The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever used Safflower oil? Here is some interesting info on this oil that I found on Yahoo.

I have never knowingly used Safflower oil - unbeknownst (hey, why the wavy red underline? I am sure the spelling is correct, I learnt the word at school more than 4 decades ago) to me, it could have been an ingredient in a packaged food (which I take very, very rarely) purchased from a store or something I ate in a restaurant (which I do more frequently.) We basically use coconut oil for cooking.

Regards,
Rad

·
Registered
930 Posts
i think Coconut oil is the best for cooking because it is saturated fat unlike Safflower oil which will decompose when heated because it is unsaturated.

for eating i use virgin cold pressed unsaturated oils that are kept refrigerated like flax seed oil, but i also use cold pressed virgin olive oil in a can that is not refrigerated. i believe that we Americans have too little unsaturated fat in our diet.

ColaJim

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Most of the junk food is cottonseed oil as it is the cheapest.

I used to use safflower oil, among others.

Now I use CO, or for cold salads and dishes EVOO, or butter. We use a lot of butter, anymore!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used to use Safflower, Canola and Soybean Oil until I learned how they oxidize when heated. Even Olive Oil will cause free radicals when heated. So like the others I have switched to Coconut Oil. My food tastes so much better.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have also used all of the above in the past. Now am using coconut oil and we're also using a LOT of butter.

(I'll watch the video if it ever gets loaded . . . magic machine is a little sluggish today . . . :confused:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am learning to cook totally without oils. It's very easy with the proper cookware and techniques. Unlike most here, I follow a very low fat diet. Works very well for me, except when I stray and wolf down a pizza. :evil:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Foxl, I am working with the idea that type 2 diabetes is based on too much fat in the muscle cells, causing the insulin resistance. I know not all experts agree with that, but there is some research that supports it. My glucose scores have been best when I've stayed very low fat.

I am not married to that idea. Right now, it's just a hypothesis that I am testing on myself.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Could well be ... I think there are at least several causes of insulin resistance, muscle-based being one ... overproduction of glucose in the liver, another ... and maybe brain and stomach signalling, and who knows where else?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Before diabetes I ate a plant based very low fat diet and it pushed my fasting up to 240. I seem to be very insulin resistant, now. Even with losing weight when I eat any kind of carb I tend to spike. If I eat meat, cheese or fat I rarely spike and bgs stay very close to 100 or less. So for me using saturated fats is very important to bg control. Last summer when I had the problems with statins that destroyed my muscles my bgs rose to 200+ most of the day. As I have rebuilt my muscles with meat and fat my bgs have fallen into the normal range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts