The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am type 2 diabetic for last 10 years. I have been taking following medicines.
Diapride 1 mg
Metformin 2000 mg
I am following LCHF but from last few days I am seeing that my sugar is not coming below 200. It’s staying between 200 to 400 that too I am not taking any carbs. I have a fatty liver, can that be culprit of this. First time in my diabetes journey I am clueless as nothing is working. Even exercise is not working which has always worked for me.

Please suggest what to do. I have already taken appointment of doctor. Any other suggestions or similar experiences would help. Thanks

Regards
Varun

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Hi, Varun.

Seeing the doctor is absolutely your best bet. However, when numbers change this quickly, it's worth reviewing a few things:
  • Are you feeling well? No illnesses or infections or muscle/bone injuries? Big sources of stress? Anything your body is fighting can raise blood glucose levels.
  • Did the higher numbers appear when you started using a new batch of strips for your meter -- or a new meter? Someone on this board recently had very high blood glucose numbers which became more typical when they opened another package of strips and used those.
  • Any changes in when you measure your blood glucose or the soap you use to clean before testing? Are the batteries in your meter fresh (old batteries can cause really unpredictable numbers)?

Let's review these and see if maybe it's something fairly easy to remedy.

Reactions: varun

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Welcome back, sorry for the reason.

The advise itissteve gave is dead on. Something to consider if not one of the above, the diapride (glimepiride) forces the pancreas to produce more insulin. In the event the pancreas becomes incapable of producing enough, that drug, actually that class of drugs (sulfonylurea drugs) will no longer work and your doctor should put you on something else. If this is the case then you should ask him about using insulin.

It sounds like this came on quickly, so hopefully it is just a meter/strips issue giving you bad readings and nothing more.

Reactions: varun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all

I am type 2 diabetic for last 10 years. I have been taking following medicines.
Diapride 1 mg
Metformin 2000 mg
I am following LCHF but from last few days I am seeing that my sugar is not coming below 200. It’s staying between 200 to 400 that too I am not taking any carbs. I have a fatty liver, can that be culprit of this. First time in my diabetes journey I am clueless as nothing is working. Even exercise is not working which has always worked for me.

Please suggest what to do. I have already taken appointment of doctor. Any other suggestions or similar experiences would help. Thanks

Regards
Varun
Dear Varun,
I have been a diabetic since 2004 and from 2004 until 2014 I controlled it with diet and exercise. In 2014 I went on Metformin and started taking 1000 milligrams. About 2018 it was getting uncontrollable so the doctor upped it to 2000 daily. My A1c in October was 7.8. On or around October 2020 I started a intermittent diet plan. My last A1c reading was April 7 and it was 6.6. Now, I am a retired person and I do not know what your situation is, but here is my routine. I get up whenever. I take my glucose reading. I have 12 ounces of water and a cup of green tea. And then about 1/2 hour later I have 2 cups of coffee. At about 10:30 I have 2 cups of green tea. None of any of these drinks breaks my fast. At about 1 p.m. I have my brunch. Some days it consists of a smoothie with fruit and greens. Yesterday my eating "window" was from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. I am never hungry during the fasting times, but I do get hungry sometimes during my eating window. Today my glucose reading was 121. And I have reduced my Metformin to 1000 mg daily. I rarely get hungry after my eating window, but not so hungry that I cannot control it. I cannot recommend intermittent fasting too much. It is a wonderful way to lower your numbers. There is plenty of information on the internet about this diet. I choose to fast 20 hours, but in the beginning I was fasting about 17 hours and my numbers were getting better and better. I was rarely over 150, and most of the time I was around 130-140. I noticed that when I shorten the eating window my numbers are better. My husband and I rarely eat out so it was easy for me to do. And if I may offer some advice, if you have to go to a wedding or another social function don't get crazy. The good thing about fasting is if you wish to skip a day it's okay. You start again the very next day. I wish you good luck. Another good thing is you can eat whatever you wish. I try to eat healthy with very little processed foods coming into my house. Lots of fruits and vegetables and not too much meat.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
We've had a few people on this site post positive experiences with intermittent fasting. Definitely worth a try if you can make it work (personally, I haven't been able to).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts