The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to run but keep getting hurt. I experience what feels like a really bad cramp in my calf but it is actually micro tear in the muscle. It takes 2 to 3 weeks to heal. My doctor tells me it is fairly common in diabetics. Does anyone else out there know anything about this and how to deal with it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Now I am no Dr. but I do know that most diabetics have to be careful of their potassium levels and also your hydration level. I wonder if this is related to your leg cramps? I have had the leg cramps and by drinking water and eating a banana they have actually went away. I also know that my dad had the same problem and he was a Type I for 42 years.. just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i suffer from this also, i used to play alot of football, but i could never run for long as i would always have this, if any one knows how to prevent this i would love to hear from them .
My doc had told me that the reason this happens is that the muscle is not strong enough to withstand the punishment running dishes out. So, currently, I am working on a stationary bike and treadmill to see what happens. I am afraid to go out on the street now as every time this happens I am way out there with no good way home. If I learn anything, I'll let you know. You do the same, OK? Of the doctors & trainers I have spoken to, no one seems to have any real knowledge about this. Frustrating!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I am no Dr. but I do know that most diabetics have to be careful of their potassium levels and also your hydration level. I wonder if this is related to your leg cramps? I have had the leg cramps and by drinking water and eating a banana they have actually went away. I also know that my dad had the same problem and he was a Type I for 42 years.. just a thought.
MissMeg, I am one ahead of you. When I believed this to be a cramping problem I checked out the chemical balance. It was confirmed that it was not chemical. My potassium level was very good & I believe my hydration was good, too, due to drinking water while running. Later after two MRIs it was discovered these were really not cramps but tiny micro-tears in my muscles, common to some diabetics. Beyond that, not much else is known. Thanks for your comments. This is my 1st time on a forum & it is nice to know others are out there to bounce things off of. 1tinman

·
Registered
147 Posts
NP dear! I wonder if this is due to taking time off running and being a diabetic? Had you taken some time off and then noticed these pains? Just curious is all.. I know that it takes a diabetic longer to heal so I am wondering if maybe it happened cause the muscle was relaxed for awhile and then used again... as I said just curious... And bounce anything you want because we all might share the same disease but not always the same "side effects" of it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NP dear! I wonder if this is due to taking time off running and being a diabetic? Had you taken some time off and then noticed these pains? Just curious is all.. I know that it takes a diabetic longer to heal so I am wondering if maybe it happened cause the muscle was relaxed for awhile and then used again... as I said just curious... And bounce anything you want because we all might share the same disease but not always the same "side effects" of it :)
Actually, this started after I was getting into very good shape. I was running three time a week, 40 minutes twice & an hour on the weekend with a group. This was sandwiched between a couple of shorter, light gym workouts p. week also. When the "cramps" happened I was always about 30 to 40 minutes into the run and in all of the cases I was feeling super. That is what is so disappointing...everything is going so right and then bam!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts