The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a recipe for rusks made from almond flour. Here in South Africa rusks with coffee is very much part of the Afrikaans culture but it is always made with wheat flour. The slightest bit of wheat/rye/oats flour spikes me in minutes so I'm looking for a recipe without any wheat/oats/rye flour. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you are after but I have made these and they are delicious...you could omit the nuts and it may be close to what you are looking for.

Cashew Biscotti

• 1 cup whey protein isolate/concentrate (mine is vanilla)
• 1 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond 3:2:1 or just 2 cups of almond meal would work)OR golden flax
• 1 cup sweetener
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 3 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
• 1 cup crushed cashews (38 carbs)

• Preheat oven to 300°F.
• Line baking sheet with parchment.
• Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
• Whisk the eggs, vanilla in your mixer until well blended.
• Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
• Dough should be thick and sticky at this point--do not worry, and DO NOT add more flour!
• Scrape the dough out onto a parchment lined sheet pan.
• Flour your hands and shape into a long flat loaf about 10 inches long and 5 inches wide.
• This will be kind of messy, so don't worry about how neat it is, just try to get it in that general shape.
• Bake until firm and dry, about 50 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and cool 10 minute.
• Use a long serrated knife and slice into 1/2-inch wide slices.
• Lay the slices cut side down on the baking sheet and bake another 20 minutes.
• Turn the slices over and bake 20 minutes more, or until the cookies are a light golden brown.
• Cool the biscotti on a rack; cool completely before storing

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
A quick question...I'm allergic to whey protein and have to use egg white protein instead...can I just always substitute it in any recipe that calls for whey protein?

If not, when can I substitute? There are so many good sounding recipes that call for whey.

I hope someone knows!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pat I use whey protein as its so low in carbs...and I find using all nut flours (as in 100% of the recipe) is not a stable mass...

This recipe is meant to produce a very dry and hard type of pastry...to be dunked in coffee....and because it is cooked twice...lol it could taste a bit like wood if you used just flax/linseed and or LSA...the whey protein makes it less grainy...

You could try subbing the whey with coconut flour...

I will look at my recipes and see what I can find that I've made without whey...its a pain when we need to constantly have top rewrite recipes but even harder when we have to exclude with ingredients... for me I cant eat cream cheese...spikes me to hell

·
Registered
741 Posts
I know...I make a yummy one also...with nut crust :(...actually the last time I tried one it tasted salty....weird

1 - 7 of 7 Posts