The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have tried to search for topics relating to the subject that I am posting about. I found one topic dating back to 2010 and the info in there is no longer accurate. If there were more, I missed them.

I just recently discovered that I have diabetes and have begun monitoring my blood sugar. I purchased the ReliOn Ultima Meter and wanted to get the solution to check it for accuracy. Unfortunately the people in the pharmacy at Walmart have no idea how to get the solution.

There is very little information regarding it and I was wondering if anyone here has more current and valid information that they would be willing to share.

I know, I bought a Walmart product and along with that come the consequences, but I wanted to keep from investing a fortune if I didn't have to. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Most meters on the market test with the same error variance of 10-20% (those mnf'd this year are lower, but may not be on the shelves yet). The main different I can see in meters, especially the Relion, is what and how many bells and whistles it has. I have in the past used the Relion Prime.

I used the control solution only once. It didn't tell me anything other than the meter was working according to specs. None of the meters can be calibrated. The only way I was able to determine how "accurate" it was, was to test at the same time I got a lab draw.

I have tried several brands of meters. The most important thing is consistency, which is what most of them have. The only exception I found was when the battery was low but not yet signaling the fact. Once the battery was replaced, it became fairly consistent again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have already Googled all different ways and the only place that shows they have the solution is "abbott store" which is off line and that doesn't help me. I have called other numbers that say they handle the solution and they don't. As far as I can tell there is no way to get the solution. Even Walmart can't get it and they produce the meters.

Does anyone know anything?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Using the "solution" to test your meter will net you zilch. Trust me...your meter's fine. I'd concentrate on other concerns.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Using the "solution" to test your meter will net you zilch. Trust me...your meter's fine. I'd concentrate on other concerns.
Sorry OP, it doesn't appear that they sell a testing solution for Relion brand. They used to have it at the Walmart Online, but not any longer.

Lack of testing solution may be why my clinic no longer recommends Relion brand for those on insulin and injectable diabetes meds. :surprise:

I do disagree with Bounty. Testing solutions are valuable to many, but they don't use them because they don't know that they are supposed to get them. Just because you, as one individual, have never seen the need doesn't mean that there is not a need elsewhere. It's not a problem if you use the supply of Accucheck or Bayer strips you get from CVS every 3 months right away because stock is rotated quickly. It IS a problem if you've been storing your stock in the kitchen or bathroom or you are buying from say Ebay. Having this stuff stored in warm conditions ages them faster than the 'expiration' date, so having control solution can help you decide if you have a good batch or a bad batch. I only use the control solution when I get a reading or two that are out of line with what I would expect. Never had a bad batch from Bayer, but they sent me control solution for free when I was having problems with a meter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it would be handy to have to test every so often just to make sure that things were working as they should be. I find it interesting that they put out a meter, strips, lancets and nothing to test the meter with. It's not like it's an obscure meter, hidden away on a shelf where no one can find them, but to have them out there and selling them prominently no less. But you can't test it for accuracy. That makes no sense and lends itself to the question of "is the meter even accurate, considering that it cannot be tested at all".

It just makes no sense.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have and used testing solution for my Relion the issue I have is that it gives you such a wide range to calibrate to. Unless you really suspect that your meter isn't within tolerance, I don't see any benefit in using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is new for me. I just want to make sure that the meter is working properly and is within the range that it is supposed to be in. I don't know all that much about diabetes and all the things that go into it. To put out a product that is supposed to be operating at a specific level and not be able to ensure that it is doesn't make sense.

I wonder if the doctor's offices have solutions that they would be willing to share in order to ensure the meter is working correctly?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I wonder if the doctor's offices have solutions that they would be willing to share in order to ensure the meter is working correctly?
Most of the meters work fine out of the shoot. If the number seems within reason of your lab result, you should be good to go. I always bring my meter to the doctor's office and do a test when they are drawing for the fasting BG reading. It is not always dead-on, but should be within 10 percent of the lab result. Most of the time, it was within 2%, and that was when I was using a Relion meter.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've got 2 Relion Prime meters, a Bayer Countour, 2 Tru2Go and an AgaMatrix. The Relion Primes and AgaMatrix are usually a point or 2, 3 within each other. About the same as if I was to test 3 times with the same meter same finger successively. I wouldn't worry about the accuracy too much. Just because the margin of error is within a certain range does not mean the results you get will be. Generally, I find my most accurate meters to be within a couple of points with my labs when a sample is taken near the same time. I know my meter is accurate when I test several hours after eating, two successive tests an hour apart and get the same exact number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bignick, that is very helpful information. Also, could you explain the last line of your post? I am not familiar with all the abbreviations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have tried to search for topics relating to the subject that I am posting about. I found one topic dating back to 2010 and the info in there is no longer accurate. If there were more, I missed them.

I just recently discovered that I have diabetes and have begun monitoring my blood sugar. I purchased the ReliOn Ultima Meter and wanted to get the solution to check it for accuracy. Unfortunately the people in the pharmacy at Walmart have no idea how to get the solution.

There is very little information regarding it and I was wondering if anyone here has more current and valid information that they would be willing to share.

I know, I bought a Walmart product and along with that come the consequences, but I wanted to keep from investing a fortune if I didn't have to. You get what you pay for.
I got the solution a couple years ago by calling the number listed on the instructions that come with the test strips-855-776-0662

1 - 20 of 24 Posts