The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love salmon patties and have always liked the old one from Heloise. I'm putting it here, but need some help converting it. These use flour and so the carb count is 12 per pattie.

1 (14 ounce) can salmon
1/4 cup salmon liquid, from the salmon
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
oil (for frying)
Directions:

Half fill a deep fryer or skillet with oil. Preheat while you are mixing the salmonettes. Drain all but 1/4 cup liquid off the canned salmon and set it aside. Put the salmon in a mixing bowl and break it apart with a fork until you have no big flakes. Add the flour and egg. Blend with a spoon until all of the flour is mixed in, don't overmix.
Add the baking powder to the liquid that was set aside and beat with a fork or whisk until frothy. Immediately pour this into the salmon mixture and stir until well blended. It is important not to let the baking powder and liquid mixture sit after mixing. Pour it immediately.
Drop the mixture by spoonfuls (small bite sized balls are the best) into the hot oil. They will brown very quickly-about 5-7 minutes. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, can any of you clever cooks suggest a sub for the flour? I have both egg white powder (allergic to whey powder) and some CarbQuick which according to the label has 16 carbs, but 14 insoluble carbs for 1/3 cup. I haven't used it yet, so I know almost nothing about it and it's effects on me. Will either be a good sub for the 1/2 c. flour? Or any other ideas for me?

Also, I'd like thoughts on CarbQuick and how it works. For example, according to the box, will the net carbs be only 4? Or, am I not understanding how it works?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
What about trying pork rinds to hold it together?

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slap! (Sound of Pat slapping her forehead) Of course that should work. Maybe at least worth a try!

Any other thoughts or answers about CarbQuic?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Any other thoughts or answers about CarbQuic?
I've got a box of that gathering dust in the pantry. I'll get around to trying it one day, but mostly I've been trying to work around vs get around :)

Will be interested in what others report ...

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just got to make some of that one day soon. I assume I can store it in a jar in the 'fridge???????

Meanwhile I'm going to try the Carbquik. I'll try to remember to post result and if I forget just send me a message. I'm having company and may get busy and forget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts