The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So why am I able to eat any kind of carb I want in the afternoon and my readings stay normal? I mean anything (or at least anything I've tried): bread, fruit, a fun-size Butterfinger, even tea with three spoons full of sugar. But breakfast has to be very low carb (maybe even no carb; I'm still figuring it out). And, if I want a normal reading in the morning, I have to watch my carbs at dinner too.

Obviously, I love the afternoon. But I wonder what's going on. Is this just one of the idiosyncrasies that are part of diabetes and I should just go with it? Or should I ignore the meter? :confused:

·
Registered
741 Posts
All I know is breakfast for me had to be just fat + protein...and not too much protein

Lunch - Mid afternoon Im not just like you...but I know it is the time of day I can eat a meal plus desert of a small amount of some fruits...its is the direct opposite to the morning for me too

Im trying to eat my main meal at lunchtime due to this and have a very light dinner....so far lol I'm still trying and have not achieved

BUT...I did an experiment yesterday at my 'good' time of day...I had a beef curry and added a SMALL potato...I tripled my insulin and still spiked...so for me at least it does matter what I eat...I can just eat a little more

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about this after I posted, and realized I'd said "bread, fruit, a fun-size Butterfinger, even tea with three spoons full of sugar" without putting "or" between each item. Because that's what I've tried. I haven't actually tried eating them all at the same meal and I'm not going to. Plus, the Butterfinger wasn't a king size, like the ones I used to inhale, or even regular size; it was the size you give out at Halloween. So I probably can't eat any kind of carb in any amount, but I've discovered I have, as you succinctly put it, a good time of day.

Tomorrow breakfast -- my not-so-good time of day -- will be zero carbs. Then it'll be off to the store to find flax meal and psyllium husks and whey protein to make some sort of cereal substitute. I like breakfasts you can eat with a spoon. So much safer than forks in the groggy morning. :D

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a carb-free breakfast and my body loves me. This morning, fasting, I was 104. Ate a cheese omelet, and 2 hours later I was 98. Just ate half a banana so I won't hit the wall while shopping.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
460 Posts
I didn't think for one moment that you meant to eat all those choices at the same time :p

It seems that we have daily cycles, and many others (including myself) find that morning is when I am least able to tolerate carbohydrates.

Now take a second and think what that means to society at large... what is the quintessential "complete breakfast" these days:

cereal with skimmed milk, OJ, toast or muffin with jam/jelly, coffee with creamer -- of course followed up with a donut or muffin or cookies at mid-morning break when we run out of steam!:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts