latest of 5.3. It really wasn't to difficult, some of the best advice that stuck with me was to not be hungry due to diet. If you get hungry, eat something low carb to avoid high BG! Of course sometimes that is much easier said than done (yes I am talking about me) :D
Since you exercise each day, that is great help!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Be forewarned that your meeting with a Dietician may not go the way you think it should. Most dieticians ascribe to the ADA type diet which allows way too many complex and simple carbs at meals. I remember my dietician told me it was ok to be 180 after meals. I followed that terrible advice for far too long before I came across the right information on online forums. Every diabetic is different, we have different amounts of pancreatic function left and we are on differnt medications/insulins. I am extremely sensitive to all carbs so I limit myself to 10-15 per meal. Actually in the morning I eat only 2-3 carbs. My dietician had me eating 45-60 carbs a meal or more. My best advice is to test 2 hours after you eat and let your after meal BG number be your guide. Ideally you want to be no higher than 120-140. I actually try to be much lower, closer to a normal reaction, 100-120. Start making a list of foods that give you good bgs and foods that give you terrible bgs. For example with fruit, although it is supposedly healthy it spikes me terribly, so I avoid it except for small amounts of berries which I tolerate. Whole wheat bread is another thing that spikes me very high. Now whole wheat Pasta is tricky. I get good 2 hour numbers but very high 3 and 4 hour numbers. So basically you have to understand your entire bg profile. I remember my doctor telling me to test 2 times per week, if I had done that my HbA1c would still be high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AcadianFury said:
Dito to Gizmo on That one. Just to give u a head start, mostly all. Carbs and sugar is a diabetic's enemy.

Good luck and do read on this forum, these people have a wealth of info, and help me drop my A1c from 14 to 5.9 in 3 months.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jwags said:
Be forewarned that your meeting with a Dietician may not go the way you think it should. Most dieticians ascribe to the ADA type diet which allows way too many complex and simple carbs at meals. I remember my dietician told me it was ok to be 180 after meals. I followed that terrible advice for far too long before I came across the right information on online forums. Every diabetic is different, we have different amounts of pancreatic function left and we are on differnt medications/insulins. I am extremely sensitive to all carbs so I limit myself to 10-15 per meal. Actually in the morning I eat only 2-3 carbs. My dietician had me eating 45-60 carbs a meal or more. My best advice is to test 2 hours after you eat and let your after meal BG number be your guide. Ideally you want to be no higher than 120-140. I actually try to be much lower, closer to a normal reaction, 100-120. Start making a list of foods that give you good bgs and foods that give you terrible bgs. For example with fruit, although it is supposedly healthy it spikes me terribly, so I avoid it except for small amounts of berries which I tolerate. Whole wheat bread is another thing that spikes me very high. Now whole wheat Pasta is tricky. I get good 2 hour numbers but very high 3 and 4 hour numbers. So basically you have to understand your entire bg profile. I remember my doctor telling me to test 2 times per week, if I had done that my HbA1c would still be high.
That is some interesting information! And I have to agree with about dietician!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welocme

Hello,
Everyone I was just recently diagnosed with type 2. I'm 46 years young!! LOL! The biggest thing I have a issue with is figuring how many complex carbs and sugar am allowed. I have bought so many books, and have read myself to sleep every night. My brain is in overload. I have a appointment next week to see a dietitian but just wanted to get a head start on things my self. I started taking METFORMIN 500mg once a day, and already lost 10 lbs. I exercise everyday.

Hi Change and welcome to the site. You're sure to get lots of good helpful information here as well as make lots of friends at the same time:D.

Gene

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome C2C you sound a little like me. I also was started on 500 a day and now at 750. 1/2 tab every main meal. I got the surprise 6 months ago and I am down 20 lbs. I brains gone numb from trying to absorb it all so I have been taking a break and am just focusing on minimizing my carbs and maximizing my greens & lean protein. I do over consume nuts and need to eat them more in moderation but find it hard to. I first read almonds were great for regulating BS so that's all I ate :) love my nuts lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts