The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the mother of a 20 year old type 1. My son is an insulin overdoser. He has hypoglycemia unawareness. He is successful in everything he does but does not seem to be able to manage this part of his life. The last person he wants help from is me. He is in college and that part of his life is perfect.
Does anyone have suggestions to help me?

·
Registered
633 Posts
What makes you say he is an insulin over doser. Having hypoglycimia unawareness is not a result of taking too much. Reality is that no one really knows why we loose or ability to feel hypos but a lot of diabetics that have had it for a long time have that problem. Is your son using a pump, if not this would help with the swings that so many diabetics on injections suffer from and a more stable blood glucose may help his awareness to improve.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what's wrong w/ talking with him about it like an adult? sit down w/ him and hash it out

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Robin . . . welcome aboard. I know from experience that the last thing our kids want at that age, is our advice, and sometimes we just have to let go. If your son were inclined to join our forum, he might find in talking with others in the same boat, that he can manage tighter control without compromising his perfect college life! :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm non-insulin dependent so don't have much to say other than :welcome:

O

·
0 Posts
hi Robin - welcome :) your son is lucky to have a concerned mum. Does your son regularly see an endo at all? It's probably something he should be sorting out with his medical team. Hypoglycemia is dangerous and docs don't like us having too many of them (as I did myself recently) and the first thing that tends to happen is that docs want to reduce insulin intake and then readjust things. I can understand your concern, especially if your son lives with you... you don't want it getting so bad that he goes unconscious. But I'm not sure whether there is much you can do except subtle hints to him perhaps?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Robin, welcome aboard! Your son is in clooege, doing well there and does well with many things. He sounds like an intelligent and hard working individual. He will probably keep working on his diabetes control and solve that problem too. I agree with the other member that a pump would help your son very much. I had far fewer hypos after I started pumping insulin. Would your insurance cover the expense of a pump for him?

I have been a type 1 for 65 years, and I am doing very well. I had many difficulties while growing up and while in college, but I overcame all those problems and am having a wonderful retired life now. You son will probably follow the same path and live a long, healthy life.

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts