Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Safe method of disposal of expired insulin

42K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Terrie 
#1 ·
I have a supply of insulin that I can no longer use and it has now long expired.

How do I discard it?

It is in the form of Lantus (Optiset pens).

#2 ·
Phone around. Most pharmacies should accept them for disposal. Ask your own Pharmacy first, if they will dispose of them. I've been getting free bio-hazard sharps containers from my Pharmacy for about 5 years and sometimes throw a bottle of pills that I don't need into it. I mention the drugs to the Pharmacist when I take the filled container back to them.

When I cleared out my older Brother's apartment, I had the same situation. I was looking for a new Pharmacy to take over my business but meanwhile I had all my Brother's prescription drugs to dispose of(some expired). I phoned up a popular Pharmacy and the Pharmacist asked if I was their customer. I said, "No". He said, "Sorry, I can not accept the medications for disposal then". You can bet that I did not choose that man to be my new Pharmacist. Good Luck!

#3 ·
I agree with Terrie try the Pharmacy first but you could also try your doctor's office as well.. alot of times they will take them as well. I get my bio boxes free from my work- and they even allow me to dispose of them with their medical waste free as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.