The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Don't know if this is in the wrong place but:
My name is Josh and I am a 21 year old college student at Wichita State University.
I was diagnosed on May 26th of this year. As I look back I realized that I have probably had symptoms for probably 6 months. I was frequently urinating, drinking alot, losing weight, etc. etc. etc. My mom and I went out to dinner on the 23rd. She is a nurse and noticed I was drinking ALOT. She mentioned I should probably get checked out. This resonated deeply because I had just been golfing with a good friend with diabetes and, as a result of my bathroom usage, he recommended getting tested.
As a result of these two suggestions, I made an appointment. I went to the Dr. and got tested. I went home and did some homework (I was in a summer class at the time). I was getting nervous so I went out to mow the yard. I barely got started and my Dr. called me back. He told me I was diabetic. Even though I was prepared for the diagnosis it was still extremely difficult to hear. He told me he thought I was DKA and was close to a coma and/or death and to get to the hospital immediately.
When I got to the ER, the admissions nurse tested my BG and it didn't register. She said this means it was over 700. They asked me how bad I had been feeling and I told them that I was just fine. My A1C was >14. They said it was unusual for someone that high to be feeling "normal". They found out that I wasn't DKA (thank God) and sent me to a room.
Spent the next day with a diabetic instructor who not only helped me with the logistics of diabetes but the emotional side as well. I have spent the last month and a half learning everything I could and working hard to keep my BG and diet under control. My numbers are consistently between 80-130 and I am feeling good.
Just thought I would introduce myself and thank you all in advance for your help and advice. I look forward to getting to know you all.
Josh

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My goodness, Josh . . . you have an amazing circle of family, friends and medical community! Kudos on facing the music and taking control of your diabetes, and thank heaven - against all odds apparently - you weren't in DKA. Is your diagnosis type 1?

I look forward to getting better acquainted with you too, and thank you for joining us!

take care & visit us often!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am Type 1. I was literally in tears (of joy) at the hospital when they told me I wasn't DKA. I was expecting to die. But I was a little uneducated.
I take humalog with every meal and lantus at night.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And you weren't far wrong, Josh . . . DKA is dangerous! You have a good medical team.

I'm really glad you're here with us now - come around often. There are plenty more of us who'll be back after the holiday is past.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Welcome Josh! Glad you got to the hospital and sorted things out. DKA is nothing to mess around with. There is a wealth of information to be found on the forum. You can easily search topics that might interest you. I hope that you have time to visit often.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome, and Praise God You're Fine....

Welcome to the forum. I can thoroughly understand where you are coming from. As the other already said DKA is a bad thing, and dangerous. You were being looked over, and I'm thankful you made it to the hospital on time.

I was similar to you. When I went to my doctor, in 1995, my BG was 540 :eek:, and the doctor immediately had me lay down and they shot me up with insulin.

Withing the hour I was down to 100, and went home with a new disease: Diabetes.

It changed my life, and continues to change my life. You have my thoughts and every prayer as you learn how to life a full life with the diabetes.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Josh, welcome aboard! I was a type 1 in college too. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. If you are going to be diagnosed with diabetes, it is much better to have it now than in the 1940's! LOL!!! i am very healthy after 64 uears of type 1. You are off to a good start with your BC levels. Keep with your good control and you may live to be a healthy old geezer like me!

Ask all the questions you want. We are here to help.

Richard

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Josh,

welcome to THE best diabetes forum on the internet!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I firmly believe that God was watching over me. It is still a little hard sometimes when I see things and want to eat them or am always having to take time away from activities in order to test. But I would much rather do that than have complications or death.
I will ask a lot of questions I'm sure. Some of them might sound stupid to some of you, have patience, but I hope to give my input as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts