The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this is my first letter and would like to know where I can find something to read about my situation. I am 56 years old male and have been a diabetic since 1994. My current weight is 195 lbs. 6.2 in height, not flabby but not muscular. I do some stretching and light exercise almost everyday. I take insulin through my insulin pump. And....

Everything I read about diabetes is mostly centered about diet and loosing weight. So my question is, How do you deal with diabetes if you are not overweight?

Can somebody give me a link or something to educate myself.

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Even if you are NOT overweight, proper diet and daily exercise are still critical for diabetics.

Following a Low-Carb diet will keep your blood glucose levels lower, and reduce the amounts of bolus insulin you need. (Or if you're a type-II not on insulin, lower the amount of insulin required by your system, thus saving your pancreas from early burnout.)

Daily exercise not only burns blood glucose, it lowers insulin resistance (which can occur in both Type1 and Type2 diabetics) as well as has numerous benefits for your health.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if you are NOT overweight, proper diet and daily exercise are still critical for diabetics.

Following a Low-Carb diet will keep your blood glucose levels lower, and reduce the amounts of bolus insulin you need. (Or if you're a type-II not on insulin, lower the amount of insulin required by your system, thus saving your pancreas from early burnout.)

Daily exercise not only burns blood glucose, it lowers insulin resistance (which can occur in both Type1 and Type2 diabetics) as well as has numerous benefits for your health.
but my problem is I loose weight, look thin and look very unhealthy. Wish I can keep the same weight and looks even I am on a diet and exercise.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you're already eating a low carb diet, all you need to do is eat more protein, or add more fat to your diet. Protein won't raise your BGL very much, and fat won't raise it at all. Adjusting your pump to the extra intake is easy enough, right?

And welcome to DF, Mr Perez. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I understand what you are saying and thank you for the response. Following low carb diet result in loosing weight which then becomes my problem, I look like a walking stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, thanks...yep adjusting my pump is no hassle. Thank you again..back to the drawing board....protein protein protein

·
Registered
718 Posts
How much protein are you eating? How much fat are you eating?

I would suggest upping that as much as possible. Beefy linked to a website a while ago in another thread that can calculate how many calories you need in a day based on your personal details. If he could post that again, you could figure that out and then make up enough calories in protein/fat that you could maintain, maybe?

I've never been one to overuse the fat, just a little here and there, but the recent reading I've been doing says I should be eating more fat and not so heavy on the protein. It should be a low carb / high fat diet. So I'm adding more fat in...like avocado or guacamole, using some olive oil, coconut oil, or butter to cook with when I used to use nothing.... stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I understand what you are saying and thank you for the response. Following low carb diet result in loosing weight which then becomes my problem, I look like a walking stick.
If you lose weight when on a low-carb diet, and it's not just fat-loss, then you should likely be eating more calories, especially fat.

Also, if you're not already doing it, you may want to do resistance/weight training exercises to help build muscle instead of (or in addition to) cardio. Adding a few pounds of muscle really helps with not looking like a walking stick :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am a thin type 2, also. I weight around 119. I eat to keep my blood sugars close to 100. That means I have to watch my carbs at each meal. I barely eat 1-3 carbs for breakfast , about 20-25 for lunch and usually 10 for dinner. That is the schedule that works best for me.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Heavy cream is very low carb but has about 50 calories per tablespoon. I use it to make ice cream, but I can't eat much of that since I DO need to lose weight. Cheese is also pretty high in calories, but very low carb.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Your weight is good but BG is high? Why cant you just increase your insulin?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I make sure I add enough fat and protein to keep my bg stable. Usually if you are losing weight it is from the higher bgs, not the low carb diet. Usually your body will stabalise when it hits your natural weight range. When bgs are too high, above 140 then the glucose is not getting into the cells to be used for nourishment. Once you get your bgs in line your weight should stabalise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Information

Hello this is my first letter and would like to know where I can find something to read about my situation. I am 56 years old male and have been a diabetic since 1994. My current weight is 195 lbs. 6.2 in height, not flabby but not muscular. I do some stretching and light exercise almost everyday. I take insulin through my insulin pump. And....

Everything I read about diabetes is mostly centered about diet and loosing weight. So my question is, How do you deal with diabetes if you are not overweight?

Can somebody give me a link or something to educate myself.

Thank you so much in advance.
Hi and welcome to the forum
There should be many here that can offer much information. Please be sure to keep checking back and also let us know how you are doing.

Gene

1 - 14 of 14 Posts