The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My diabetes nurse-counselor changed my bolusing procedure so that (theoretically) I can have more carbs a day than my usual goal of less than 30g ... if I calculate the number of carbs beforehand.

Nice, but it simply doesn't work for me.

I got diagnosed right in the middle of a whole series of eating-out obligations. Anyone notice that, even when you "know" what you're ordering, there's a real tendency to drench the meat, the veggies, and even the "undressed" salad greens, in sweet stuff? (Maybe it's a local thing.)

Being a savory food lover, I've always griped about that. But nowadays, of course, it's a truly serious issue. Outside of a precious few eateries, I have no way to measure carbs before a meal. And eateries really hate it when you sit there and sip water alone -- don't blame them a bit, and frankly, I'd rather eat something anyway -- but still!

I'm a math idiot to begin with. Adding unknown variables to the equations turns every dining experience into a math exam for which I
failed to prepare.

Having ordered yet another undressed salad -- only to find I don't dare touch it -- an inquiring mind needs to know:

:confused: How do you all keep blood pressure low and social/volunteer activities, well, active? Or am I asking for an impossibility? :confused:

Many thanks for any wisdom you can provide.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My husband and I actually eat out a lot. You would be surprised how many restaurants there are with nutritional information on line. I just check online before I go out and get an idea of what I am going to order. I also purchased a small carb counting book from CalorieKing that has many restaurants and restaurant type food in it with carb counts. I dont leave home without it! I also have no problem usually when I tell them to put sauces on the side and special requests like that.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have not eaten out in almost 2 years (saves us money, anyhow!) ... since I now have novolog, I might try it, but considering how hard it was for me to bolus for a BEER, the other night ... I dunno. :confused:

But yes, there is a LOT of carbs in restaurant food. They want you loaded and feeling happy.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I've found restaurants accommodating and servers anxious to help with information and requests to the chef. Depending on the restaurant, they will cook things differently when asked, and go out of their way in general.

I think people do want to be helpful, and sometimes I tell them the reason - that I'm diabetic and it's really important. I've yet to encounter a problem, but then I've not been at this very long!

At one restaurant the server really went out of her way and helped create a perfect off-the-menu meal to end all meals. I've been back a couple of times and she always makes a point to come to the table and say hello, and even told our server about us. He hung out, chatted, and became just as eager to navigate the menu. It's now my favorite restaurant.

As for dinners at friends homes, I won't be doing a lot of that until I get back home to CA in a couple of months, but know they'll understand. As for acquaintances, I plan to distract and quickly toss the dessert into the nearest potted plant.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow ... Thanks!

My husband and I actually eat out a lot. You would be surprised how many restaurants there are with nutritional information on line. I just check online before I go out and get an idea of what I am going to order. I also purchased a small carb counting book from CalorieKing that has many restaurants and restaurant type food in it with carb counts. I dont leave home without it! I also have no problem usually when I tell them to put sauces on the side and special requests like that.
Sometimes we don't know where we're going in advance, or it changes while we're out. I don't have a mobile internet thingy ... yet. (Netbooks don't count.)

Sounds like that CalorieKing book could be my salvation! Running to the site right now. Many thanks! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Usually when we go out, I order off the menu. I will order steak or chicken grilled or sauted in butter- no sauces or sugar on it. Make sure you order your veggies steamed or grilled, I have heard they add sugar sometimes. If pasta, rice or potatoes comes with a meal have them sub in veggies instead. Most restaurants are very accomodating and this way you avoid the hidden carbs in sauces. We were at a wedding last summer and they served the salad with the dressing already on it. I asked the waiter if there was sugar in it, he went in the kitchen and asked the chef and came back and said yes, so he brought me a plain salad with a cruet of oil and vinegar.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sometimes we don't know where we're going in advance, or it changes while we're out. I don't have a mobile internet thingy ... yet. (Netbooks don't count.)

Sounds like that CalorieKing book could be my salvation! Running to the site right now. Many thanks! :D
Yes, the CalorieKing book is vital for eating out! I keep one on me at all times :) You can also get it at Barnes and Noble.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not eaten out in almost 2 years (saves us money, anyhow!) ... since I now have novolog, I might try it, but considering how hard it was for me to bolus for a BEER, the other night ... I dunno. :confused:

But yes, there is a LOT of carbs in restaurant food. They want you loaded and feeling happy.
Sorry about the beer thing. I've got a 6-pack of Fat Tire in the fridge, and I'm afraid to even look at it!

We're cutting down on a lot of stuff too.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've found restaurants accommodating and servers anxious to help with information and requests to the chef. Depending on the restaurant, they will cook things differently when asked, and go out of their way in general.

I think people do want to be helpful, and sometimes I tell them the reason - that I'm diabetic and it's really important. I've yet to encounter a problem, but then I've not been at this very long!

At one restaurant the server really went out of her way and helped create a perfect off-the-menu meal to end all meals. I've been back a couple of times and she always makes a point to come to the table and say hello, and even told our server about us. He hung out, chatted, and became just as eager to navigate the menu. It's now my favorite restaurant.

As for dinners at friends homes, I won't be doing a lot of that until I get back home to CA in a couple of months, but know they'll understand. As for acquaintances, I plan to distract and quickly toss the dessert into the nearest potted plant.
I've never wanted to be The Customer With All The Questions, but I'll work on non-obnoxious ways to do that.

Maybe calling ahead, when possible, would be one way?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the CalorieKing book is vital for eating out! I keep one on me at all times :) You can also get it at Barnes and Noble.

Cheers,

Jeremy
Just ordered!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually when we go out, I order off the menu. I will order steak or chicken grilled or sauted in butter- no sauces or sugar on it. Make sure you order your veggies steamed or grilled, I have heard they add sugar sometimes. If pasta, rice or potatoes comes with a meal have them sub in veggies instead. Most restaurants are very accomodating and this way you avoid the hidden carbs in sauces. We were at a wedding last summer and they served the salad with the dressing already on it. I asked the waiter if there was sugar in it, he went in the kitchen and asked the chef and came back and said yes, so he brought me a plain salad with a cruet of oil and vinegar.
I'll have to try to do that. Am too accustomed to just accepting whatever's served, as long as it bears a strong resemblance to what I actually ordered.

I can think of a couple of places that would do that without delaying everyone else's meal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just ordered!
I hope you find it helps...I know I would be lost without it. I find most places are willing to substitute stuff with no problem. Hubby and I actually ate out last night . I had a salad first with oil and vinegar dressing, then I ordered the chicken and swiss. It is a grilled chicken breast topped with swiss cheese and onions. It comes with rice pilaf and a veggie...but I just had them keep the rice and doubled up on that yummy steamed broccoli with butter....drool :) (and hubby is always happy to relieve me of my dinner roll)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pat .. it seems the consensus is, I've gotta speak up more.

(Plus, learning how to count carbs better wouldn't hurt!)

Looking forward to that book! Dragging my tent to the mailbox ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts