The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on 21st of January. My blood test stated 347, Dr started me on 500mg of Metformin (twice a day) that very same day. Picked up the meter the following week, and then the week after I met with the diabetic educator to get started on the right foods. My readings have flexed between 128-183, Dr has upped the Met to 3 in AM & 2 PM. I check my glucose in AM after fasting 8 hrs and again 2 hrs before supper.

The most frustrating thing is my eyesight had gotten worst on the 27th of Jan...enough to scare the Dickens out of me. My pcp and nurses are all assuring me it will get better once I get my glucose regulated. I even was so scared I called my eye doctor at home...when I had my eyes examined I didn't need glasses, the eye dr told me if I was comfortable using the otc 125 glasses for reading was perfectly ok with him. Everything is fuzzy, I using 225 in order to read right now. :(

A little about me...that states it right there, LITTLE. I'm little in other words "petite or tiny", the last 2 years I've been weighing in at 108, I weigh myself earlier today tipping the scale at 97. I do not need to lose anymore weight.

I'll hit the big 60 in July, I'm retired military with 28 years service, married 36 yrs and Mimi to 2 beautiful grand daughters. I'm very active with babysitting the 2 GD and on the 214 acre working farm raising beef cattle. I love metal detecting and looking for Indian artifacts...plus a moderator on a metal detecting forum (over 40,000 members), administrator of our local historical website.

My goal is to get the glucose level down and continue eating "healthy" and getting my eyesight back normal.

MimiMc

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Mimi, welcome to the Forum, glad to have you here.

There are lots of great people here, and they will chime in :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mimi, welcome to the Forum, glad to have you here.

There are lots of great people here, and they will chime in :)
Thanks for the welcome, TBP! Just doing some reading around the forum...I'm learning.:) This is a good place to be.:D

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Yep, lots to learn, lots to read.

This place is a lifesaver in my opinion. its a place where we as Diabetics can talk with others that KNOW what we are talking about.

it's happened to me often that friends and family just dont "get it" when it comes to me and my diabetes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Mimi! Yes, high blood sugars make our vision weird, but it does subside when the levels get low & stabilized. Your metformin will make a big difference, and if you avoid fast-acting carbohydrates, you should have it well controlled very soon. Build your meals around protein & fats, so that there's no component that can raise your blood sugar. If you eat to satiety, you shouldn't lose any more weight. There is one thing you might cover if things don't settle down right away - get a test for GAD antibodies, just to make sure you aren't a type 1 or type 1.5 diabetic . . . being as small as you are gives me just a little doubt about you being a type 2, which is the treatment you're presently being given.

If you could test more often, you could determine which foods elevate your levels and eliminate those from your menus. Just avoid grains, pasta, potatoes, breads, rice, etc. All the "white" foods are the villains here. :D

Isn't being "Mimi" a wonderful life?! I thought I loved being a mom, but I dearly adore being a granny!

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Mimi :) look forward to hearing your experiences. Diet with the D is slightly different for everyone so you need to trial what works best for you. I'm a person that functions better on low fat and wholegrain carb diet (I eat oats, pasta, basmati rice, wholegrain breads, etc. all in moderation with every meal/snack... carb vegies don't give me enough energy... I'm more prone to hypos when I eat them) with non starchy vegies. I do eat small portions of nuts, avocados, olives sometimes which have good fats... but I steer clear of too much meat, full cream dairy, coconut, etc as they contain saturated fats. I'm type 2 on insulin.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Mimi, I would second what Shanny said and get a GAD antibody test and a
C-Peptide test to check to see if you are a Type 1.5 ( LADA)- Slow onset Type 1. If so, metformin won't work and you will need insulin to lower bgs. As far as the vision goes, once your bgs get into a more normal range the blurriness should disappear. It may take several months though. As far as diet goes, I would tell you to experiment with different foods and check 2 hours after you eat. As a new diabetic you should be testing when you wake up and before and after each meal and before bed. I know this sounds like a lot of testing but it is the only way to figure out how your D body works. When your bgs get closer to 100 you can cut back on some of the testing if you eat the same things all the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank y'all so much for welcoming me here.

Shanny & jwags, y'all are scaring me even more with the tests. I pray I'm not heading in that direction. The only people in my family who ever had diabetes was my grandpa on my daddy's side, this was about 40 years ago, so he had to have been in his late 70's...he died at the age of 95. Just found out after my diagnostic, that a cousin (my age) on my mom's side is pre-diabetic, she taking Metformin and using the meter & watching her carbs.

Good news! My GL was 118 this morn...that really made me feel optimistic!

I notice several of y'all are taking Biotin, fish oil & coconut oil. I had several friends including my diabetes educator tell me about cinnamon to sprinkle on all my fruits/cereal/oatmeal. My doctor after talking with him and with his approval I've ordered "Cinnamon Complex" 1,000 mg of cinnamon and 200 mcg of chromium picolinate from Puritan's Pride. Green Source (multi vit & min) contains 300mcg of biotin; 100mcg of chromium pico. I also take as recommended by doctor... glucosamine-chondroitin msm & calcium 600+D.

I'm sure I will get plenty of good information and advice here and from different members.

Y'all have a greaaat day!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mimi, welcome. I hope you come back often. There is no reason to be scared of the tests. You are diabetic. Now the question is what type of diabetic you are. If you are Type 2, you will be Type 2 forever. Same with Type 1 and 1.5. There is no "direction" you are headed in with regards to what type of diabetic you are, you are already there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

on 21st of January. My blood test stated 347, Dr started me on 500mg of Metformin (twice a day) that very same day. Picked up the meter the following week, and then the week after I met with the diabetic educator to get started on the right foods. My readings have flexed between 128-183, Dr has upped the Met to 3 in AM & 2 PM. I check my glucose in AM after fasting 8 hrs and again 2 hrs before supper.

The most frustrating thing is my eyesight had gotten worst on the 27th of Jan...enough to scare the Dickens out of me. My pcp and nurses are all assuring me it will get better once I get my glucose regulated. I even was so scared I called my eye doctor at home...when I had my eyes examined I didn't need glasses, the eye dr told me if I was comfortable using the otc 125 glasses for reading was perfectly ok with him. Everything is fuzzy, I using 225 in order to read right now. :(

A little about me...that states it right there, LITTLE. I'm little in other words "petite or tiny", the last 2 years I've been weighing in at 108, I weigh myself earlier today tipping the scale at 97. I do not need to lose anymore weight.

I'll hit the big 60 in July, I'm retired military with 28 years service, married 36 yrs and Mimi to 2 beautiful grand daughters. I'm very active with babysitting the 2 GD and on the 214 acre working farm raising beef cattle. I love metal detecting and looking for Indian artifacts...plus a moderator on a metal detecting forum (over 40,000 members), administrator of our local historical website.

My goal is to get the glucose level down and continue eating "healthy" and getting my eyesight back normal.

MimiMc
Was glad that you found us, and hope you can reap a lot of support and wisdom from your peers on this forum.

I'm sorry about your diagnosis, but, you will find that it's not the end of the world, and your ending remarks sound as though you have a positive attitude. That is the secret to living with diabetes.

Good luck, and stay in contact with all of us here!

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little update to this post...my eyesight is back normal!! I've lost more weight, down to 94 and I cried my eyeballs out at the doctors office. We both thinking alike believe that the Metformin was causing a havic on my stomach. I was having watery diarrhea 4-5 times a morn before I could finish my one and only mug of coffee. I was reduced from the 5 Metformins a day to 2 (1 morn/1 night) and put on Glipizide 5mg (1/2 morn/1/2 night). Well, I'm back to normal routines on the commode. But, I still need to gain some weight back...I hear eat more protein. Everything dealing with diabetes is to lose weight why not the other way around for some people. My bgl has been averaging 120 for 30 day reading, and the last 14 day average was 115. I've had only 2 readings in the 80's and they scared me...I can feel the "feeling" coming on so I stop everything and eat right then and there. Normally it's the wait of 2 hours to test before supper when this happened.

The doctor told me to carry a jar of peanut butter with me and to eat 2 tsps at least every 2 hours. I'm on a 45-47 carb grams for BLS and 15-17 for snacks.

Appt for A1C Thurs, so wish me luck. If you know of any "fattening" foods that will help me gain some weight, let me know please.

Oh, while my mind is on it, is there any way to check back on the last posts made here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts