The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed this last week with diabetes. I have felt overwhelmed thinking about all the changes I need to make. I just know I want to keep myself healthy!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Tammy. Were you diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2? What are you taking for medication, if any? We're all in the same boat here so feel free to ask us whatever you want and we'll be there for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am taking Metformin. I am just assuming type 2. The doctor never really said. I am 46. My A1C average was 154. And my fasting glucose was 175. Why does my blood sugar go down after eating?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If you're not on insulin then you are Type 2. There can be a variety of reasons why your blood sugar is going down after eating. First of all, when are you doing your testing? What did you eat when your BG level went down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been testing before I eat and about 2 hours after. I have been trying to eat salad and a little protein.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have been testing before I eat and about 2 hours after. I have been trying to eat salad and a little protein.
That would definitely explain why your levels are getting lower. You're eating a low carb meal which is what many of us here on the forums, do to get control over our levels. Breads, pastas, potatoes, and rices as well as most fruit and certain vegetables are off-limits as they will cause our levels to rise.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Tammy, welcome to DF. Type 2 is really a collection of different symptoms the main one being we don't metabolise carbs very well. The reason can be varied. Some of us still produce insulin but our body doesn't recognise it. Some of us are insulin insufficient. Some of us have signals between hormones that get crossed. Some of us get "liver dumps" when we don't eat for a long time. In the morning a lot of us have higher bgs even though we haven't eaten in a very long time. This is called Dawn Phenomenom or DP. It is a reaction from certain stress hormones that signal liver to change stored glycogen or "carbs" into available glucose. Our insulin stores are usually at their lowest in the morning so our bgs are high. But if we eat something it gives the pancreas a kick in the butt to start producing insulin again, thus dropping bgs. The most important thing for a diabetic is to eat on a regular schedule. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The secret to controlling diabetes is to keep those carbs way down.

Here is a link to our recipe section. And here's a tip. When looking for recipes online, don't look for diabetic recipes, they are almost always loaded with carbs. Look for low carb recipes.

Keep up the good work with your bg and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome Tammy glad you found us. Lots of go people here and resources. I been diagnosed for about 6 months now. Good luck in getting things sorted out. It's definitely a challenge and change in lifestyle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the information. It isvery helpful! I have so many questions! I am seeing a dietician on Wednesday.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

I was diagnosed this last week with diabetes. I have felt overwhelmed thinking about all the changes I need to make. I just know I want to keep myself healthy!!
Hi Tammy and welcome, you've come to the right place and I'm sure you will get lots of good information here. Main thing is that you are not alone with this and many good people here to help out all the time:D.

Gene

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If I get my blood sugar in line, is there a chance my feeling will come back in my toes?
None of us is going to give you a guarantee that the feeling will come back in your toes, but many people on this forum have had neuropothy which reversed itself once they got their bg under control.

I am seeing a dietician on Wednesday.
When it comes to diet, don't expect your dietician to give you the same advice as you will receive on the forum. Many people find that dieticians recommend that diabetics eat way too many carbs, which makes it impossible for most of us to get our bg down. If you haven't done any reading at the bloodsugar101 website, I believe it would be very helpful to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts