1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Almost everyone in the world, including People with Diabetes and
other conditions/diseases, have experienced down-days/weeks
and/or clinical depression. Many have had suicidal thoughts and
unfortunately some have given in to their tendencies.

Seasonal Affective Disorders(SAD) is yet another type of
Depression which confuses, frustrates, overwhelms and can
be Very dibilitating for the People involved.

As mentioned before, anyone suffering from symptoms of Depression
or other conditions, should/must consult with their Health Care
Professionals before they take any prescription/non-prescription
medications or any other treatments that may adversely affect their
health.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mental NON Social?

Hello Terrie, I have been not suicidal but kinda down just having to see whare my BG is at. Also I don't go out much as I have to keep my meter everywhere so socially I am quite by myself and come lunchtime I get to use my bolus pen and I can freak people out when I use it although pens are a better tool for us as it's not the disposable syringes that we used to use so that one benefit that stems us from drug addicts.
The newly diagnosed I find are more shocked as type 1's when they have to deal with taking injections everyday and that meter just to see that they're OK.
I would love to rid of this disease so I can at least go out and socially have something to eat & drink without having to look at my meter and bolus pen.

I hate this disease. :confused: :(

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Morning Peter: :)

Sorry, to hear that you feel down sometimes and you are certainly not alone there. Most everyone feels down at some time. So you have company. I get the Seasonal Affect Disorder(SAD)in the last couple months of wintertime but once it's Spring I'm back to myself. :D Just like you, most of the Diabetes population hates Diabetes also, I know. I don't mind Diabetes but I sure hate wasps. :eek: ;)

Hey, you're still a young Lad. You know that cure isn't too far off. Keep your chin up and do the Best you can with keeping your sugars under control. And don't be eating so many jelly beans. :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Peter, you're not alone, we stand all together in this sad disease i just took my test i'm at 17.1 Mmoll can't get it down Insulin resistant .And like you can't get out to much
Parkinson slows me down.But Peter we can't stay in this mood to long Bad Business for us .So let's get at least a smile on our face for the day. One day at the time.
SEe Yah ,Bye Richard (Ricky)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Terrie, you are one of the very best at helping your fellow diabetics. Your dedication and your expertise are greatly appreciated. You are a precious jewel among us rough cut diamonds. Thank you so very much!

Here are a couple of sites posted by my diabetes educator friend on her site. They address the attitudes and traumas so many of us experience in our diabetes management.

Diabetes Programs and Diabetes Behavioral Research to overcome behavioral obstacles to living with Diabetes - Behavioral Diabetes Institute. You may find it helpful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Richard for the links I went to see them browse them
but i'm going to have a closer look .
Bye Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Richard: :)

I dare say, a little exaggeration there Richard :D but Thank You for the kind words. Very poetic. Thanks for the Good links.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Terrie, you are one of the very best at helping your fellow diabetics. Your dedication and your expertise are greatly appreciated. You are a precious jewel among us rough cut diamonds. Thank you so very much!
Yes Richard, I can echo that statement too as we all need help in so many ways. :p

Hi Richard: :)

I dare say, a little exaggeration there Richard :D but Thank You for the kind words. Very poetic. Thanks for the Good links.
Thankyou Terrie of your kind and helpful support as they are comforting words as I find there is always room for love.
Terrie, Please take these credits as we need more people like you. :D

Thankyou Terrie, You are wonderful. :p

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OMG Peter!! Those flowers are so beautiful and your Sweet comments. Thank you SOOOO much. What a surprise! You's brought a few tears to my eyes and I rarely shed a tear. :eek: Okay I will accept your compliments graciously. I'm also going to print your flowers and both of your compliments and hang them on my wall. :D Thank you both! You are ALL Special People and I surely appreciate what you are ALL going through. You's are Priceless.

·
Registered
663 Posts
memories

You are welcome Terrie. OOXX (((HUGZ)))
There is an up side to our disease and can laugh about it but I can also remember the diagnosis that I could write a book about it and it's about food more that anything else because back then we did not have Blood Glucose Meters and weak insulins and the test tube that some times show royal blue.
And there is the exercise which is something that we don't want to push too hard as the dreaded lows and sometimes be amazed that we can throw caution to the wind without going low.
The art that I adore is now a fond memory and now see performance's from the theater seat and marvel their moves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Boy it is really nice to know that I am not the only one (which I really did know) with diabetes that has those low days.
I have found the key is to just make yourself get up and do the things you love. It does help to lift your spirits.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Marcy :D, Yes Terrie is a gem and this is why this forum is all about supporting diabetes all over the world.

So smile and be happy and go to those things that make you happy. :D:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with everyone about Terrie:p She made me feel so welcome when I came here first and very knowledgable.

That being said -- I want to comment on the "sad" days! I can say that I have had my fair share of "sad" days ... I typically have those days when my sugar is running high and there is no reason for it to be high. I also have had a few life changing matters in my life that where kinda thrown into my lap since my diagnosis. I have just tried to laugh at my life cause if I don't laugh at it I might just brake down and cry. And I know that depression is a condition that goes hand and hand with diabetes.. and I am not sure that most Dr. believe it when you say your feeling "sad,blue and depressed". :( I think that they just shrug it off ..at least that has been my experience. I think it is rather interesting cause my GYN is actually more involved with my treatment than my personal Dr... Ok wow I just rambled and didn't make sense-- maybe I need to check my sugar lol

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Meg

A good post Meg and it made perfect sense to me. ;) I was frequently depressed for many years until I found out that I was supposed to eat low carb and then started having much better control. Since getting good control I have very little depression. Being retired and carefree helps too!!! :p Meg, I hope you have many healthy, happy years ahead without bad depression.

Richard :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks Richard.. As of now I am feeling very *happy* with life and how things are going.. I just think that some of my *sad* days where dealing with being diagnosed with the same thing I watched my dad pass away from and then to find out the man that I gave 15 years to and 4 kids cheated on me and at a time when I needed him the most.. But as time passes and I can see "clearly" now I see that I did the right thing by leaving as it opened many doors for me that where tightly shut under his control for many years.. and it also allowed me to find someone that cares for me and appreciates me and loves my kids.. so I turned that frown upside down and I don't look back unless it is to laugh and reflect on how I allowed myself to be controlled and treated wrongly for years... From one good person to another Richard..

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I have the diagnosis you think nothing of it and then the penny dropped and you are now burdened with the management of Blood Glucose and the tools that you use to combat the problem. I still remember the 1970's when you had to stay away from honey, weigh bread and the many other ways to control the carbs that you eat and so years go by and the craving get's the better of you. So you break the rule and have your hit and back then I could "Burn off" the then harmful sugar buy exercise.
This is before the advent of BG meters that certainly open a whole new world. :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yes Peter, that is a good thing that the new world offers us. The bad thing is that diabetes is an infestation and the number of diabetics is growing exponentially. I am beginning to think that diabetes might become the leading cause of death worldwide in the decades ahead. Modern day medicines, technology and knowledge save millions of lifes among diabetics but there are millions not touched or helped by those conveniences. It saddens me to dwell on this subject.

Richard

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with you Richard.. It truly does sadden me to think that there are people who can't get the appropriate treatment. I for one can say cause I was on the end of the spectrum of not getting the right treatment and thought I was about to lose my mind. Now that I am on the right track I feel 1000000000% times better. The advancements in treatment for diabetes is amazing-- I use to watch my dad when I was a kid and think "I hope that I never have to do that" and now 20+ years later I am doing it to myself just in a more advanced manner!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
With this I think of nice things like giving flowers to that special someone that we love to appreciate. Spend time and make the effort to see that movie or things that you like to do. Even if it's a cake to have with coffee. ;) and kick back and relax with Vivaldi playing in the background. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts