The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get into high end semi-soft and hard cheeses.

Can you guys recommend any?

I love 9+ year old cheddar cheese and would like to expand my horizon, as its really difficult to find the old cheddar

O

·
0 Posts
I love my cheese... but I'm not too fussy. lol. I'm probably eating a small amount of it daily lately. I do like trying that camembert and brie cheese (the soft stuff) at parties. We have really nice cheddars here flavoured with port, chillies, and things like that. I'm probably not into the high end cheeses other that what I find in our supermarkets. It's probably different products from what you guys have there. I love our Tasmanian and Margaret River brand cheeses here.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I like cheeses, most kinds except the smelly ones. I like the smoked goudas the best. Over the weekend I was visiting my son and daughter in law in Pittsburg . We went shopping downtown. They had all these fantastic delis with hundreds of cheeses. We were overwhelmed by the selection. They usually let you try different cheeses before you buy. I do like Brie and Port Salut for the softer cheeses.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines as Jeanne - go to a deli & try a few free samples. Supermarkets are less likely to have it - I think you aren't looking for the ones sealed in plastic, are you? ;) I like brie & gouda for starters.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I am going to try 5-year old gouda tomorrow and see how it is.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
OMG AGED GOUDA IS WONDERFUL!!! My first and fave high-end cheese!!! Even the 18 month stuff is lovely ...

Recently my husband has been buying quite a few of the Sartori label cheeses. All have been wonderful.

For snacking (ie less $$$), I also like the Tillamook cheddar bars -- they make more aged cheddars, too.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, simply amazing the 5 year old gouda is!!!!!!!!

I got some today and must have had 3oz worth!!!!!

It tastes like caramel and butterscotch

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric! You're excited about food again! O happy day! :peace:
Ha ha!

This can get costly, as its at least $15 a pound

I need to find other hard cheeses to try

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried 7 year old Gouda today, not as good as the 5 year old IMO

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think im gonna live on Chee for a while! lol

I am finding myself less and less interested in meats lately

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Wine and cheese, who needs anything else.

O

·
0 Posts
I think im gonna live on Chee for a while! lol

I am finding myself less and less interested in meats lately
lol.... well that's the down side to eliminating stuff from your diet I suppose.

I pretty much try and stick to all food in moderation... just not in excess of anything. I'm a grazer anyhow in that I only eat a small piece of cheese or whatever. I think I'd be bored silly if I was eating the same food day in day out... I look for variety with most things.

Good luck with the cheese eating :D (hopefully you're eating other stuff as you need your nutrients.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you live near one of the larger Wegmans, check out their cheese shop. The people that work there seem to be quite knowledgable about the cheeses. You can tell them what you like and they will give good recommendations.

Manouri is good. It is imported from Greece. The first time we tried it, the cheese shop recommended it for stuffing into peppadews. That is really good and a huge hit on the hors d'oeuvres table at our parties. It's not always available, so we then found out about Bergenost. It is an artisanal cheese from Yancy's and made in New York state. Also tastes good in the peppadews. (sorry, I don't know the carb count of peppadews.) Speaking of peppadews, sausage stuffed peppadews are good. You stuff some raw sausage meat into them and bake. (Wegmans has them in the meat department.)

Here are a few websites about cheese.
Newest Semi-Soft Texture Gourmet Cheese

Cheese Guide - All About Cheese!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the cheese seems to be working...im up 1.7 pounds this week.
Still freaked out about it, but i have to come to terms with it.

The other bad thing is how expensive it is! lol

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 16 of 16 Posts