The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one seems for real. It isn't easy, but it's simple. Limit calories to 600 a day for 2 months. It didn't work for everyone, but did work for some people who had type 2 for years.

Here is the link.

Press Releases - Press Office - Newcastle University

How enthusiastic are you feeling? :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I still believe they'd have the same 'reversal' if people ate 1500+ calories a day, but the same amount of carbohydrate. (Give them enough to meet their daily metabolic requirements without starving.)

... and, they'd be able to stay on it, and keep the symptoms at bay, because they'd not be starving.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
930 Posts
in that they had diabetes for only a few years and i have been diabetic for more than 13 years, this seems a bit irrelevant to my situation.
from what i read it is hard to get the newly diagnosed diabetic to take their oral medication, let alone go on a tortuous 600 calorie diet so is this relevant to the average person that can not be incarcerated?
sounds like fun for the experimenters thought, controlling other human beings for several weeks.

it would be interesting to know what their carbohydrate to insulin ratio was but in that they were not on insulin then that is not likely.

my primary objective at 69 years is to avoid cardiovascular disease, high blood sugar is secondary to me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Soooooo how long where they "reversed" ? after 2 months they had a ~30% failure rate, how about 6 months, 6 years. Its not a cure or reversal

its diet CONTROLLED

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On the Blood Sugar 101 blog this week, Jenny has a good review of these studies and what they really mean

Diabetes Update

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here is the PDF of the full article: Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol...

I agree that the study shows some interesting findings that are worthy of follow-up but I'm more concerned about the way this study has been picked up by the media and I fear the backlash against "overweight Type 2s... who obviously brought it all on themselves".

The lead researcher has not helped with his comments...
"We used the 600-calorie diet to test a hypothesis. What I can tell you definitively is that if people lose substantial weight by normal means, they will lose their diabetes," says study head Roy Taylor,MD, director of the Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre at Newcastle University in England. source
...I just know it is gong to cause trouble for us.

Reactions: lia and SufeeGuy

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Here is the PDF of the full article: Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol...

I agree that the study shows some interesting findings that are worthy of follow-up but I'm more concerned about the way this study has been picked up by the media and I fear the backlash against "overweight Type 2s... who obviously brought it all on themselves".

The lead researcher has not helped with his comments... ...I just know it is gong to cause trouble for us.
Yup. For example, further delaying serious research into at least some (I suspect, most) cases of obesity as resulting from a metabolic -- not a behavioral -- disorder(s). A continuation of the grave disservice being done to the non-diabetic obese population as well.

Reactions: SufeeGuy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah - an 11 person study is now touted as scientific research. Nice sample size!

Oh wait - I have a study for you - how about thousands of people on forums such as these who have discovered that low carb is the answer.

The question of reversal is a strange one in a way. So lets say that we are able to "reverse" our diabetes using this 600-calorie diet, or any other way. What do we do then? Should we start binging on carbs again, and have the reversal reversed?

The point is that eating this way is just healthier in general. If my diabetes somehow got magically reversed tomorrow, while I might then occasionally indulge in some ice cream or my favorite pudding - I will largely continue to eat the way I do now.

I don't know if I am making sense :)

Thanks

S.

Reactions: fgummett

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're making VERY good sense, Sufee!

Yeah - an 11 person study is now touted as scientific research. Nice sample size!

Oh wait - I have a study for you - how about thousands of people on forums such as these who have discovered that low carb is the answer.

The question of reversal is a strange one in a way. So lets say that we are able to "reverse" our diabetes using this 600-calorie diet, or any other way. What do we do then? Should we start binging on carbs again, and have the reversal reversed?

The point is that eating this way is just healthier in general. If my diabetes somehow got magically reversed tomorrow, while I might then occasionally indulge in some ice cream or my favorite pudding - I will largely continue to eat the way I do now.

I don't know if I am making sense :)

Thanks

S.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It makes a great deal of sense! I have no interest in returning to the way I used to eat and am actively encouraging my 20 year old University Student Son to adopt a diet of mainly real whole foods -- avoiding processed/packaged, refined and concentrated carbs. Sure he still has occasional night of beer and pizza with friends but that is not his daily staple.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for that pdf link. It had a lot of detail.

it would be interesting to know what their carbohydrate to insulin ratio was but in that they were not on insulin then that is not likely.

my primary objective at 69 years is to avoid cardiovascular disease, high blood sugar is secondary to me.
This was one of the details I was interested in too. The pdf listed the selection process, and people on insulin were not invited.

I thought that keeping sugars as close to normal was the best way to avoid the heart and circulation problems? Hypoglycemia does put your risk of death up for a few days. Read that awhile ago, and don't remember all the details.

·
Registered
930 Posts
lia

lia:

my personal view is that most type 2 diabetics die of "heart disease" which is mostly caused by high insulin levels, and most methods of controlling blood sugar, save low carbing, increase one's insulin levels.

ColaJim

Thank you for that pdf link. It had a lot of detail.

This was one of the details I was interested in too. The pdf listed the selection process, and people on insulin were not invited.

I thought that keeping sugars as close to normal was the best way to avoid the heart and circulation problems? Hypoglycemia does put your risk of death up for a few days. Read that awhile ago, and don't remember all the details.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The university has added some extra material on its website at Reversing Type 2 Diabetes - Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre - Newcastle University

these are :
FAQs by Professor Taylor
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2study.pdf

info for doctors
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/InformationfordoctorsRT.pdf

the diet and veg recipes
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

the theory/theoretical background on which the trial was based
http://www.springerlink.com/content/j088876181l3qu55/fulltext.pdf

I'm working my way through them all but the more I read, the more this Doctor reveals his own preconceptions: he talks about fois gras as a perfect model for fatty liver and how farmers have honed this skill over at least 2,500 years. He explains how the ducks and geese are allowed increasing access to "high-carbohydrate" feed during a 12 week period. And how this "first phase... gives all the necessary clues to the genesis of fatty liver in man. Prolonged intake of energy in excess of requirement..."

He then goes on to describe how high levels of insulin in the portal (liver) system rapidly increases fat deposition. Again he sees "excess energy intake" as the cause of high levels of insulin... with no regard for the effect that different macronutrients may have on insulin.

The answers are right there in front of him and yet he is stuck in the "calories in minus calories out" rut.

I noted in his FAQs for patients asking about this intervention he suggests ways to eat less include: "Recognise that the sensation of hunger is a sign of success, not a signal to eat" and "Enjoy that hunger. Celebrate with a glass of water. Maybe fizzy water"

Reactions: smorgan and foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
He sounds almost sadistic there, doesn't he ...

Especially when he overlooks his own clues to the value of low-carbing like that!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sadist is right! For those who believe it is all a matter of will-power I'd suggest they sit at the bottom of a deep swimming pool to test how long their "will-power" can allow them to "recognise and enjoy that the pressure on their lungs is a sign of success, not a signal to breathe" :mad:

Reactions: moon and Jen

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It makes a great deal of sense! I have no interest in returning to the way I used to eat and am actively encouraging my 20 year old University Student Son to adopt a diet of mainly real whole foods -- avoiding processed/packaged, refined and concentrated carbs. Sure he still has occasional night of beer and pizza with friends but that is not his daily staple.
Hey! The same with me... my son is 21 and also in school. I encouraged him but didn't nag, and ever since he's seen my success in losing weight and being healthier, he's started taking up a better diet and moderate exercise. It's nice to have a family member to cycle with :)

Usually our kids adopt our bad habits and ignore the good ones, LOL. It's nice when they actually take some good advice, isn't it?

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: fgummett

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just how much is this new "revelation" really much different from this old remedy for diabetes? Not much I would think.

"Citric acid reacts with fatty acids to produce energy. As long as you have fatty deposits, you can easily live on lemon juice. This is not fanciful as basically all of our food is internally converted into citric acid before it is converted into energy. However, to convert citric acid completely into energy, it needs to react with the breakdown products of fatty acids, see The Cellular Energy Metabolism for a diagram of this process. The late Dr Carey Reams reputedly cured thousands of diabetics of both types with a 3-week lemon juice fast that cleared the body of unhealthy fat deposits. Every hour or ten times daily patients would drink a glassful with one part of lemon juice and 9 parts of water, followed after 3 weeks by an allergy-tested natural diet. For more information on restoring the blood circulation system to good health also see Cardiovascular Disease and the Cholesterol Saga."

REF: Diseases - Diabetes - Holistic Diabetes TReatment

ColaJim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts