The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Target last night and got a Relion Prime meter, some lancets and 3 boxes of 50/$9 strips. I was going to buy 4 boxes but I saw my total and it was a lot of money. Also I guess I didn't need to buy lancets because it came with them. I now have both a One Touch Ultra and the Relion.

I pricked my finger with the One Touch Ultra lancing device (I sincerely doubt it matters which lancing device you use). I put the One Touch strip up to the drop of blood and it measured 92. Then I took the Relion strip up to the same drop of blood (there was still more in the finger) and it said 118.

Repetitions of this at later times have consistently shown a 10-18 difference, with the ReliOn being higher each time.

So I guess the question is how do we know which is wrong (both could be but at least one is)? Does a difference of 18 make a difference? From what I read, ReliOn is not as good as the One Touch Ultra.

I bought the ReliOn because it is a lot cheaper for the strips. I will use both of them. One Touch two or three times a day, and then the ReliOn several times during the day.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
This has been said many times on the forum. Please do not waste your time trying to reconcile two different meters, even if they are from the same manufacturer.

Decide which meter works best from your point of view. Consider things like size of sample, cost of strips, availability of strips, quality of display....

Then using the routine of "eat to the meter", set your standards using that meter. You want to see the pattern over time and the fact that the meter reads a little high, or a little low doesn't matter. Many of us set our upper ceiling below the magic 140 mg/dL to allow for meter variance (among other things).

In your food and readings log, track which meter gave you a particular reading. Do not waste time trying to get them in step with one another. You are unlikely to succeed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meter difference

So really it is the delta (change in readings) that matter more than an individual reading? By delta I don't mean difference between two meters but rather difference between the meter reading say, before eating, and the reading an hour after eating. That is what I will do. Doing eat to the meter will be a lot easier with cheaper strips ;-)

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
No two meters match in readings, even from the same blood drop (which, by the time you get to the 2nd test, evaporation has altered it some already).

If you find that the Relion consistently tests higher than you expect, as compared with the OTU, then you can conceivably accept that a Relion reading is a bit high. However, as I mentioned in your other thread, the variance can be in the strips and one vial will read lower/higher than another one.

You're gonna drive yourse'f CRAZY trying to reconcile different meters and strips.

Give yourself a number of months of testing and it'll sort itself out for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,521 Posts
And not to mention that the first test strip may have contaminated the blood drop with some reagent and affected the the second meter's reading.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We have already discussed meter variance with you.
All meters regardless of brand, meet the standard variation being 20% more or less. Your true level of 100 can be read anywhere from 80 to 120. That's the approved variation. Source
Besides which, unless Target is running a little black market operation on the side that I don't know about, you did NOT buy a ReliOn meter at Target. ReliOn is specific to Walmart, and Walmart only.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I agree with mbuster. If I ever need to check two meters at the same time, I use two different drops of blood from different fingers. Even then, meters & strips from different batches do give differing numbers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And yes there was some discussion about this in a previous item but I thought I should enter a new item specifically for this, as a lot of people might not be following the other one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am now a proud owner of four deferent meters (see the problem here? :) ). Yesterday I had my blood sugar tested at the office, so award goes to Freestyle. It was within 3 points. Truetest was 21 points lower, relion was 25 points higher, and Troutouch (it's my new one they gave me) was 13 points higher. Now one could argue the accuracy of the doc's device. It looked impressive though. :)

So here is what I decided. I will keep using Freestyle in the quantity I can afford. But I will use truetest for frequent tests and tack on about 20 points. I feel better seeing a lower number and then going up, versus seeing higher and then coming down. At least I don't get that jolt in my heart. I know it makes no sense. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Prime meter. The last three doctors visits I have taken my meter along and tested at the same time as the blood was drawn for the lab. Readings have been pretty close. (+- 15). Your results may vary

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Glad you found one you can trust. My Relion is very close to my Labtec results, tested nearly back to back a few times. Your TrueTest, test confirms my findings that they read low. I'd rather a meter read higher than lower for my testing purposes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Relion Prime meters, and then got a FreeStyle Freedom Lite. I then spent a day testing with both whenever I tested, and the Relion was consistently about 15 points higher.

But I didn't know if the Relion was high, or the FreeStyle was low, so went online to read reviews of both meters. Every review I read on the Relion said it tends to run high.

But I agree with the others... the readings any meter gives you, are important relevant to your other readings from the same meter over time... up or down.

That's called "delta"? Didn't know that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts