The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! It's been a long time since I've been on this site, but the past few years have been rough on my control and I'm back here now to hopefully keep up with good advice and new knowledge, and also for accountability purposes.

Diagnosed with T2 back in 2003, gained good control with weight loss and exercise and the evil, evil Actos, then discovered low carb eating, ditched the Actos and again had good control for a few years. But somewhere along the road I got lazy about diet and carbs and gained weight and of course the numbers climbed.

About 6 months ago, upon retirement, I decided to take charge of my health and since then have made a lot of improvements, but there is room for more! It would be nice to have some company during this struggle to regain control. I managed to bring my A1c down from 9.2 to 6.4 in those six months and lost 25 pounds, but it's been a lonely journey and support and accountability would be helpful.

I see this forum is a lot less lively than it used to be but am hoping to find like-minded friends here who are looking for company on the path to better health.

·
Administrator
2,144 Posts
Welcome back, fangirl!

The forums are slower than they used to be; not sure why. But there are some wonderful people here to offer support. And we've noticed an influx lately of past members who, I guess, were reminded of some changes to the forum in recent emails and have come back to visit. I hope we get busier!

For "accounting" purposes you might want to consider using two long-running threads here:

What Was Your Fasting Blood Sugar This Morning? and
What Is Your Current Blood Glucose Reading?

Even just knowing you'll be reporting the numbers later can provide a push to do (or not do!) some things. And please feel free to post questions or issues you're encountering.

·
Super Moderator
10,015 Posts
Hi fangirl, welcome back. We all slip up on occasion and get lax on our diabetes, but it doesn't ever get lax on us. Glad you made it proactively back.

There are several of us new to retirement, so now we'll have more in common than just our diabetes.

Reactions: fangirl and etherea

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Welcome back, fangirl. I was gone for a while, but came back for the same reasons. I retired at the end of last year so like mbuster said we have more in common than our diabetes. I did ok for a while, but I tried to pretend that I didn't have diabetes. Even though I'm back on track now it's taking my numbers a while to catch up with my mind. They're all over the place even when I "behave".
I look forward to your posts--glad you're back!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh gosh, yes, tell me about slipping up! I had a record-breaking slipup but am back on track and hopefully for good. Nondiabetics just don't get how much discipline it takes to stay on a healthy track.

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. And isn't retirement just the best?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts