The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from a number of people that they reuse their lancets more than one time. At least one person claimed they used the same one for months at a time. My sister was recently told she is prediabetic and has started to check her blood sugars at my insistence. She mentioned to the pharmacist what I told her about resuing lancets and he was shocked. He mentioned that sepsis is a real danger even though the same person is using the lancet. He claimed it's still a dirty needle. That makes sense so now I'm thinking I should change my lancet each time. It only takes a few seconds if there is a danger. What's the consensus out there?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The only time I ever change my lancet is when I test someone else - one of the kids or DH. Then I also put in a new one for myself when we've finish testing everyone else. Otherwise it's just one more unnecessary step in my opinion . . . I think if I make testing too long an ordeal or too big a hassle, I'll find myself putting it off, even when I know I need to test.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm with Shanny.. I only change it if someone else is getting tested.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have 6 lancing devices and every morning I put new lancets in them. I like to use a fresh lancet to test. Just something I want to do. Once I use the lancing device, I put it in a black make-up bag and that is how I know not to use the lancet again.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I change it every once in a while. Usually after a reading that I don't like the results of though lol

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep, me, too. I RARELY change them.

Speaking of which, I noticed I am on the last freebie pen needle the CDE gave me with my sample pen ... 6 months ago. She had given me what, 8 or 10? If you handle them carefully you do not to re-use those, either (you have to purge the pen each time you change needles, it wastes insulin).

No sepsis here, either.

As regards sepsis, please be sure to keep your feet clean and fungus-free!!! My husband got MRSA or erysepalis or somethign that #@$~2 near killed him, due to a skin breach from a fungal infection.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I change mine when they seem to get dull and hurt more. I think it was about every ten times. That is when I was testing every day, now that I only test twice a week I change them every other week.

G

·
I used to change my lancet each time when I first got into all this. 17 months into this and I'm changing my lancet each time I replace a strip drum in my Compact Plus.

Changing your lancet each time is good advice...on the whole.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I change my lancet about once per week. No problems so far.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I change my lancet each time. They cost me almost nothing and it makes me feel a little safer. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use mine for about 7 to 10 "sticks" then it seems to get dull and hurt more, so I use a new one. I haven't heard of anyone getting an infection by reusing lancets and most of my family is diabetic (type 2). I am careful and wash my hands before sticking and never use my supplies to test anyone else.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well, they say to change it every time. I have to admit, I dont. I havent for years. I try to remember to change it everytime I open a new container of strips. I have never had an issue with infection. When I was taking daily injections of insulin there were a few times I was in a public place and injected right through my clothing. Yeah I know...not very sterile...but again, I never has any issues with it. So I guess if I can survive those horrible examples, reusing a lancet a few times suddenly doesnt seem so bad :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think if there was a danger of sepsis we would all be dead. I change mine about once a month if I remember or about every 100 tests.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They are inexpensive enough and easy enough to change. I just put a new one on each morning. I'm not worried about infection, I don't use alcohol before or after on my finger either.

G

·
I noticed in your signature that you chose to proudly emphasize that your ReliOn Confirm (Only needs 3 microliters of blood!) I'm curious...how do you measure the volume of the blood droplet on your finger? I mean, how does one know when they have "3 microliters" of blood on their finger, opposed to "2" microliters, or "4" microliters? I ask because I've never known anyone that had the capacity to measure the volume of a blood droplet on their finger.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed in your signature that you chose to proudly emphasize that your ReliOn Confirm (Only needs 3 microliters of blood!) I'm curious...how do you measure the volume of the blood droplet on your finger? I mean, how does one know when they have "3 microliters" of blood on their finger, opposed to "2" microliters, or "4" microliters? I ask because I've never known anyone that had the capacity to measure the volume of a blood droplet on their finger.
Well, experience? According to their marketing literature the strip only requires 3 µL. Sometimes I have it just perfect and there's next to no blood left on my finger. Of course, that doesn't happen everytime. LOL :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, they say to change it every time. I have to admit, I dont. I havent for years. I try to remember to change it everytime I open a new container of strips. I have never had an issue with infection. When I was taking daily injections of insulin there were a few times I was in a public place and injected right through my clothing. Yeah I know...not very sterile...but again, I never has any issues with it. So I guess if I can survive those horrible examples, reusing a lancet a few times suddenly doesnt seem so bad :)
This is exactly what I do, and what Dr Bernstein recommends. He has been a type I for a lot of years and he specializes in treating diabetics. He says that he doesn't change the lancet until it gets dull, and he mentions that to his patients. Neither he nor his patients have ever had an infection from doing that.

I just change them about every 6 months, but I don't do as much testing as a lot of the people here.

He also mentioned that he injects through his clothes too, in situations like a restaurant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts