The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with retinopathy after 16 years with type one ....I didn't go to my annual check up last year and have been told that I have exudates and annurisms close to my Macaula in both eyes no laser just yet...anyone had retinopathy so soon or laser treatment...I also have the start of cataracts in both eyes I am a spritely 44 year old is this usual?

Sent from my Nexus One using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have been a Type 1 diabetic for just over a year and have very good control, not bragging just saying. ;) However, at my last check-up I was diagnosed with mild retinopathy myself. I go back in a few weeks to get another check-up and see where we go from here. Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you're here.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
You should be able to keep the retinopathy from progressing as much or as fast by getting and keeping your bg as close to normal as possible.

It is important to keep up with your eye appointments and do what the doc says. My inlaws have both had a few laser eye surgeries and they said there was no pain involved.

Here is a link with lots of info. about diabetic retinopathy.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No experience with retinopathy, but I just wanted to say I love your username! As a scientist I recognized it immediately, though I'm sure there are quite a few people around here who need no help naming that particular molecule. ;)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Question: Do non-diabetics get retinopathy?

Perhaps it is not directly related to diabetes in all cases?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think they do unless there is non diabetic retinopathy but i believe retinopathy is due to to chronic elevated bg levels affecting the very fine vessels of the retina. Frequent hypos can also affect the progression of retinopathy according to my eye consultant

Sent from my Nexus One using Diabetes

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quick check of Wikipedia found a few other causes:

Causes of retinopathy are varied:

diabetes - diabetic retinopathy[citation needed]
arterial hypertension - hypertensive retinopathy[citation needed]
prematurity of the newborn - retinopathy of prematurity (ROP)[citation needed]
sickle cell disease[citation needed]
ciliopathy[1]
direct sunlight exposure - solar retinopathy[citation needed]
retinal vein or artery occlusion[citation needed]
pheochromocytoma [2]
Hyperviscosity-related retinopathy as seen in disorders which cause paraproteinemia

Many types of retinopathy are progressive and may result in blindness or severe vision loss or impairment, particularly if the macula becomes affected.[citation needed]

Retinopathy is diagnosed by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist during ophthalmoscopy. Treatment depends on the cause of the disease.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
My ophthalmologist began seeing spots of retinopathy in my eyes several years ago. It was surprising to me since I had been type 1 for more than 60 years at that time, with no complications. I had A1c's below 6.0 but the spots were still there. In 2007 I started using an insulin pump, which resulted in my having fewer highs and lows. The highs and lows had been compensating for each other and the average blood sugar was therefore good, but the stress to my body caused by the unstable numbers resulted in retinopathy. The pump gave me more stable control, and the spots disappeared. I never had any laser treatment, and have not had the problem since early 2007.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts