The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...

I just got diagnosed last week. I'm 32 years old and was put on glucovance. Since last week, my blood sugars have been between 113-198.

I've been keeping a close eye on what I eat. Hopefully I can make the right diet changes and not have to rely on medication, but I'm taking one step at a time.

The most annoying thing now is the blurry vision. Does this eventually go away?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi kas,
I was just diagnosed Oct. 4, 2011. I have the blurry vision too. I am still struggling to find out where I am in all this but the people on this site are very helpful. I go back for my blood work results Oct. 25, 2011. I hope everything turns out well. I guess we have to take it one day at a time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: eyes
Your vision will stabilize once your blood sugars stabilize. That can take anywhere from a couple of weeks. I have heard of others who report the vision problems to last a month or more. Depends on your body. One bit of advice. Don't change a vision script (such as changing glasses if you already wear them or having glasses prescribed) until the blood sugar readings have stabilized. Some find temporary relief with reading glasses until vision returns to normal.
Hope this helps. Welcome Kas.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As you get your bg averages down your vision should improve. It can take as long as several months. I have been pretty much controlled for several years now but I do notice if I let my bgs go above 130 or so the eye problems return so that is an incentive to keep it low.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good to meet you, kas; thank you for joining us.

If you don't have a meter, it will help a lot to get one. That way you can test after meals to determine which foods are kindest to your blood sugar levels and make a sort of master list of the foods you can safely eat all the time.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: from me!

It's amazing how once your sugars stabilize into 'normal' territory, the symptoms of diabetes can reverse themselves.

I'm growing hair back on my lower legs and feet again... :D As I'm middle-aged I thought the lack of hair on my legs was simply due to age, like how our hair thins as we get older... Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Now that my sugars are improved, and circulation is improving, my legs and feet have new hair growing on them.

On the annoying side though ... it's all GREY. :mad:

The single BEST thing you can do to reduce your sugars is DIET. Low-Carb, as low as possible.

Remember though, low-carb should NOT mean low-calorie. Replace the carbohydrate with healthy fats and protein.

Check out Blood Sugar 101 and especially her link called "How to Lower Your Blood Sugar"

I also recommend reading Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' - some of his book is available free online, or you can get it through your local library... or purchase it if you so desire.

Good Luck, and we're glad you're here!

Reactions: Dura

·
Banned
158 Posts
Hello everyone...

I just got diagnosed last week. I'm 32 years old and was put on glucovance. Since last week, my blood sugars have been between 113-198.

I've been keeping a close eye on what I eat. Hopefully I can make the right diet changes and not have to rely on medication, but I'm taking one step at a time.

The most annoying thing now is the blurry vision. Does this eventually go away?
Welcome, Kas!!
Yes! The blurry vision thing does eventually go away. :)
When I was finally able to start getting my Diabetes treated with meds and insulin about one ago, the blurry vision was one of the first things I noticed. However, I didn't realize it was connected to my rapidly decreasing BGs. I thought "old age" was hitting b/c I just turned 50! :D

I went out and bought me some of those reading glasses from Walgreens because I could no longer even see read my computer screen!:eek:

Then, I happened to read a post on this forum where someone was talking about having blurry vision that started after their BGs started coming down. Wow! That was great news to me.

If I remember correctly, I believe someone said that when your Diabetes is out of control, the fluid build up in your eyes causes your lens to become out of shape. Then, when you BGs come under control, the eye lens has to readjust to a new shape. Hope I'm remembering that correctly.

Anyway, they said it was a temporary thing and sure enough, they were right. I no longer have to use those reading glasses to read my computer screen.

Again, welcome to the forum. :)

·
Banned
158 Posts
It's amazing how once your sugars stabilize into 'normal' territory, the symptoms of diabetes can reverse themselves.
I totally agree, Beefy!!
My fingernails and toenails are growing at an unbelievable rate now. I swear I have to file back my fingernails every single day and trim my toenails at least once a week. When my BGs were out of control, these were things I did about once a month.

I do believe my new Endo was right when he said my body was starving and malnourished due to the 3-years my BGs were elevated while my Doc denied me treatment.

There are just so MANY things that have improved that I had just assumed were "normal" for me. Another e.g. - I had stopped driving at night time (if at all possible) because the halos and glares from all the lights made it nearly impossible to see well enough to feel safe driving. The other night I was driving home from the grocery store and realized that the halos and glares were GONE!! I can now see a sharp edge around things.

The body's ability to adapt and readjust is truly amazing!!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I don't think this is a widely known fact in the medical community. About 10 years ago, I happened to ask my eye doctor while having my eyes checked if it was normal to have 'bad eye' days and he assured me it was. When I mentioned it to him this year at my eye check up, he was completely unaware of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
not sure yet what to do pls guide

i have joined here because i am not getting help from my doc , my story is i took 4 mg daily to 8 mg daily amaryl but did not help me infact it makes me vagetable , and i was stuck to my bed .....
then i stop taking it , now i am better after leaving it ....
but still not fully recovered , my thirst is under control for water and urine time is better , but still some blurred vision , and i feel very weak .....
i was just wondering if i am type 1 and he is treating me type 2
my reading of random is variable from 160 to 310
i dont know where to go
here docs are nuts
my habc1 came 9.3
and have glucose in urine ...
pls help me people

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i have joined here because i am not getting help from my doc , my story is i took 4 mg daily to 8 mg daily amaryl but did not help me infact it makes me vagetable , and i was stuck to my bed .....
then i stop taking it , now i am better after leaving it ....
but still not fully recovered , my thirst is under control for water and urine time is better , but still some blurred vision , and i feel very weak .....
i was just wondering if i am type 1 and he is treating me type 2
my reading of random is variable from 160 to 310
i dont know where to go
here docs are nuts
my habc1 came 9.3
and have glucose in urine ...
pls help me people
Hey Sohail,
Welcome to the forum.
Why dont you start a new thread and introduce yourself.
You will find a lot of support on this group. Tell us more about yourself (age, history, diet) and we will be able to put in our comments.

Since our diets are very similar, I hope you've given up rice, biryanis and rotis (and any other bread) ?

There are tests available to check your type. If you dont like your doctor, like many of us here, change him. You're paying him money. He's supposed to work for you. You're his boss and not the other way around.

Tony

1 - 13 of 13 Posts