The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

As a Type 2 newbie (diagnosed 1 month ago), I think my challenge today is to discover what is good for my BG.

The major problem for me is too understand the different changes in metabolism caused by different meals. So, I am a bit stucked in the same food that I know its good, most grilled low fat meat/chicken/fish and vegetables, like lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

Until last weekend.

Saturday morning, my fasting was 93. Before lunch, it was 85. I had a little integral rice portion, 2 1/2 integral pancakes (just realise that pancakes here are not the same then US. Its something salty with ground beef inside) and lettuce. My reading after 2 hours was 111.

Yesterday, my fasting was 94. I ate exactly the same thing at lunch and exactly the same portion but after 2 hours, my reading was 158.

Do you know is wrong?

Thank you. Fabio.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My guess?

1) nothing is wrong, just happens.

2) finger contamination? Did you wash first?

3) that is a lot of carb ... might try choosing between the rice and the empanada?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
This may sound peculiar, but I seem to have more sensitivity to carbs in the early morning than the rest of the day. That would be the opposite oy your situation. One carb will raise my BS 3-4 points most of the day, but as much as 8 points after breakfast. I have tested this without the influence of insulin and ate the same foods like you did, so it seems to be consistent. I call it "carb sensitivity", but I have not seen any other diabetics post anything about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess?

1) nothing is wrong, just happens.

2) finger contamination? Did you wash first?

3) that is a lot of carb ... might try choosing between the rice and the empanada?
Thank you, foxl.

I will try again without rice (yes, my wife cooked a lot of ones) and btw, I realised our pancakes is just like a crepe.

I thought could be finger contamination, so I washes my hands again and retested. The result was pretty the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updated

Thank you, foxl.

I will try again without rice (yes, my wife cooked a lot of ones) and btw, I realised our pancakes is just like a crepe.

I thought could be finger contamination, so I washes my hands again and retested. The result was pretty the same.

I just ate three "crepes" instead 2 and a half, but without rice.
Result: 111.

Yeap, I have to learn so many things... Thank you!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just ate three "crepes" instead 2 and a half, but without rice.
Result: 111.

Yeap, I have to learn so many things... Thank you!
I've found I can't eat any type of rice. Even 1/2c of cooked brown rice or parboiled (which are supposed to be the lowest GI rices) will spike me almost 3 points. (about 50 points for the USA scale).

I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
My daughter requested rice, last night, she is from India, her sister is from China, their brother is from Guatemala ... HOW could I say no?

So I cooked them rice. So in a nostalgic moment, I ate a tsp. Do not miss it either, really.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I made chilli last night for the Super Bowl and my son requested I make white rice. I didn't even have the urge to taste it. It is amazing how you lose your taste for things. As far as the different reading it just happens. I find the longer I have diabetes the more it happens. Sometimes the exercise before or after the meal may affect your readings. Also did you have the same before reading before bg with both meals? When I was first dx'd 4 years ago I soon realised I would get lots of spikes late mornings even when I had not eaten carbs. I now take one of my metformin tablets late morning to prevent that spike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made chilli last night for the Super Bowl and my son requested I make white rice. I didn't even have the urge to taste it. It is amazing how you lose your taste for things. As far as the different reading it just happens. I find the longer I have diabetes the more it happens. Sometimes the exercise before or after the meal may affect your readings. Also did you have the same before reading before bg with both meals? When I was first dx'd 4 years ago I soon realised I would get lots of spikes late mornings even when I had not eaten carbs. I now take one of my metformin tablets late morning to prevent that spike.
Actually I didn´t measured before meals because was Sat/Sun, so woke up around 11 o´clock. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts