The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fortunate enough to have a Dr that answers my questions and concerns through email. In my last email one of my questions was how many carbs I should limit myself per day/meal. She told me she couldn't give me a number. That was a question I will get answered when I meet with the dietitian.

I realize every one's diet plan will prob be different. I was wondering if a few people here could tell me about their carb intake. Im just looking for a ballpark figure till I talk to the dietitian.

Here are my "stats" if it matters: 37 years old, 5'11', 235 pounds, BG average 250, type 2, I take oral meds and I also have high blood pressure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my Diabetes Education classes we were told that if you are on a meal plan of 3 meals and 2 snack per day. Then for men:

To lose weight:
45 to 60 grams of carbs per meal

To Maintain weight:
60 to 70 grams of carbs per meal

I think the numbers for women were about 15 grams per meal lower.
Also; if the fiber content of a given food item is more than 5 grams. Then you can subtract the fiber grams from the carb grams.

For example; in my Diabetes Education class the educator showed us a can of Black beans.
It's nutrition label stated that it had 21 grams of carbs and 6 grams of fiber per serving. So she said this means we count the number of carbs to be 15 grams instead of the full 21 grams.

The science behind this is that the high fiber prevents our digestive system from gaining access to all the carbs. Hence it simply passes through our body.
I guess it makes sense. Just look at what cows do. They eat lots of grass; which is high in fiber. And they poop a lot. :D

J

·
0 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have a Dr that answers my questions and concerns through email. In my last email one of my questions was how many carbs I should limit myself per day/meal. She told me she couldn't give me a number. That was a question I will get answered when I meet with the dietitian.

I realize every one's diet plan will prob be different. I was wondering if a few people here could tell me about their carb intake. Im just looking for a ballpark figure till I talk to the dietitian.

Here are my "stats" if it matters: 37 years old, 5'11', 235 pounds, BG average 250, type 2, I take oral meds and I also have high blood pressure.
My dietician, and my diabetes health care providers disagree on this.

First my dietician told my wife that if I ate 75gr of carbs per meal, I'd be ok. That's 225gr of carbs per day.

Next my diabetes health care providers told me that the human body needs 120gr of carbs per day for your brain to operate properly.

Now there are people on this as well as other boards, that say that they eat 100gr or less of carbs, some as little as 50gr of carbs per day, and they do ok, so they say.

Now I eat between 120, and 165gr of carbs per day, and my BG is fine. I have an overnight fasting BG of 100, and in between 140 and 170 2 hours after eating, and these numbers are fine according to the ADA (American Diabetes Association).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both Ett and John, you were very helpful. Thats not really a lot of carbs, is it? I think my wife's cat eats more carbs than that (just being sarcastic)...I did a quick search online for a carb list. I couldn't find anything with much detail. But atleast I have a starting point now.

Anyways thanks again, both post were very informative. I am going to try and count my carbs tomorrow. Get a jump start before I go to my class's in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you both Ett and John, you were very helpful. Thats not really a lot of carbs, is it? I think my wife's cat eats more carbs than that (just being sarcastic)...I did a quick search online for a carb list. I couldn't find anything with much detail. But atleast I have a starting point now.

Anyways thanks again, both post were very informative. I am going to try and count my carbs tomorrow. Get a jump start before I go to my class's in a couple weeks.
In your class you will learn about carb "Exchanges". Which is basically estimating your carbs.
Such as a small piece of fruit; apple, pear, peach, etc ... the size of a tennis ball; is approximately 15 grams of carbs. A slice of bread is also about 15 grams of carbs.

--ET
You will also learn how to go grocery shopping. They will teach you to stay away from the packaged foods; which are found in the inner aisles. And to buy food from the outer edge of the grocery store; ie the produce, meat, and dairy sections.

J

·
0 Posts

You will find having diabetes, that "some" changes have to be made, and eating fewer carbs is one of them. When you go to your diabetes educator, you will find this out, they should push counting carbs, and reading labels when shopping.

Look online for the calorieking.com, a great web site. You can input different foods, or restaurants, and it will tell you the nutritional value, including carbs, calories etc., and they sell a book that comes out every year, called CalorieKing Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter, for cooking at home. It's now up to the 2009 edition, and it's only $8.00 from them (I got mine from Amazon.com). You don't have to buy it every year, unless you go out to eat a lot, because the only thing that changes a lot are the restaurants. Both the web site, and the book will be of a great help to you when it comes to counting carbs. B-T-W, the book does change from year to year. I got my first edition free, from my endo's office, then if I wanted a newer version, I bought it.

Also look here:

http://www.dlife.com

They have a great food section, with recipes for diabetics.

Also do a Google search for diabetic recipes, something should pop up there, like:

http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carb counting day 1...a miserable failure. How do you make the time? It seems like the whole world and your family has to practically go out of their way to accommodate you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info John. I just checked out the links you suggested. They were both really good sites. I particularly liked dlife.com. I also took your suggestion and bought the book: The CalorieKing Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate Counter. It looked like a really good book. It should be here in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will also learn how to go grocery shopping. They will teach you to stay away from the packaged foods; which are found in the inner aisles. And to buy food from the outer edge of the grocery store; ie the produce, meat, and dairy sections.
Thats good because I do all the grocery shopping for my family. I also do 99% of cooking. My wife is a lost cause in the kitchen even our 3 kids dread her cooking! Ha Ha....I hope she doesn't read this post :)

Im already wondering when I get into the full swing of cooking diffrent meals how their going to react (mostly the kids).

J

·
0 Posts
Carb counting day 1...a miserable failure. How do you make the time? It seems like the whole world and your family has to practically go out of their way to accommodate you.
Once you get in the swing of carb counting, it becomes second nature.

Well, maybe not the world, but if your family loves you, and I'm sure that they do, they will have no problem going out of their way for you. Just remember, they want you to live, and counting carbs is a good start.

J

·
0 Posts
Im already wondering when I get into the full swing of cooking diffrent meals how their going to react (mostly the kids).
Cooking for a diabetic, doesn't mean bad meals. Hell my wife and I still go out to restaurants, just explain to the waiter, or the waitress that your a diabetic, and you need something lower in carbs, and preferably no sugars. Remember, your not the only diabetic out there.

I used to do the cooking, now she does, she just tells me how many carbs to bolus for before the meal. I have favorites, just as you will. Believe me it's time well spent, and you'll be healthier for it. And if your wife, and kids eat what you do, then they'll be healthier too.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Brian, I have been diabetic for 63 years and for my first 40 years none of my doctors ever said anything to me about carbs. The only advice they gave me was to not eat anything containing a lot of sugar. I ate tons of carbs every day and had high blood sugar almost all the time. I did not gain weight because I used insulin taken from pigs and cows and people using that type of insulin did not have much of a problem with weight, especially if they were Type 1. With the modern day insulins there is a tendency to gain weight. The more carbs I eat then the more insulin I need and the more weight I gain. To stop this vicious cycle I had to reduce my carb intake so I would need less insulin. I had gained 57 pounds which caused me to become insulin resistant (a Type 2 characteristic) so I am a "double diabetic". I settled on 150 carbs per day add exercised more often for several years and lost 26 pounds and then leveled off and maintained that weight. More recently I ate 130 carbs per day and finally 100 per day. I was weak and had very little energy even though I stuck with 100 carbs for several weeks. I went back to 130 carbs and I regained my energy. My conclusion is that each person needs to find their own personal minimum carb level at which they are comfortable and have enough energy. Carbs give us our energy. I have a friend who eats 80 catbs per day and he feels great and has lost much weight. I have to have 130 carbs per day to feel great. We are all different. My problem now is that I am not losing any more weight even though I eat only 130 carbs per day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lengthy Information and Advice !!! But, Is it useful?

Once you get in the swing of carb counting, it becomes second nature.

Well, maybe not the world, but if your family loves you, and I'm sure that they do, they will have no problem going out of their way for you. Just remember, they want you to live, and counting carbs is a good start.

Dear Friend,

I venture to give you a long advice!!!

Your present is weight 235 lbs. Hence, your present BMI is 32.8 and you fall into obese category. It is recommended that BMI should be less than 24 for any person. So, in order to reduce your BMI to the normal level, you must set for yourself a target of reducing your weight to 180 lbs in due course of time. Such target is certainly achievable through clinically sound methods.

Now, after having set the above target, I advise you to go in for proper assessment of your total energy requirement per day (i) for maintaining your present weight without any further increase and more importantly (ii) for achieving your targeted weight of 180 lbs gradually over a period of perhaps more than one year.

The following information which will help you to properly plan your diet and exercise.
(i) Total 2982 calories per day are needed by you for maintaining her current weight (235 lbs) without exercise.
(ii) A lower level of total 2482 calories only per day is needed by you for achieving the targeted weight reduction at the rate of 1 lb / week.
(iii) If you put up exercise for 30 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight even with 2834 calories per day.
(iv) If you put up exercise for 60 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight even with 3153 calories per day.

Now, with the above information on hand, you will be able to calculate for yourself the actual requirements carb, fat and protein in daily your diet keeping the following general principle that “approximately 50 percent of a person’s calories should come from carbohydrates, about 30 percent from fats, and approximately 20 percent from protein sources” and fact that “One gram of carbohydrate has about four calories, one gram of fat has about nine calories, and one gram of protein has about four calories.”
I find that the above procedure - though lengthy – is rational and sound. I have followed it myself, for my wife with success and have been recommending it to my friends seeking similar advice.

Please reply if you find it useful. I am unable to provide information on reference web sites as I am not yet an active member of our Group. I will provide the information later.

I will be a happy to receive comments on the above approach from senior members of the Group like Mr.Johnleveritt, Mr.Richards and others.

SRINIVASA RAO
Kakinada / India

J

·
0 Posts
Dear Friend,

Your present is weight 235 lbs. Hence, your present BMI is 32.8 and you fall into obese category. It is recommended that BMI should be less than 24 for any person. So, in order to reduce your BMI to the normal level, you must set for yourself a target of reducing your weight to 180 lbs in due course of time. Such target is certainly achievable through clinically sound methods.

Now, after having set the above target, I advise you to go in for proper assessment of your total energy requirement per day (i) for maintaining your present weight without any further increase and more importantly (ii) for achieving your targeted weight of 180 lbs gradually over a period of perhaps more than one year.

The following information which will help you to properly plan your diet and exercise.
(i) Total 2982 calories per day are needed by you for maintaining her current weight (235 lbs) without exercise.
(ii) A lower level of total 2482 calories only per day is needed by you for achieving the targeted weight reduction at the rate of 1 lb / week.
(iii) If you put up exercise for 30 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight even with 2834 calories per day.
(iv) If you put up exercise for 60 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight even with 3153 calories per day.

Now, with the above information on hand, you will be able to calculate for yourself the actual requirements carb, fat and protein in daily your diet keeping the following general principle that “approximately 50 percent of a person’s calories should come from carbohydrates, about 30 percent from fats, and approximately 20 percent from protein sources” and fact that “One gram of carbohydrate has about four calories, one gram of fat has about nine calories, and one gram of protein has about four calories.”
I find that the above procedure - though lengthy – is rational and sound. I have followed it myself, for my wife with success and have been recommending it to my friends seeking similar advice.

Please reply if you find it useful. I am unable to provide information on reference web sites as I am not yet an active member of our Group. I will provide the information later.

I will be a happy to receive comments on the above approach from senior members of the Group like Mr.Johnleveritt, Mr.Richards and others.

SRINIVASA RAO
Kakinada / India
I don't know where you get your information, but it's wrong. I don't weigh 235 lbs. (I wish I did), I didn't weigh that in high school many moons ago. If I weighed 180 lbs. You couldn't see me when I turned sideways. I'm on a diet of 2000 calories a day, with a low carb diet, my last A1c was 6.1, which is good for a diabetic.

So bottom line since none of what you've said pertains to me, it wasn't of any help. Sorry.

B-T-W, are you a diabetic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lengthy Information and Advice !!! But, Is it useful?

Dear Friend,

SRINIVASA RAO
Kakinada / India

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sorry ... Mr. Mr.Johnleveritt !!

I don't know where you get your information, but it's wrong. I don't weigh 235 lbs. (I wish I did), I didn't weigh that in high school many moons ago. If I weighed 180 lbs. You couldn't see me when I turned sideways. I'm on a diet of 2000 calories a day, with a low carb diet, my last A1c was 6.1, which is good for a diabetic.

So bottom line since none of what you've said pertains to me, it wasn't of any help. Sorry.

B-T-W, are you a diabetic?
I am sorry Mr.Johnleveritt ... I sent the message meant for Mr.Brian to you by mistake. As a senior member of the Group, please let me know your comment on my evaluation of Mr.Brian's case.
I am aged 65 years and have been a diabetic since 1988.

Sorry once again for my mistake.

SRINIVASARAO
KAKINADA, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA

J

·
0 Posts
I am sorry Mr.Johnleveritt ... I sent the message meant for Mr.Brian to you by mistake. As a senior member of the Group, please let me know your comment on my evaluation of Mr.Brian's case.
I am aged 65 years and have been a diabetic since 1988.

Sorry once again for my mistake.

SRINIVASARAO
KAKINADA, ANDHRA PRADESH, INDIA
Apology excepted.

My endo would go nuts over your evaluation (way to many carbs, and calories). I'm not as old as you are, but I've been a diabetic longer. I was diagnosed in 1984. If your regiment is working for you, that's great, but present day endocrinologists wouldn't think it so great, at least not mine. Again to many carbs, and calories.

A lot of medical advise has changed since I was diagnosed, as I'm sure it has since you were, so I listen to my doctor now, and he, and I am very happy.

Last A1c 6.1
Cholesterol 119
Triglyceride 111
HDL 40
LDL 57

I could go on and on, but I won't, lets just say that all of my doctors (5) are very happy.

I see a:

Cardiologist for my heart
Endocrinologist for my diabetes
Pediatrist for diabetic foot care
Ophthalmologist for my eyes, he keeps a good look at my retinas, due to Diabetes
As well as my GP for everything else

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Very good John! I see all those doctors too and I also see a neurologist for EMG's to see if my nerve damage is any worse. It has been stable for the last two years, probably due to my pumping.

J

·
0 Posts
Very good John! I see all those doctors too and I also see a neurologist for EMG's to see if my nerve damage is any worse. It has been stable for the last two years, probably due to my pumping.
Thank you Richard. I have a neurologist that lives just down the street from me, but I haven't seen him yet. My mother did when she was alive (he treated her Alzheimer’s). My wife has seen one too, but I haven't yet.

B-T-W, I didn't add my orthopedist, since I only see him occasionally. By occasionally, I mean every few years. I will be seeing him more often now that I need a revision on my first hip (it's 18 years old).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts