The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This news has been around for over a month, but I thought there would be more press. Russia has approved the use of pig cells for insulin production in humans.

The news if from here Living Cell Technologies - Creating life-changing cellular therapy targeting Type 1 Diabetes, Parkinson's Disease, Stroke and Haemophilia | Living Cell Technology. It is also nearing completion in New Zealand as the final trials are underway. See this BeingDiabetic.co.nz | LCT’s DIABECELL® Registered for Sale and Use in Russia.

The great thing is that no anti-rejection drugs will be needed.

This is not intended for Type 2 usage at this time, but only Type 1 that are hypoglycemically unaware. This could be a good thing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on U of MN clinal trials

A fellow blogger, Scott Johnson has at least given us some insight into what is happening at the University of Minnesota's Schulz Diabetes Institute.

I am in error as I had thought they were doing research similar to what happened in Russia and is going on in New Zealand. What is being done here requires immunosuppressants or anti-rejection drugs.

So read about the conversation with Kathy here Dinner With Kathy and Her New Islets. Then to take your research further go the Schulz Diabetes Institute for reading more - Home - MED - Schulze Diabetes Institute, University of Minnesota.

All this is interesting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts