The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I am a 54 year old guy. I have an engineering background and take notes and try to find cause and effect for what is happening. I was diagnosed in April with Type II diabetes (or as the wife calls it, Livabetes, cause no one wants to die from it)

My fasting blood sugar in April was 183. I have started watching what I am eating and drinking. No more candy, soda and I watch how many carbs are in stuff. I have lost 15 pounds since.
I was on metformin but took myself off it when I got my Dexcom 6 and I can monitor my blood sugar in real time. Plus the side effects were not worth the benefit.

So anyway, hello everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Hi Rick, welcome to the forum!!!

I went to an endo once to try and get the cause and specifics on what was going on with me, that was a wasted effort. They wanted me to come in, not fasted, to see what was going on so I did eat breakfast. 2-3 hours later my BG tested like 166 or 168 and he said that didn't mean I was diabetic. Asked what about an 8.8 A1c, then he said I was diabetic, type 2 lean, and I learned nothing else about it there. In hindsight, I look at my diagnosis as good thing, it made me pay more attention to my health. It does pay to learn as much as we can and be our own best health advocate.

Take good notes of the macronutrients (grams of fats, protein, carbs) of what you eat and test (document Dexcom readings) pre-meal, post meal spike, post meal return to pre-meal. Having the CGM is head over heals better than finger sticks, you should be able to pin point exactly when your BG peaked after eating. You should quickly see what foods spike you too much and you can reduce the portion or eliminate it completely. Also if there is less of a spike at a different time of day (OK for lunch, but not dinner), or the effects associated when eaten with certain other foods.

In the event you do need to get on meds, be sure to research what they want you to take, you do have the final decision. If the metformin. you were taking was the regular version and not the extended release version, you might want to give the ER version a try, supposed to be more "User Friendly"

Looking forward to hearing more posts from you on your journey with Livabertes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good Morning,

I am a 54 year old guy. I have an engineering background and take notes and try to find cause and effect for what is happening. I was diagnosed in April with Type II diabetes (or as the wife calls it, Livabetes, cause no one wants to die from it)

My fasting blood sugar in April was 183. I have started watching what I am eating and drinking. No more candy, soda and I watch how many carbs are in stuff. I have lost 15 pounds since.
I was on metformin but took myself off it when I got my Dexcom 6 and I can monitor my blood sugar in real time. Plus the side effects were not worth the benefit.

So anyway, hello everyone.

Hello back.

You probably know this. but I will pretend I am writing for a newcomer who has no knowledge of what his body has done to him.

First of all, do not feel guilty, don't let some unknowing person tell you what happened is because you ate too much or ate too much sugar. It is not true.

Type Two Diabetes is traceable to a specific gene, which can lurk around for years not pushing you into full blown Diabetes. A type One's Pancreas does not make insulin, or so little, well. Diabetes is not their fault either. For a Type two, for a long time our Pancreas makes a lot of insulin. Much more insulin than a normal person, and that keeps us from suffering some of the symptoms of Diabetes. Sometimes there is an additional trigger, like heart medications, fat reducing medications like statins will push us into stronger Diabetic symptoms. Diabetes is a progressive Disease. The better we can control our Blood Glucose, the slower we progress. The more enjoyable our lives might be available to us.

We can go through a phase of Carbohydrate Addiction which has a lot of cravings cause by the high levels of Insulin our bodies produce. It can make us appear to others as we eat too much, and we can be fat. But it is still not something we had control over if we did not know it was happening.

I also had big problems from Metformin. Spent several days unable to eat. In fact, except for the water I took pills with, every time I drank a little water, foam came up in my mouth, which I spit into cup. Was not painful, but very annoying. Food would not stay down. Small sip of diet soda also caused foam. My doc prescribed another drug in place of Metformin. Years later a doc described the differences in Metformin and most of the other oral drugs. Metformin increases Insulin Sensitivity, and prompts the Pancreas to give out more Insulin. The drug I was taking was more like squeezing Insulin from our pancreas, like squeezing water out of a sponge. Eventually our pancreas will not respond to the call for the enormous amounts of Insulin we are asking of it.

I think doctors often wait too long before starting a patient on insulin. If patients started earlier, they would keep more of their own Pancreas function, which makes times between meals and medication smoother (my opinion, not a doctor).

If you have the opportunity to go to a good Diabetes Education class, it might be helpful. Keep in mind that usually these classes are first geared to teach from a Type One Perspective, and filter the information for a type Two, or as some might have Type 1.5 or LADA. They are great about teaching one how to count carbs rather than calories, and how to avoid the cheap carbs.

It can seem to a Type Two that Type ones have it easier in that they can eat almost anything, in any amount, and just adjust Insulin to cover. It is not true. Type Ones do not want to be walking around with high insulin levels to cover a big meal with two pieces of pie and ice cream. it has its own consequences. A type one told me he usually injects 10 or eleven units of insulin a day. So what I inject each day of insulin could kill several type ones.

Just counting carbs is not enough. There is now some evidence that one can reverse then amount of insulin needed. Or put another way, get the Mitochondria in your body to get energized in a way to increase insulin sensitivity, and burn more BG by increasing the amount of nutrients that are in brightly colored vegetables. (except white. Not white potatoes. Not white rice, or pasta) There is a theory about free radical scavengers which would improve health for anyone. Then of course the good oil - bad oil. Well actually some seem to just think something that is not listed as a bad oil is good. Whereas there is some thought that fresh-Canola Oil, helps one to burn fat. Exercise is supposed to increase the good oil in our blood. I said fresh Canola Oil because I suspect even Canola oil can have free radicals.

I bet OP knows all about those things. Specifically. Someone told me how to take Metformin. Does not make sense, but it worked for me. Take the Metformin tablets with the first bite of food. Not take the pilll and a second later a bit of food. Or the opposite, take a bit of food and then the tablet. Must go down together in the first bit of meal. I used sugar free pudding, put the tablets into the pudding on a spoon. I a little gas for a few days. Now it is never a problem. Iwould suffer a bit of gas If take Metformin on an empty stomach, and not eat for half an hour so. That is only a bit annoying. What happened is more like magic. Since Metformin is pretty well thought of, you might consider giving it a try. And tell us what your experience is.

i have been taking the ARREDS2 Eye Vitamins. My experience is quite good. My vision has improved. Colors are deeper and brighter, detail is better than I can recall in several decades. When the study was done on the ARREDS2, the doctors were so astounded by the good results, they agreed to break open the study blind and if there were no problems, they would recommend the ARREDS2 Eye Vitamins. Which is what happened. Make up your own mind.

Notice I said ARREDS2 with a Two, not the one which is still sold.

Anything that is good for the back of the eye, is also good for the brain, the heart, the kidneys.

Exercise. After I had been the diabetes regiman for awhile, I told my doc that it was amazing how llittle exercise I had to do -that would give me a big increase - in Insulin Sensitivity. Almost instantly my Blood Glucose looked like a normal person, He said it usually takes over a year for patients to come to that conclusion. Slow Walk around block, or in some places, half a block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts