The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if the Glucometer strips can be reused. I know that the lancets can but once there is blood on the strips, i think they are deleted.
Any ideas? At $1.00 a shot they are kind of pricey.:confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The manufacturer of my meter (Abbot, I think) has a program where I only have to pay $15 for 100 strips per month. I've seen a commercial from another manufacturer that has a similar program. You may check into that kind of thing. My doctor (she's really a PA) instructed me not to reuse the lancets; they become dull with use. As a substance abuse counselor, I was trained that reusing any type of needle is dangerous; even if it's your own blood, bacteria collects on it once it's been used and unprotected.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Wouldn't that be a neat invention, reusable strips. The strip industry is a huge business and they really do rip us off. I remember my first year I did buy my strips from the pharmacy at $110 per box. I then discovered online pharmacies which sell the exact same strips for $40-$60 per 100. My insurance doesn't cover strip costs so I am forced to go online. The Relion from Walmart is by far the cheapest.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wouldn't that be a neat invention, reusable strips. The strip industry is a huge business and they really do rip us off. I remember my first year I did buy my strips from the pharmacy at $110 per box. I then discovered online pharmacies which sell the exact same strips for $40-$60 per 100. My insurance doesn't cover strip costs so I am forced to go online. The Relion from Walmart is by far the cheapest.
There's also Ebay. I've seen boxes of 100 with a great expiration date (about a year) and the winning bid was 20 bucks. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are not reusable. I switched to the ReliOn meter - those strips are about 40¢ each.
Thank you for the tip Shanny. I'll look into the variety of meters at our pharmacy. I am on "tight control" so i use the strips 3-4 x per day; but we are covered by insurance so it's not so bad for us. I think for poor people the drug companies might collaborate on this expense.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Horrified that strips are so expensive over there Strips here are subsidised by NDSS and cost 14.20 for a box of 100 and those on benefits/low incomes they are around 2.00 mark. I used to reuse my syringes as they were expensive and diabetic educator said it was ok as long as kept in packet and stored in fridge!! How times have changed!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Horrified that strips are so expensive over there Strips here are subsidised by NDSS and cost 14.20 for a box of 100 and those on benefits/low incomes they are around 2.00 mark. I used to reuse my syringes as they were expensive and diabetic educator said it was ok as long as kept in packet and stored in fridge!! How times have changed!!!
Damn, you guys are lucky, although I hear your food is extremely expensive there.

Here, a box of 100 Contour's goes for $109.00 at Target. It's disgusting how little our government cares about us. :mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Damn, you guys are lucky, although I hear your food is extremely expensive there.

Here, a box of 100 Contour's goes for $109.00 at Target. It's disgusting how little our government cares about us. :mad:
OUICH!!!! Lancets aren't subsidised here as yet around $15 to $20 for box of drums (6) Do what we did partition government to subsidise them along with syringes pens and needles and consumables for pumps!!!! We have to get from either chemist or diabetes Australia, as not available in department stores here. Yes sadly our foods is expensive but we grow our own basic vegies and fruit and the flood water didn't get high enough to wipe out the vegie patch:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
OUICH!!!! Lancets aren't subsidised here as yet around $15 to $20 for box of drums (6) Do what we did partition government to subsidise them along with syringes pens and needles and consumables for pumps!!!! We have to get from either chemist or diabetes Australia, as not available in department stores here. Yes sadly our foods is expensive but we grow our own basic vegies and fruit and the flood water didn't get high enough to wipe out the vegie patch:)
Ha! You funny Aussie you! This is America, our government uses our petitions to wipe their you-know-whatties! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use Freestyle Lite by Abbott and 100 test strips are $15 because of the program. I tried the Relion meter from Wal- Mart and did not like it. The readings for me where bad. I tested it once it was 79 than 30 seconds later it was 119. Also check your local pharmacies for test strips. I have one that charges only what Medicare will pay for. I think it is $39.00 per 50. You also try Rx Outreach. They will give you a free meter every year and 100 strips are $30.00 including shipping. It takes about 10 days to get them.I hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts