The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I would appreciate your comments regarding Reli-on 70/30 insulin from Walmart. Is it effective ?

Thanks,
Gregg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Gregg,

While I personally have not used it, reading on several D forums indicates it does work, although not as well as 'newer' insulins. Most that have negative posts indicate 'hypo' or low BG problems. A couple of people (with positive experience) split the dose over 3 injections per day, using smaller amounts. My guess is it would not last a full 24 hours for a single injection. Monitoring your BG is (as always) an important consideration.

If you have insurance coverage then Lantus or (for some) Levemir do a better job. In my case Levemir didn't work very well, but the Lantus works great - both are expensive. Here is a link to some different insulin listings
Insulin Chart<br /> > About Insulin > Insulin > Everything Diabetes
Many Wal-Mart stores sell the Reli-on 70/30 (Humilin 70/30) but only in the 10 mL bottles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep the cost of "staying alive" down. In 2012 I will be buying my insulin and generics at Walmart rather than going through my health insurance. The medicare "donut hole" will kill ya!
Thanks again.
Gregg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Gregg
I use Humalog 70/30 and have for years. It works fine for me. I'm a 36 year old women, who weighs 108lbs and I take 15 units in the morning and 12 units at night. The NPH (70%) only last 12 hours and the R (30%) works immediately. Keep in mind I'm not a big eater. I also buy a bottle of the Humalog Regular insulin to take at lunch if I eat to many carbs. The Reli On brand at Walmart costs $24.88 for each one, which lasts me about 6 weeks. R longer depending on use. Hope this helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts