The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1992 I was rushed to a hospital suffering from a heart attack (MI) and among a number of tests was a test for diabetes which revealed that I had probably been a long term undiagnosed diabetic. Apart from getting a bag full of pills I was also instructed on how to inject insulin twice a day and advised that I would have to do that for the rest of my life.So for the next 14 years I managed my own insulin intake (units taken) and had reasonable success in staying near the 7% mark.By late 2005 I decided on a different strategy based on my BMI and weight long before my heart attack when I was very healthy, played tennis, ran half marathons and much more, this review of the past led me to believe that my body was operating outside my bodies design limits. Weight was 189lbs and BMI 29.8.
In late 2005 I started on my journey of eating less and exercising more and critically making more blood sugar measurements, which allowed to to recognise that certain food types elevated my BS levels higher and for longer , and consequently eliminated them from my diet. At this stage I was deliberately reducing my insulin intake in small steps and if my BS level before meals (two hours after I had last eaten ) came out above seven then I delayed eating until my next meal was due.Very quickly my insulin intake levels kept dropping and my blood sugar stabilty was greatly improved. I could project at this stage that getting to a zero insulin intake was a definite possibility, which infact happened in roughly six months.So in six months I had come from 90 units a day to zero which I certainly had not been told that this was possible. The specific food that I eliminated was potatoes, bread, rice, bran flakes that belong to a family of carbohydrates (starchy). Now 35 months later still not taking any insulin or other diabetic medication my HbA1C has ranged from 5.8 to 6.4 my weight has dropped by 21lbs and my BMI is just below 25. I no longer wear glasses and have reduced my overall medical load from 12 medicines to 5 with two under review for elimination.
At least one of the critical elements is reducing weight which progressively becomes harder as insulin increases, much of it not properly utilised, by fighting that battle weight loss becomes possible but you have to exercise every day. My regime was was 10k steps per day.
After two years of being absolutely stable BS ) I decided to explore if it was possible to improve insulin resistance and have had beneficial results with both vitamin c and d although I am also now focused on trying to reverse the damage done by my heart attack particularily in the area of arterial plaque.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello There: :)

Well, from reading your story, what can I say?? You're AMAZING!!! It takes a Great deal of motivation, persistance and discipline for someone with Diabetes to change their Lifestyle. This usually results in Good numbers, more confidence, decrease in IR, weight loss, possible reversal of damage from prolonged high numbers plus feeling better. All Great stuff!

I noticed that your user name is xdiabetic. Although a Feel Good name, I hope that you don't think that you are no longer a Diabetic. You posted your A1c numbers as 5.8-6.5. These are Good numbers for a Diabetic.

A Person with an A1c of anything over 6.0 is Pre-diabetic, Insulin Resistant(IR) or Diabetic. If you were to fall out of your new Lifestyle your glucose numbers would climb again. A non-Diabetic can eat what they like and their numbers would stay within the official range.

Congratulations on the betterment of your Lifestyle and results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Terrie,
Thanks for your comments. In my third year of no insulin I have been experimenting with various food types with no adverse effects and my average pre meal BS level at 4.5 (UK reading) so my expectation is that my A1c will come out around 6%. What I am more aware of is getting my weight down further ( by at least another 16 lbs) and will be interested to see how my blood sugar levels change although my primary focus is heart related issues and arterial plaque reversal.
I have absolutely no intention of reverting to my previous style and my ediabetic tag was allocated to my when I received an honorable discharge from the diabetic clinic, so my plan is to hold on to that tag for a long time.

Thanks for your encouragement.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
In Canada, 4.5mmol/L is a Good pre-meal number. Okay, if you get a 6.0 A1c, then I will be feeling guilty here. And I'll deserve it too. :D My last A1c's were 6.3, 6.4, 6.4. I see my Endo next week, so I'm hoping for a 6.2 or 6.3. I've been somewhat busy looking after other stuff.

No, Thank You. I Love Success stories. :D Great luck on your last 16 lbs. Yes, hang on to that tag. We're Proud of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Terrie,
Thanks for your comments. In my third year of no insulin I have been experimenting with various food types with no adverse effects and my average pre meal BS level at 4.5 (UK reading) so my expectation is that my A1c will come out around 6%. What I am more aware of is getting my weight down further ( by at least another 16 lbs) and will be interested to see how my blood sugar levels change although my primary focus is heart related issues and arterial plaque reversal.
I have absolutely no intention of reverting to my previous style and my ediabetic tag was allocated to my when I received an honorable discharge from the diabetic clinic, so my plan is to hold on to that tag for a long time.

Thanks for your encouragement.
Hi xdiabetic
You are great ! You will inspire me to do the same. You can now pioneer work on the heart plaques. What all are u doing to accomplish the reversal of the heart disease. The fact that you lost weight in treating diabetes must have helped in easing your heart too. Pl keep us informed of the progress. Congrats for the great job.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello xDiabetic :D, This is are what dreams are made of as I read your story as I can only wish that is true for me. Terrie and I cannot have this as we will have this disease for the rest of our lives. :( It's sad as we know it.
For you however is just what doctors cannot get from pharmacies. Your secret is what you have done already. Doing a sport, Doing something that you enjoy as this is so important. So you have gone and revisited your joy and so good on you!! There is another thing too. As an atherleate, You must have carbohydrates to meet your need of activity. Are you eating more and better foods? :D:p

You are the prize. :D
Congratulations.​

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think an insulin resistant diabetic can reverse their diabetes but as Terri mentioned, we will always be diabetic, just having it under excellent control. As for type 1 diabetics, I believe they must always inject insulin as they aren't making any. But excellent diet and exercise should be important to us all.

Congratulations on your success. I am working towards reducing my diabetes medications, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a history of low blood sugar,but since I have been in menopause it seems my blood glucose fasting level is always about 90.

I found some site where doctor helped me.

He answered all the questions via email and together we have found the medicine for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a history of low blood sugar,but since I have been in menopause it seems my blood glucose fasting level is always about 90.

I found some site where doctor helped me.
qpills. net/diabetes/questions

He answered all the questions via email and together we have found the medicine for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm doing pretty good now since I was diagnosed in January 09. I'm off the metformin with a stable diet and down to 155 lbs from 200. I'm averaging rising BG between 80 and 110, before sleep BG of 110.

Reversing and maintaining is both a mental and physical effort for sure. My father's in the hospital as of this weekend for an unrelated problem but the doctor told me his inability to control his numbers is a factor in a slow recovery after he has surgery. He's just set in his ways, he refuses to give up the foods he enjoys and he thinks you have to do intense exercises which isn't always the case.

You have to keep in mind always, I feel, an intense hate for the disease. You are at war with a preditory animal and you have to decide where you wish to be in 5 to ten years. I decided from day one that I want to be around past 50 so I had to absorb that mindset and set forth the process towards that goal.

Just keep in mind....the only thing that can allow diabetes to take over you, is you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think an insulin resistant diabetic can reverse their diabetes but as Terri mentioned, we will always be diabetic, just having it under excellent control.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well the ADA just raised the bar. predibetes is now officail at 5.7.

I feel you can get good control but your always diabetic. so good control is where its at!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diabetic Type II

Hi All from Cancun Mexico (excuse my written english but i am mexican )

I have been diagnosed Diabetes type II since november 2008. I know for sure that one year ealier I didnt have the illness, but every year i did a checkup because my dad and my siblings are diabetics too. So, when I arrived to my doctor`s office i had a A1C was 11% with and a BG of 389 ,i was about to die! After two years of trying to lower my A1C and taking Janumet which is a mix of metformin 850 mg and 50 mg of sitaglipine twice a day, excercise and diet, my A1C has dropped to 5,5% for the last 6 months. My doctor says that these levels are not from a Diabetic, but he encourages me to continue with my treatment for life. I am taking my pills and having a normal lifestyle without really suffering in my diet, i actually eat a piece of cake once in a while and sometimes frenchfries. I understand my illness and i will follow the treatment. Has anyone knows of anyone else with these low A1C levels after being diagnosed? Has the illness reverted? I would love your comments and feedback

Best Regards from sunny Cancun

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome Irene - what a great improvement you've made! Your A1c is excellent and you know how hard you worked to get it. Your doctor is right in advising you continue your treatment for life. Your meds, exercise and diet are what holds those numbers down.

You still have diabetes, and you have good control. That's what it's all about - keeping those numbers low by using whatever foods, meds, and exercise we can, day in and day out. As long as we take care of ourselves, we can live long healthy lives, and even once in awhile maybe even have a few french fries or a piece of cake, right?! :D

Glad to have you join us. I hope you'll visit and post often.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Orla Comistan Irene, I find your English is very good and welcome to DF. :D I can only echo what Shanny has just said as this disease has many variables in it as it's confusing. It can be reversed Irene. :D

I would like to learn Spanish. :eek::D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm doing pretty good now since I was diagnosed in January 09. I'm off the metformin with a stable diet and down to 155 lbs from 200. I'm averaging rising BG between 80 and 110, before sleep BG of 110.

Reversing and maintaining is both a mental and physical effort for sure. My father's in the hospital as of this weekend for an unrelated problem but the doctor told me his inability to control his numbers is a factor in a slow recovery after he has surgery. He's just set in his ways, he refuses to give up the foods he enjoys and he thinks you have to do intense exercises which isn't always the case.

You have to keep in mind always, I feel, an intense hate for the disease. You are at war with a preditory animal and you have to decide where you wish to be in 5 to ten years. I decided from day one that I want to be around past 50 so I had to absorb that mindset and set forth the process towards that goal.

Just keep in mind....the only thing that can allow diabetes to take over you, is you.
dan if you would not mind, could you tell me your 1ac results when you were taking metformin and the difference coming off metformin has made to your 1ac results.

i was taken off metformin at my last visit and feel so much better for it, but i have not yet had a 1ac off the drug.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Xdiabetic, i am impressed with your story and it is what i need. My mum has a heart condition, inverted goiter (grows inside), glaucoma, and recently had a catarat surgery with a vitreous detachment. Its complicated!
She is 63yrs and weighs 95 kg. Dietician says she must lose weight. How do i do this ? She has really tried being that she was diagnosed just two months ago and has lost 10kg already . Can you give me a guide. Thanks mariam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts