The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My better half, who also has diabetes, informed me that come heck or high water he is going to eat a slice of his mom's lemon meringue pie on Thanksgiving. Well, I made a deal with him. If I make a low carb LM pie, he'll eat that instead. I have spent the past hour online looking for a LC recipe, but there aren't that many to choose from and most use sugar free pudding mix, which to me seems to be pretty high carb. If anyone could come to my rescue, I would very much appreciate it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think what I'd do is make sugar-free lemon curd for the filling, put it in a nut crust & then add the meringue. You could also whip a bowlful of real cream & artificial sweetener - then combine the curd with the whipped cream for lemon chiffon.

This is the recipe I used to use for lemon curd - just swap out the sugar for a no-carb sweetener. Lemon Curd

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing I know about 'curd' is little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet, eating her curds and whey... cottage cheese... I do know my nursery rhymes. But the one thing I know about this recipe is it sounds like a great lemon meringue pie filling to me. DH is mostly interested in the filling, so I'll make a nut crust and top the pie with whipped cream. Shanny to the rescue once again. :hug:

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Use full fat greek yogurt, 2 packets of gelitan melted in 1/4 cup of boiling water, lemon juice, sweetener, pour over a nut crust, Topping use a 50/50 mix of cream cheese and heavy cream whipped with some sweetener and a few drops of lemon juice.

·
Registered
741 Posts
lemon curd is really easy to make...as is meringue ... a agree with shanny all you need is a nut crust...really any nut meal and some melted butter...

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Here is a recipe for KeyLime pie that can easily be made into a lemon pie, good luck, my family loves this recipe.

The pecan crust is: crushed pecans enough to cover bottom of pie shell, 1 egg white, butter or coconut oil, erythritol and or Splenda. I bake this ahead of time while mixing the pie filling.

Key Lime Pie

1 large tub of full fat Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup Key Lime Juice
1 small box SF jello
Pecan Meal for crust
8oz bar cream cheese
Heavy cream

I boiled the key lime juice then added the SF lime jello, mixed, then added to the Greek Yogurt, sweetened to taste with art sweetner. Poured this into a pecan crust, refrigerated until stiff.

Note: Let the Greek Yogurt warm a little on the counter before you add the gelatin mix, or you will get jello strings thru out your pie.

I topped this with a 50/50 mix of cream cheese and heavy cream whipped and cut slightly with key lime juice, I sweetened to taste. This was really good.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lemon Pie
Ingredients:
1 lb whole milk ricotta cheese (a 15-oz container works fine)
3 eggs
Juice and grated zest of one medium lemon
Sugar substitute to equal 2/3 cup of sugar - liquid preferred (see link below)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1. Separate the eggs, and beat the whites until soft peaks form.

2. Combine the egg yolks and the rest of the ingredients. Taste to see if it's lemony enough, as some lemons are "dryer" and have less juice (average is about 3 tablespoons of juice for a medium lemon). You can add half a teaspoon of lemon extract, or more lemon juice to taste.

3. Fold egg whites into the mixture and spread in a well-buttered pie pan.

Bake until barely set in the middle (a toothpick will come out clean or almost so) about 25 minutes. Chill completely before serving; about 90 minutes.

Nutritional Information: Each of 8 servings has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 8 grams protein, and 123 calories.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lemon Pie 2

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 cup pecans, ground
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. granular Splenda or stevia
Lemon Curd:
1 package sugar-free lemon Jello
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 tbsp. lemon zest (1 lemon)
1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup cold water
2 8-oz packages light cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granular Splenda or stevia
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Crust:
Melt the butter in a small bowl. Add the nuts, sweetener, combine well, and transfer to a pie pan. Spread all over bottom of pan and chill, in the refrigerator, for at least an hour.

Lemon Curd:
Bring water to a boil, and while waiting for that to happen, whip the heavy cream until peaks form. Set aside.

In a big bowl, mix the Jello with 1/3 cup boiling water until all the gelatin dissolves. Once it’s dissolved, add cold water and lemon juice, and stir. Slowly stir in the softened cream cheese while still beating with your mixer. Once the cream cheese is added, add the lemon zest, sweetener, and the vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and uniform in texture and color.

Fold in the whipped cream carefully, and keep folding until everything is mixed through.

Use a big rubber spatula to transfer everything into the cooled crust, and put back in the fridge to chill for at least 2-3 hours (preferably overnight). Makes 8 servings.

Nutritional Information per Serving:

Calories: 287.5
Fat: 23 g
Carbs: 5.4 g
Protein: 8.7 g

Reactions: MCS and Gizmo

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Humhum, these recipes sound delish. I have a feeling we'll be eating a lot of LM pie, I want to try everyone's suggestions and recipes, they all sound so good. Thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering you are a vegetarian and considering what Jell-O is made of, I can understand your reaction. Actually, for several years we were vegan because DH had a blockage, they did balloon surgery, so we did the reversing heart disease diet thing. Since we are both meat and dairy lovers, wish we would have known about LC/HF back then, but we're just thankful we know about it now.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had no problem at all making lemon curd without any type of gelatine...it worked first time...and you can control the amount of sweet/sour...I love sour lemon curd *drools*

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I had no problem at all making lemon curd without any type of gelatine...it worked first time...and you can control the amount of sweet/sour...I love sour lemon curd *drools*
Me either - never a problem. It went so well the first time - I was smitten! :D It thickens up beautifully & smoothly. I've always used a wooden spoon, but I see people who use a whisk so maybe that's okay too. Only thing is when it begins to thicken, it should coat the back of the wooden spoon, so that's how I tell it's done. It really is the easiest thing in the world!

·
Registered
741 Posts
lemon curd doesn't even use gelatine...so for me it's much easier

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here is a recipe I found. I don't know if it will help, but thought you could look at it too.

Candice's Low Carb Lemon Meringue Pie

Servings 5

Ingredients:

Crust:

1/2 cup ground almonds

1/3 cup(33grams) half or whole pecans

2 Tablespoons melted unsalted butter

1 Tablespoon Splenda

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Filling:

2 whole large eggs

3 large egg yolks

1/2 cup Splenda

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 tsp lemon zest

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter

pinch of salt

Meringue:

4 Large Egg Whites

1/4 cup Splenda

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

pinch of salt

Instructions:

Preheat oven 350F

Crust:

In food processes(or magic bullet or coffee grinder) pulse pecans till a mill texture(like the ground almonds)

In small bowl mix all ingredients

Spray 5 individual serving pie pans with cooking spray

Divide crust mixture among pans, about a Tablespoon per pan.

Press down with your finders firmly on the bottom, not sides though like a traditional pie(IF you want it to have crust all up the sides you would have to double crust recipe + add the extra carbs, so that was not happening for me :) )

Bake crust at 350F for 8 minutes

Let cool at room temperature while making filling

Filling:

Add all filling ingredients to a small heavy bottom saucepan. Whisk over MED heat till mixture starts to become thick.

Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the mixture(this gets out all lemon seeds and any cooked egg bits you might have)

Divide filling mixture among the 5 pie pans equally, about 1/4 cup per pie.

Set in fridge to cool at least 1/2 hour.

Meringue:

So I tried SEVERAL ways to make a meringue that would work with Splenda.. most tradition recipes just did not work! I usually cook my egg white... but it just was not happening with splenda ..

So here is what I came up with..

Put egg whites in mixer bowl, add salt. Mix till frothy. Add cream of tartar & splenda. Mix till you have a firm meringue/Stiff peaks, about 2-3 mins.

Assembly:

Preheat over to 500F

Divide Meringue equally among the 5 chilled pie's

Spoon on and smooth with small spatula

Bake at 500F for 8 minutes

Let pies cool, then refrigerate

Serve cold

Nutritional Information:

Energy288 kcal

Carbohydrate, by difference9.57 g

Sugars, total 1.66 g

Fiber, total dietary 1.91 g

Protein9.84 g

Total lipid (fat)25.68 g

·
Registered
249 Posts
No-Bake Low Carb Lemon Pie
by Olesya Novik

If you love the zesty, fresh, perfectly tart and sweet taste of lemon meringue pie as much as I do, but are watching your carbs, then you surely miss this light and airy, one of a kind dessert. Consider today your lucky day — the following is a low-carb alternative that’s sure to become a new favorite. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

Crust:

1 cup pecans, ground
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. granular Splenda or stevia

Lemon Curd:

1 package sugar-free lemon Jello
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 tbsp. lemon zest (1 lemon)
1/3 cup boiling water
1/3 cup cold water
2 8-oz packages light cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granular Splenda or stevia
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Crust:

Melt the butter in a small bowl. Add the nuts, sweetener, combine well, and transfer to a pie pan. Spread all over bottom of pan and chill, in the refrigerator, for at least an hour.

Lemon Curd:

Bring water to a boil, and while waiting for that to happen, whip the heavy cream until peaks form. Set aside.

In a big bowl, mix the Jello with 1/3 cup boiling water until all the gelatin dissolves. Once it’s dissolved, add cold water and lemon juice, and stir. Slowly stir in the softened cream cheese while still beating with your mixer. Once the cream cheese is added, add the lemon zest, sweetener, and the vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and uniform in texture and color.

Fold in the whipped cream carefully, and keep folding until everything is mixed through.

Use a big rubber spatula to transfer everything into the cooled crust, and put back in the fridge to chill for at least 2-3 hours (preferably overnight). Makes 8 servings.

http://oliciouslife.com/low-carb-lemon-pie-dessert/

Nutritional Information per Serving:

Calories: 287.5
Fat: 23 g
Carbs: 5.4 g
Protein: 8.7 g

1 - 20 of 22 Posts