The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my very first post on this forum, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in May and have been struggling ever since.

I am only 27 years old, so this has been a very emotional and difficult experience for me. Over this past year my mother noticed my hair was dramatically thinning, and I have lost roughly 30 lbs without really working out or changing my diet enough to warrant the weight-loss, so I had myself checked by my GP. At my heaviest I was 245 lbs, and was for some time while I was going through university. I was seeing my doctor regularly because I was getting blood-testing for my depression/weight and even though I knew I was overweight, I had never been diagnosed pre-diabetes. Despite the weight I was always told I was healthy as a horse other than low B12. And then all of a sudden when I had bloodwork done in May, BAM: I was told I was a T2 diabetic, no doubt.

I was sooooooo upset. Especially because I had lost 30 lbs and was sitting at 215 lbs. I was the lightest I'd been in years, and aside from the constant fatigue I was happy I had lost some weight. But according to my GP I lost the weight b/c of the diabetes, so I was pretty upset. Not only that, but my hair has dramatically thinned as well, making me feel pretty insecure.

I'm just really depressed and frustrated. I know so many others that eat WAAAAY worse than me, so why has this happened to me? I feel like my life is already over at 27, and I can't help but feel sorry for myself. And angry. I feel like I'm really struggling with this emotionally, and I hate taking the medication every day, and I'm always tired and frustrated.... I'm just tired of feeling like crap, and tired of feeling alone.

If anyone can lend some support or advice, I'd really appreciate it <3 I just feel so lost.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I guess we all feel lost in the beginning, Evanny. That 's the way of it. My Dad had what was called 'high blood sugar' in the 70's and 80's so I just asked for a random A1C 3 years ago altho' I had never had it mentioned and found a 6.9 and came home and read all I could and found that it was a function of my diet so changed it and now I have a normal BG. No drugs so far. Be glad you found us. It will help you over the depression and help you challenge this disease as you are able.

What drugs are you on? I've never taken one but it will help us to help you. You can continue your weight loss and help you hit your weight loss without damage to your health. I don't believe it is because of what you ate, but what your genetics are.

Hold your head up and hang with us and you'll feel better soon.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome Evanny

Feeling afraid and alone when first diagnosed is common to many of us. Having to change our way of eating drastically seems so overwhelming and maybe a little depressing knowing we can't easily 'join' in and eat what everyone else is eating and being self conscious of having to bring our own food to social events. Then there's having to take meds if needed.

I felt this way too until I finally realised Diabetes is for life and I have two choices. Ignore it, eat whatever I want = I'll go back to feeling ill and not only that I could suffer the horrendous complications that go with untreated diabetes.

Or I can put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

It's not easy. It's a pain having to cook all my meals, walk past a bakery, having to bring my own food to social situations and having to constantly be aware of my carbs/fat intake ....

But this is why I do it.

To feel so much better than I've done in quite a few years. To take control of this D thing and not have it control me. To know I most probably won't go blind or have a toe amputated.

It's OK to feel a little grief because it does necessitate drastic changes in your life. But once you start to feel good you'll be motivated to keep going.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the kind comments. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Right now I'm taking 2000mg of metformin a day. I need to see my GP again to see if this needs adjusting though.

It's been pretty frustrating for me. I know it's partly genetics, but I know part of it is probably my own fault as well, and I can't help but be angry at myself. I know I'm an emotional eater, and have been since I was 12 when my father passed away.

I feel like food is my one comfort in life, and now it's suddenly off-limits. For the most part I eat ok, but I definitely enjoy my carbs. They're my ultimate comfort food. I'm hoping if I change my diet and exercise regularly I can get off the metformin. Taking a look around on this forum has been very helpful, and it's nice to know I'm not alone in this struggle. Thank you for the warm welcome and advice--tonight I was feeling especially awful, and now I'm feeling like there's some hope, finally.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Welcome. Please try not to blame yourself. Many can eat what they want and not get D. Some get D, even eating what they think of as a healthy diet. Getting a disease is not fun. But feel lucky in that it is an easily controllable disease. I know how you feel right now. It will be ok. You can control this and live a healthy life full of new comfort foods. Plenty of recipes on this forum!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Evany. Believe it or not, some of the type 2's here take Metformin even though they don't have to. It helps with insulin resistance and for some, helps with weight loss, and is considered by most here to be the safest diabetic drug there is.

From eating lchf my husband lost too much weight, now I have to feed him fattening stuff to try and keep his weight up. He wasn't trying to lose, was just trying to control his bg, and the weight came off on it's own. As for me, I lost 40 pound without even trying.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling so well, but once you get your blood sugar down where it should be, it won't be long until you are feeling much better.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I would ask your doctor to be tested for type 1 or 2. Normally type 1 diabetes results in weight loss, as you don't have enough insulin to store carbs. Type 2 diabetes usually results in weight gain, as you have too much insulin but your cells aren't accepting it as energy so it gets stored as fat.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hi Evanny, Welcome.

Its normal to feel that way at first. I was the same as I knew nothing about the illness even if it traces back to my dad and his family genetically. I am often still annoyed with it, especially when I'm near a bakery, but we get over it and so will you.
I was very tired when I was first dx and have much more energy now. With control, it becomes a way of life and its not that hard.

You will have great support here, so don't feel alone. Lots of very knowledgeable people on this forum who can offer guidance and you'll feel so much better in no time. I am T2 and have lost weight and still drop a cm or two.

What are your readings like? Are you testing? Did you get your HBA1C from your doctor? Let us know and stay connected :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, Evanny, totally relate to the emotional devastation at dx. It is VERY hard!

I would second the ruling out of autoimmune diabetes -- you should get c-peptide and GAD-65 antibody testing (C-pep tells you how much insulin you are producing and a low value might point to Type 1). And do not assume or let your docs assume it is not Type 1 based on either weight OR family history ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts