The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A good friend and neighbor died yesterday morning of heart failure and I knew he was having "walking problems", but never dreamed it was because of diabetes and uncontrolled bg. He had gained some lbs in the last few years, but they kept it very quiet that he had diabetes. I'd assumed it was because he had knee problems. Turns out he had problems walking because he had no feeling in his feet at all.

So sad, if I'd known I'd have tried to tell him about our diet and he might still be around with us. He was good at computer skills, so he might have tested our ideas.

Sigh,

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A good friend and neighbor died yesterday morning of heart failure and I knew he was having "walking problems", but never dreamed it was because of diabetes and uncontrolled bg. He had gained some lbs in the last few years, but they kept it very quiet that he had diabetes. I'd assumed it was because he had knee problems. Turns out he had problems walking because he had no feeling in his feet at all.

So sad, if I'd known I'd have tried to tell him about our diet and he might still be around with us. He was good at computer skills, so he might have tested our ideas.

Sigh,
Oh Pat - that's such a shame. I'm so sorry. It's always a loss, but when it's a needless loss we feel so helpless.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Oh Pat, this makes me so sad. And it makes me even more mad at the ADA. If they gave the information to diabetic patients that they know is true, this sort of thing wouldn't happen nearly as often as it does. I'm so sorry this happened.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am so sorry for this. I wonder when the medical community will finally get the message about higher bgs and higher carb diet. I see so many diabetics that think they are taking care of their diabetes while eating a very high carb diet prescribed by their CDE's and doctors. Most of these diabetics probably don't even know what "normal" bgs are. I know my Dad is one of those diabetics. He eats higher carbs and only tests 2 x per week per instructions from his doctor. None of those 2 tests are after meal tests. I worry so much but have given up trying to change his diet because he doesn't listen because I don't have a medical degree. It is really a shame when you know something that works and doctors don't tell their diabetic patients.

·
Registered
741 Posts
*hugs* Pat that is really very sad

I have an old lady across the road with diabetes...she's been rushed to hospital with hypos so many times...I've tried talking to her but.......alas when people trust doctors it's difficult...

I did say to her that her doctor's advice lands her in hospital...I'll keep trying

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have an old lady across the road with diabetes...she's been rushed to hospital with hypos so many times...I've tried talking to her but.......alas when people trust doctors it's difficult...

I did say to her that her doctor's advice lands her in hospital...I'll keep trying
I work with seniors. It's appalling what they are not told about diabetes! And contrary to what seniors are told, I'm very sorry but fasting glucose of 12 (216 mg/dL) is NOT acceptable. But hey? Doesn't matter, right? They are old and on their way out anyway......??!? :mad:

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
741 Posts
I work with seniors. It's appalling what they are not told about diabetes! And contrary to what seniors are told, I'm very sorry but fasting glucose of 12 (216 mg/dL) is NOT acceptable. But hey? Doesn't matter, right? They are old and on their way out anyway......??!? :mad:
it is so difficult to get through to her because she trusts her doctor...I will slowly plug away until she trusts me...

·
Registered
206 Posts
it is so difficult to get through to her because she trusts her doctor...I will slowly plug away until she trusts me...
That's a good strategy! :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That is so sad, Pat -- and I am sure it happens far, far too often. The message is clearly not getting through, yet!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm so sorry Pat! The thing that drives me to control diabetes instead of it controlling me is my dad. The last decade of his life was hell. He was insulin-dependent Type 2 and didn't test unless he felt hypo. My mom never changed her cooking ways (dad was in a wheelchair and couldn't cook). He did the death-by inches thing as diabetes slowly ate him up, and weakened him so other ailments could come in and make it so much worse. My mom is probably at least pre-diabetic but since her doc never says anything she doesn't care. Heck, she hardly knows jack about diabetes even though she was married to one. She doesn't listen to anything I say.:lalala:

This morning the dietitian commented "you're really on top of this".
Damn straight I am. On my wedding day I vowed to my wife I would never leave her... and neglecting myself to where diabetes kills me is breaking that vow.

Pass the ammo sarge, I'm goin' to WAR.:mad2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
So much misinformation out there...and so much misguidance. :mad:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
What a sad story, Pat. I can actually picture this poor guy in my mind struggling to walk, struggling to get in some sort of exercise because that is the only thing the doctor told him that was correct. Yet as we all know, that isn't nearly enough. So truly, truly sad!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend and neighbor. I will be holding you in the light.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
The saddest part of this story is that he really did try the ADA diet he was instructed to use.

So sad overall, but this is especially sad :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am so sorry :-/

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I was just going to click "like" on your post then I realised that I DIDN'T really "like" what you said. I do agree with every word you say but "like" - no way!:eek:hwell:

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts