The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a tip from patdart about using pork rinds to make meatloaf & stuffed peppers, I tried making salmon patties with them. To 1 can salmon (skin & bones removed), I added an egg & 1 cup ground pork rinds, I fried them in olive oil. In the days before carb-counting, I would make them the same except I'd use a sleeve of crushed saltines instead of rinds, and they would hold together when shaping the patties & during cooking.

The pork rind ones tasted good, but fell apart when I tried to shape them in my hand, so I made balls and flattened them in the skillet. When I turned them, they fell apart. Any suggestions?

Also, I don't know anything about vital wheat glutin, except it is used in baking bread. Do you think that would help keep them from falling apart?

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah, sounds like not enough liquid to hold things together. i'd try with 1/2c pork rinds.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use psyllium as a filler...it had so much fibre it cancels out the carbs...it absorbs liquid really well

But....Ive been making my tuna and salmon patties and even meat one in large muffin tins in the oven...I use a patty cake liner because I dont want them to smell yukky for the next batch of muffins...they take about 1/2 hour to cook and never fall apart...I let them cool in the tray to give them a better chance lol

I used to fry them and sometimes they fell apart...but now (as I usually make a massive batch to freeze) I bake them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts