The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am truely wondering if there are any Doctors working to cure diabetes or are they all on the dole of the pharmaceutical companies. If there were any doctors working for a cure you would expect to see specialty clinics somewhere. There should be dietary programs Freely available from all of this work that has been going on.

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Hi, Eldred! Welcome back.

It is kinda hard to look at the millions of dollars spent on diabetes research and diabetes care and diabetes products and wonder if there's been any progress. We know more about the condition all the time, so there has been progress. But it's pretty complex illness and -- apparently so far -- nothing that can be modeled repeatedly in a lab so we can "fix it".

However, there is a dietary program that is freely available that can help you manage your blood glucose levels. That's following a low-carbohydrate or even a ketogenic eating plan. Both cut way down on the carbohydrates recommended in the American Diabetes Association eating plan because, well, the body doesn't need that many carbohydrates and our bodies in particular don't manage them well.

Many of us on this site manage our (Type 2) diabetes just with low-carb eating and exercise. Some folks do have to take medication on top of that, but far less than they would have to ordinarily. In fact, in recent years, even the ADA has said that a low-carbohydrate eating plan is a practical alternative for some diabetics. Is that an idea that appeals to you?

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hello Eldred,

There is a lot of research going on and unfortunately there hasn't been a giant step toward a cure yet. There is talk that they are getting closer to better understanding how to restore insulin production in mice, turning glucagon producing cells into insulin producing cells. They are hoping they can reproduce the effects in humans with type 1, without the bodies immune system attacking the new cells. They say they are still a long way away from trying that. It does seem like there has been a lot more focus on creating more drugs though for type 2.

I'm not expecting to see a "cure" in my lifetime, but I can always hope. Until then, I'll be content working on addressing keeping my BG as low as I can by eliminating the source of where it comes from and keep minimizing carbohydrates. I'm a believer in that diabetes doesn't have to come with complications unless I let it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts